Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

camaro race

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:38 AM
menehune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are all the races being talked about is on the street. I won't take any sides, my close friends have V8's that are tried and true to the strip and the street, but I think the disputes should be taken to the strip. Surely one can find a GT,cobra,Z28, or firebird that wouldn't mind "lining it up" with us Z's.

I praise all the visitors to the forum, they have all too respectable numbers for their rides.

Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 AM
350Z33

Originally posted by 94 TA GT
Incase you were refering to me, I was here before you were . And it doesn't do any good, they were but trying to make a point that it peaks at 2000 AND stays there till redline, which means it's in it's peak TQ virtually all the time.
I wasn't reffering to you or anyone in particular. You seem to bring valid arguments and good points to the discussion. I just meant the guys who register here with nothing smart to say... but its a free world.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:17 PM
StockLT1

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Just a little FYI

STOCK LT1 f-bodies are literal DOGS on the highway

I ran a couple auto LT1s with my bolt-on Maxima (no juice) on the highway and slowly pulled every one of them.
Lol, thats a myth. They aren't as strong as LS1's up top, but there's nothing that makes their horsepower less powerful on the freeway. A stock LT1's torque curve is falt from 2000-4800 RPM, then falls off a bit but the horsepwoer stays pretty flat after that. Weird stuff happens in street racing though.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by StockLT1
Lol, thats a myth. They aren't as strong as LS1's up top, but there's nothing that makes their horsepower less powerful on the freeway. A stock LT1's torque curve is falt from 2000-4800 RPM, then falls off a bit but the horsepwoer stays pretty flat after that. Weird stuff happens in street racing though.
I'm just speaking from experience. For example, last fall me and a bunch of guys had a shootout at the strip in BEAUTIFUL weather (55-60F, sunny and almost NO humidity). I had my maxima with a 50-shot and was running 14.0-14.2@98-99 all day long. There were 2 LT1s in our group. One was a stock 6-speed trans am and the other was a lightly modded auto Z28 (intake, shift-kit, cat-back IIRC). Both were pulling 14.2-14.4@96-98mph all day, and I would consistantly beat them down the track every run. My Z is a good bit quicker than my maxima was...especially at highway speeds. So from "my" experience the Z gets the nod from a roll with an LT1, and it's a driver's race from a stop.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:08 PM
StockLT1

First, I was referring to the LT1's top end sucks comment, not saying anything about a 350Z vs. an Lt1. That should be a close race. With great drivers in both cars I'd give the nod to the 350Z by a couple of tenths at the track. Nothing that driver error or reaction time couldn't tip the other way though.

Second, my experience with LT1's at the track has been very different. Those guys need some driving lessons or a tune up, in air like that there shouldn't be a problem hitting very low 14's/high 13's, especially an auto with the mods you listed. With basic bolt-ons (CAI and full exhaust w/shorty headers) I've trapped 106+ and pulled pretty consistent low 13 second passes. I've seen autos do nearly the same ET with those mods but at a lower mph. But I don't want to turn this into a huge f-body vs. 350Z thread, there's plenty of those already. I'll just say LT1's aren't dogs.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
sukkoi19

I like your sig stockLT1, that chicagoez guy is rather amusing isnt he.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Zmeflyby

i also raced a 94ish z28 the other month and pulled about 1/2 - 1 car length on the interstate. it was a close race though.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:24 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

First, I was referring to the LT1's top end sucks comment, not saying anything about a 350Z vs. an Lt1. That should be a close race. With great drivers in both cars I'd give the nod to the 350Z by a couple of tenths at the track. Nothing that driver error or reaction time couldn't tip the other way though.

Second, my experience with LT1's at the track has been very different. Those guys need some driving lessons or a tune up, in air like that there shouldn't be a problem hitting very low 14's/high 13's, especially an auto with the mods you listed. With basic bolt-ons (CAI and full exhaust w/shorty headers) I've trapped 106+ and pulled pretty consistent low 13 second passes. I've seen autos do nearly the same ET with those mods but at a lower mph. But I don't want to turn this into a huge f-body vs. 350Z thread, there's plenty of those already. I'll just say LT1's aren't dogs.
I said lack of top end becuase my modded maxima with 180whp could pull them on the highway.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:48 PM
StockLT1

Like I said, weird stuff happens on the street, like 180 whp cars pulling on cars that have 50-70 more RWHP.

Last edited by StockLT1; 01-13-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:58 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Like I said, weird stuff happens on the street, like 180 whp cars pulling on cars that have 50-70 more RWHP.
my car also weighed in at just under 3000 lbs.....
Old 01-13-2003, 09:16 PM
StockLT1

I'm not doubting you man. Anything can and will happen in street racing, and your maxima (off the bottle) isn't that far from a stock LT1's times or trap speeds.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I'm not doubting you man. Anything can and will happen in street racing, and your maxima (off the bottle) isn't that far from a stock LT1's times or trap speeds.
it is SO true that ANYTHING can happen in a street race. I ran a LS1 trans am once out of a light with the maxima (off the bottle) and this kid couldn't drive worth anything. His launch consisted of a smoke show, and when he finally hooked up and starting reeling me in, he MISSED second, dropped to about 4 cars back, and then started gaining again, he gets to about 1.5-2 cars back and MISSES THIRD!!! at this point I was laughing my *** off and I let off just before 100 mph about 4 carlenghs ahead of a car that SHOULD have been 10 carlengths in front of me....
Old 01-13-2003, 09:37 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by sukkoi19
Not to start a flame war but what does how fast you can shift have to do with torque not meaning anything nowadays. I can shift the old 4 speed toploader just as fast as my T-56 and the 4 speed in the stroked 427 is going to waste my Z28. Torque and horsepower go hand in hand, I dont have the faintest clue in how to figure out all the mathematical equations that go with them, but to say that torque doesnt matter is foolhardy. Most cars with lots of torque in my experiance are usually faster more and more responsive. I got that from driving an S2000, I mean its got good HP but almost non-existant torque I had to winfd the hell out of it to get any thrust, while my old LT1 would jerk me around with barely any pedal pressure. You guys need to go over to LS1.com and get in the magazine racing forum, I'll admit alot of it is over the top, but there are some guys over there that really know about this theoretical crap. But the things can go diferent on the street. I just dont think an LT1 is a waste of a 350Zs time, thats a good match up for you guys and to act like you could care less if you beat it is BS.

Just a few comments. First, all cars require full throttle travel to get full HP at whatever RPM you are on. However, many cars have pedals, that for whatever reason, get you about 90% throttle with only 50% movement. That can make a car feel more powerful.

Second, in any car, you will get the best acceleration when you are in the lowest feasible gear. So yes, you will need to wind up the S2000, but at the same time, the S2000 is just as fast as other cars with the same HP/Weight ratio even though the engine puts out less torque. You will also need to wind up any other car to take advantage of its power.

Finally, I didn't mean to imply that torque doesn't matter, just that HP is far more important. Big torque is good because it typically requires a large engine, which means that it will have lots of low end power, and will be easy to drive. Now, when you have a high revving, low torque engine, you will need to keep it in the upper rpm ranges to take advantage of the power. Also, smaller engines are typically more peaky, although these days many high revving engines still have a linear torque curve. Therefore if you have a shifter that is easy and quick, you can easily downshift when required and the torque is no longer a factor.

I do know the theory behind torque, power, gearing, etc, so that's why I am comfortable arguing with the initial premise that HP sells cars and torque wins races. It is truly HP that is most important (but I wouldn't turn away from an engine with plenty of both, hehe). Actually HP is second behind a good driver.

-D'oh!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:15 PM
joeshow750

They way I've always thought of it is: more torque is needed for more weight. Which is why motorcyckes are extremely fast with very little torque...because of their low weight. F-350's are slow with GOBS of torque but can pull anything. Without hp torque is useless as far as speed goes. You could have a car with 3000ft lbs of torque and 1 hp (theoretically) and it would be slow as hell, but the it's top speed would be the same if you were pulling your house with it! And with alot of weight, hp is useless without torque. If you had a car with 3000 hp and 1 ft lb torque and the car weighed 3000lbs...well, you probably couldn't even get the thing rolling!
Love the torque vs HP argument .