Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 06:06 PM
wildone_106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?

Some guys in the bimmer forum thought a 22K GT could match or beat a 350z...arrogant Bstards
Old 12-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Old Skooler

I punked a Mustang the other day easily...but I don't know if it was a GT or not, I didn't get a chance to see the rear of his car.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:44 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z is about .3 seconds faster in the 1320 than the GT...
Old 12-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Old Skooler

I guess the one I raced prolly wasn't a GT then...
Old 12-07-2002, 09:44 AM
BigBadBuford

I raced a '98 GT with flowmasters and an offroad H-pipe, and I pulled on him from a roll pretty easily. I haven't raced a new mustang yet, but I read a post on another message board (LS1.com, I think) I read a post from a Mustang driver about being beat by a new Z. When I was at Cecil County the other week, I also noticed that the Z traps about 4-6 mph faster than a stock GT, but the GTs seem to consistently have better E.T.s. With the solid rear axle and a decent amount of torque, the mustang can jump off the line pretty quickly, so on the street from a stop, a GT might be hard to beat.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:17 AM
roberto350z

I beat an f-body, and that should be quiker than mustang (off the line)
Old 12-08-2002, 12:10 PM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by BoostedStang

I hope this helps you guys? 13.71 in BONE STOCK FORM, this was at 101mph, so unless the 350Z is traping like 106-107 it is not 5mph faster than the GT!!
How many of you guys have been to the track, have any of ya'll run faster than 13.71? I bet you can, it will just take time for you guys to really learn the car, good luck.
I had my Z to the track and the same night I was running every stock Mustang GT I saw running (new body style) was trapping between 95 and 96 mph. I was trapping over 100 every run. The Mustang guys E.T. consistently better than I did, but their suspensions are better suited towards drag racing than the Z.

It was my first night at the track with the Z, and yes, it does take a while to learn to drive the car. I am sure once we have more people at the track we will see 13.7's or maybe even better out of the Z, especially ones on either drag radials or slicks.

What magazine was that quote from? I know there is at least 1 Mustang magazine (I think it is MM&FF), that usually runs awesome times in all their cars, like a high 12 out of a bone stock LS1. I'd like to see what they could do with a 350Z, but I dont think we'll ever see that.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:50 PM
ChicagoEZ

Default Mustangs 5.SLOW

i Walked manual 2000 corbra convertible, i mean walked him
Dont even bother with mustangs their NOTHING.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Wicked4u2c

Boostedstang relax buddy, I have a friend who has a new mustang GT and let me tell you that 13.7 run was probably run on slicks. My buddy with different gear ratios flowmaster exhaust and no cats was running a best of 14.1@101 Now when he ran it stock he was doing about 14.5. I know a lot has to do on the track and temp outside, well this was at sealevel and was at one of the best tracks around (POMONA RACEWAY) in California. I hate it when some "Domestics" think they are all mighty and powerful. Of course the 03 mustang will walk on a Z... IT has a SUPERCHARGER. Let me go slap on a supercharge on my Z and we will see who's behind. I am not here to start trouble as I myself use to own a SALEEN Mustang before. But when I dynoed my car and only had 220whp to the wheels for S281 I was very disapointed! Their is a lot of respectable Domestics out there like the Lingenfelter Corvette. But its always nice to see a car that is running less cylinders smaller displacement walk on the BIG BOYS! Again, no beef here. I have had the best of both worlds and love all of them. But the Z seems to have a mix of both which is why I choose to buy it.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Nealoc187

You guys that think either car is significantly faster than the other in a straight line are fooling yourselves. They are both capable of high 13s and 100ish traps in stock form. People like to quote the slowest times they see for an 'opponent' and yet quote the best times for their own personal car. Try not to let personal bias and brand loyalty blind you in these types of situations, or you may find yourself looking at taillights.

As for comlaining that one car has a better suspension for a certain type of racing, that's valid if both cars are being driven to their potential, but if the driver isn't capable of driving the car well, then the suspension design doesn't have much effect, his times will still just plain suck. Being as it was your first time at the track with the car, I'm sure you can appreciate that it will take some practice to drive it well at the track, but using it's suspension design as a 'reason' for turning bad times is just placing the blame other than where it belongs, on the driver.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Wicked4u2c

I love it when people claim, Oh if I do this my 1/4 mile time is this Anyway, like I said before I have had the best of both worlds. And I know their is mustang owners that prowl these boards but I hate mustangs because I have had 2 of them. One a GT and one a Saleen. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have a lot of respect for domestic vehicles and personally like Chevy over Ford. But remember, imports always have nicer looks, and sure your V8 powered monster should be making more horsepower. It would be a shame to see it lose to a car that has 2 less cylinders and less displacement wouldn't you say so.. But than again, some 350z owners have been running 13.8 stock.. Not to shabby if you ask me. for a V6.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:08 AM
ou812

chicago ez i dont think they made a 2000 cobra 99 & 01 i think
Old 12-09-2002, 09:28 AM
RD99SS

I think that it is a drivers race, both cars can acheive low 14's to high 13's properly driven with traps of 98~101 for both.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 AM
ChicagoEZ

Default Woops

I just said it was a 2000 cuz it was the newer bodystyle, and yes he had a cobras on the sides, and cobra on his rear bumber and he had some kind of exhuast that sounded really mean, but i WALKED HIM, AND I WALKED HIM BAD, so bring your Boosted RUSTNAG out to the windy City and get BLOWN AWAY !!!!
Mwhahahaha mwhahahahah, Really all you have to do is park a Z next to ANY < AND I MEAN ANY MOOSESTANK and youll always have a superior car

laters
Old 12-09-2002, 01:10 PM
ChicagoEZ

Last time i will graciously extend this offer, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS,

Come to the windy city, AND get BLOW AWAY"
yup thats how i phrased it

no more Blah blah, walk the walk STANKEY MOOSE

im under the impression that
COMBACKS AND NAME CALLING, although disstasteful,
its all pure sport, I HAVE WAY TO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS TODAY SORRY NORMAL PEOPLE

Quick Reply: Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?