Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

camaro race

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:27 PM
zogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro race

I had my first camaro race on the highway. I am not one to brag, but the Z28 (lt1) was not much of a race. He started it, he revved his engine, then down shifted. I pulled ahead right away to about 4 car lengths and then waited. We did that 3 more times, he never could gain, I slowed down every time once I was 4 lengths ahead. The Z28 was stock, I could tell by the exhaust and sound. I wasn't even going to bother, but he insisted.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:10 AM
CrazyBosnian

Good kill, not to say you are lying, but are u sure its was an LT1 and not just a V6 because u say u pulled 4 car lengsts right away, and an LT1 car has about the same power as u, so to pull that kind of car lenghts u would need to have a lot more power...Just wondering, maybe the driver sucked too...
Old 01-11-2003, 08:11 AM
zogan

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
Good kill, not to say you are lying, but are u sure its was an LT1 and not just a V6 because u say u pulled 4 car lengsts right away, and an LT1 car has about the same power as u, so to pull that kind of car lenghts u would need to have a lot more power...Just wondering, maybe the driver sucked too...
I am sure it was an lt1, I could tell by the exhaust tips, those z28 rectangle dual flared tips. It was an older white z28 w/ the z28 logo, plus it didn't sound like camaro's POS V6 model, I am talking like 94'. I don't know about the person's driving capabilities b/c I was focusing on my downshift.

According to;

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/che...tml?id=lin0066

It only has 275 HP stock and weighs 3400lbs. I don't really have any mods except the presilencer and K&N, but I doubt those were anything to do about the race. I have raced many Lt1's in my past. Like I said in the prev. post, I didn't write this to brag or prove anything, just thought people would be interested.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:34 AM
350Z33

Good Kill
Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 AM
94 TA GT

I find it fishy that you walked a car that generally puts out equal or more RWHP, significantly more torque, weighs almost identical to you, and generally the same, if not better 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. But anything can happen on the street. It's possible he didn't downshift correctly.

(I did post this on the other thread, and I meant to post it here, but I couldn't delete it on the other thread)
Old 01-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Bobby C 01TA

all cars are different so the best way to see how much power u are putting out is to get some dyno numbers.. i've seen lt1s vary up to 30rwhp from the same year model with same mods.. some are ringers some arent.. but the 350z and lt1 may be a close race but the faster the speeds get i'm betting on the LT1.. Good luck if u come across an LS1 though.. we ran a bone stock TA 6 speed against a bone stock 350 6 speed off a 45 punch and automatically the ls1 had a car on the z.. the Z was hanging but was slowly falling behind. the race went to 130 and by 130 the LS1 was about 10 cars ahead if not more both with great drivers. The LT1s will dyno higher for sure than the 350zs but maybe only by 25 or 30 rwhp.. compare a LS1 to a 350 and you're comparing apples to oranges when it comes to power.. a average automatic ls1 will put about 30+ out of the factory and i've seen 6 speeds putting out as much as 335 rwhp with nothing on it and 900 miles on the clock and a average 350 puts out what.. around 230rwhp I think.. But its all good.. a race is a race.. have fun This is not a flame.. I love the 350 myself but have experienced encounters with them in races. The 350s are nice to drive around in and have fun in but when dragging a Z, expect to get drug if u are racing a muscle car
Old 01-11-2003, 02:00 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Bobby - that was like one super duper uber long run on sentence but I think I understood it

Anyway - an LT1 powered Camaro should be equal to a Z with maybe a slight advantange at highway speeds. I've seen stock LT1 powered F bodies run mid-high 13s in the 1/4mile with the worst I've ever seen running 14.4, putting it equal to the 350Z if not better.

If the above race was as said, either the driver couldn't drive or the car was either a V6 with the V8 exhaust or the V8 was in series need of being rebuild.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Bobby C 01TA

i was just typing what I was thinking and wouldnt stop LOL.. sometimes I 'll repeat...just want to get the point across ..either way.. win or lose, have fun.. win some.. lose some..anyone wanna go dead stop
Old 01-11-2003, 02:14 PM
zogan

Originally posted by 94 TA GT
I find it fishy that you walked a car that generally puts out equal or more RWHP, significantly more torque, weighs almost identical to you, and generally the same, if not better 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. But anything can happen on the street. It's possible he didn't downshift correctly.

(I did post this on the other thread, and I meant to post it here, but I couldn't delete it on the other thread)
I didn't just automatically fly past this car as if he was standing still. I pulled on him as we kept going. I don't think this guy would put z28 exhaust on his car, According to Nissan, my car weighs 3200 (200lbs lighter) I have 12 more HP. Not saying that stuff would make a huge difference, but we did run on more than once, each time--my win.

Another questions for you skeptics, how many of you guys actually have a 350Z?

I am just stating my win, I didn't start this forum for personal gratification, its not like its going to make my D!ck bigger by winning a race w/ old burnt out lt1 that is worth 4k.

Last edited by zogan; 01-11-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:10 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Oh I have a 350Z, and a 95 Trans Am (although it's got the front end cut off and is getting a full tube frame front end, tubbed, and a big bad motor). I'm more then familar with both. I also have 4 other cars. It's not that I'm skeptical, it just seems odd that it was that easy. I also put in other clauses like the motor could be dead or the driver can't drive. As far as you don't think he would put a V8 exhaust on, I've seen it many of times.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:41 PM
94 TA GT

I'm here for the car care forum. One thing I don't get though, is why you say you have 12 more hp, yet the Avg. LT1 gets more to the rear wheels in both aspects of TQ and HP, with a flatter power band. Also, I have seen more than one V6 with a Z28 or TA's exhaust, but I doubt it was a V6, because it wouldn't havew been a contest. Still, I beleive you, Because there are too many varibles, and it is run what ya brung. For all I know, you could be the next John Force. Good Kill.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:27 PM
zogan

Originally posted by 94 TA GT
I'm here for the car care forum. One thing I don't get though, is why you say you have 12 more hp, yet the Avg. LT1 gets more to the rear wheels in both aspects of TQ and HP, with a flatter power band. Also, I have seen more than one V6 with a Z28 or TA's exhaust, but I doubt it was a V6, because it wouldn't havew been a contest. Still, I beleive you, Because there are too many varibles, and it is run what ya brung. For all I know, you could be the next John Force. Good Kill.
I am basing the 12 hp off of the specs, not actual rwhp.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:58 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

One thing that is also really important to note is an LT1 has 325ft-lbs torque, that's 50ft-lbs more then a 350Z. And the max torque is around 2000rpm with a very flat torque curve. Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars .
Old 01-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Narcosynthesis

I've never had a problem destroying a 350Z on the highway
Old 01-12-2003, 09:07 AM
350Z33

Whats up with the invasion of the domestics? I guess its because you guys drive invincible cars that can never lose a race to an import.

What good is max torque at 2000rpm in a highway race? Flat curve or not, that is not changing the max hp number.

LS350Z- If you are going to quote Carrol Shelby at least give him credit for his comment, even though it was only true in his day.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Caswell

I think you'll find a lot of domestic guys lurk on other boards. Most of us are genuine car guys, and I myself am a fan of any true sports car. When a car like the 350Z succeeds in the market it shows that people still want more than a car that just looks sporty. And that's good for all car guys.

As for being invincible, I can only speak for myself when I say that I know I'm not - I got taught that within a week of owning my car when I got my **** handed to me by my neighbor's blown 5.0 LX. I do get sick of the Camaro/Firebird being the target of almost every new sports car or delusional ricer. I only got to drive my Z28 for three months but I was already getting weary of being revved at by fart-canned Preludes and having non-car guys tell me that a 350Z, WRX, or similar car would suck the headlights out of my new baby. Seriously, look around at all of the different car forums - there's almost always some post about a Camaro in the kills section. It is kind of flattering, but it does get old.

As far as the kill goes, anything can happen on the street. Nice job.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:06 PM
94 TA GT

Originally posted by 350Z33
Whats up with the invasion of the domestics? I guess its because you guys drive invincible cars that can never lose a race to an import.

What good is max torque at 2000rpm in a highway race? Flat curve or not, that is not changing the max hp number.

LS350Z- If you are going to quote Carrol Shelby at least give him credit for his comment, even though it was only true in his day.
Incase you were refering to me, I was here before you were . And it doesn't do any good, they were but trying to make a point that it peaks at 2000 AND stays there till redline, which means it's in it's peak TQ virtually all the time.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:43 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caswell,

I think most enthusiasts know that the F-body is just about the fastet, least expensive drag car out there, so everyone wants to race one just to make sure.

LS350Z,

HP actually wins races, now that drivers have manual transmissions that are able to shift at the flick of a switch in less than 1/4 of a second. Torque is no longer very important. Power/weight and balance is what it's all about.

Of couse, in a street car there are few of us that have setups like that, but the only reason people think torque wins races is because those high torque race cars tend to have craploads of power too!

As far as flat torque curves go, if you look at the Z dyno charts, they seem to be at 90% of torque from less than 2500 up to about 5500 RPM. That's pretty flat too.

-D'oh!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:34 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little FYI

STOCK LT1 f-bodies are literal DOGS on the highway

I ran a couple auto LT1s with my bolt-on Maxima (no juice) on the highway and slowly pulled every one of them.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:43 PM
sukkoi19

Not to start a flame war but what does how fast you can shift have to do with torque not meaning anything nowadays. I can shift the old 4 speed toploader just as fast as my T-56 and the 4 speed in the stroked 427 is going to waste my Z28. Torque and horsepower go hand in hand, I dont have the faintest clue in how to figure out all the mathematical equations that go with them, but to say that torque doesnt matter is foolhardy. Most cars with lots of torque in my experiance are usually faster more and more responsive. I got that from driving an S2000, I mean its got good HP but almost non-existant torque I had to winfd the hell out of it to get any thrust, while my old LT1 would jerk me around with barely any pedal pressure. You guys need to go over to LS1.com and get in the magazine racing forum, I'll admit alot of it is over the top, but there are some guys over there that really know about this theoretical crap. But the things can go diferent on the street. I just dont think an LT1 is a waste of a 350Zs time, thats a good match up for you guys and to act like you could care less if you beat it is BS.

Quick Reply: camaro race