Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Racing Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 04:36 PM
mcclaskz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Helmets?

I just got a G-Force, Pro Force 1 helmet for christmas to use at some Z track days. It is a full face helmet that is SA2000 and fairly comfortable, the range of view is pretty good. I don't think I coud comfortably wear glasses though. Does anyone else have any good or bad coments about other helmets? I almost went with a Bell M2, or Bell Sport 2.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:50 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a helmet from www.ridegear.com and picked it up from their shop since it is right by my house. They have motorcycle equipment, so I ended up with a full face helment with the M2000 (instead of SA2000) rating. It is also DOT 18 sumthin sumthin compliant.

The brand and model was an HJC AC-10. At the time they were selling for $120.00. I've only had it to one AutoX, but I will be using at Laguna Seca at the end of the month.

I wanted something that was inexpensive, lightweight, with a quickly removeable faceshield, and the AC-10 has all that (it is supposed to weigh <3 lbs, which was lighter than most other helmets I saw). It also has a bunch of motorcycle stuff like a breath deflector, chin deflector, and vents that can be closed, but I don't use any of that stuff.

So far I really like it.

-D'oh!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:01 AM
zPilott

I just recently bought the Bell M2 Pro helmet and I am pretty happy with it. It is fairly easy to put on and remove my eye glasses, though I have worn my contacts when I was using it. I tried wearing it on my motorcycle, and it lifts A LOT, starting around 80 mph, I will probably try to get something to help with that and the wind coming in under the chin. The other thing that I am a little worried about is that no where on the helmet (that I can find) does it say that it is SA2000 rated (though it is) The only place that says it is the box.

Anyway, the helmet is super light, much lighter than my motorcycle helmet, and the lining is really comfortable. I decided to get the M2 Pro (for about 150 more than the standard M2) because of the light weight, the liner, and for a better fit (the pro version has 1/8 sizes, the standard just has S, M, L, etc).

From reading through the snell website, I think that the main difference betseen SA00 and M00 is that SA has protection against fire, which M doesn't. The M also seems to have a larger eyeport, and wider field of view.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:05 PM
cultcar

Got a cheapo now, but will upgrade to a Simpson soon.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Michael-Dallas

I got a Bieffe RT Series helmet for x-mas from allgear.net for $80. It's Snell 2000 certified.

Michael.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:29 PM
brianw

I've got a cheap GF750 from racerwholesale, Snell SA2000 rated. Works well enough.

It's not especially light or anything, but it works. IIRC another importance difference between M and SA rated helmets is that SA-rated helmets are also designed to absorb multiple impacts (from a single accident).
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 AM
zPilott

I took out the liner in my M2, but didn't see the sticker, I will have to go check again. Thanks for the info.