Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Supercharged Integra GSR vs Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Integra GSR vs Z

My brother's friend has a 2000 Integra GSR with a supercharger, MSD ignition, intake, exhaust and headers, a sport clutch kit and 17 inch 225's.. Only 12K miles on it . Now we are planning on heading up to the dragway in April when it opens, he has never raced before and he's not exactly mario andretti with his shifts and skillz just yet since he bought the car like that and has not been an aggressive driver in the past... And he is not the type that brags or says his car's faster or anything, he just wants to race around.. But I have to wait till March for my Z

What I am wondering is what would you think he would run with those mods? I would think it would be close with the Z?? Stock GS-R's run about a best with a good launch a 15.7@91 ish.. So with the above mods I would think the car would be capable of at 14.5@99 or possibly better? I just want to know what I am getting into cuz I know where gonna be messing around on the 60 miles drive all highway to the track..

All and all it WILL be fun..

BTW- If anybody in the Boston or New England area is interested in rolling with me with my Z, a SCed GSR and a modded 2000 Celica GTS to New England Dragway this season let me know! The more the merrier!

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 01-13-2003 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:58 AM
350Z33

Your going to have your hands full with a SuperCharged GS-R, with those mods he should be running in the low 14s... but if hes not the best driver in the world you'll be alright. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by gastons2k
Bone Stock GS-Rs can run 15.1s with little difficulty.
Maybe for a pro racer with clutch wrecking launch techniques..

I am a regular at the track (street nights) and I see stock GS-Rs running around 15.6-15.9 drivin by your average joe and lightly modded with intake, exhaust 15.2-15.6.. I usually see anywhere from 2-10 varied integra run a night. I am sure of this because my friend runs in the same range with his 2000 Celica GTS with AEM intake Exhaust and were always watching for who to have close races with to line up..
Old 01-13-2003, 10:20 AM
RD99SS

I have seen a turboed Integra GSR run a 13.5 at New England Dragway last year trapping around 106...but he had alot of weight reduction and other stuff...could be interesting
Old 01-13-2003, 11:04 AM
350_Z

If he can drive expect anywhere from a 13.7 to a 14.3. The superchargers aren't the best for 1/4 mile runs, but on the street they can move pretty well. I have a supercharged Prelude and it feels every bit as fast as the 350z I drove. But my car is soon to go back to stock so I can get the 350z.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:25 PM
CottonWoodz

Originally posted by gastons2k
Bone Stock GS-Rs can run 15.1s with little difficulty.
Try 15.6 all day
Old 01-13-2003, 01:34 PM
DBTRACK

Originally posted by 350_Z
If he can drive expect anywhere from a 13.7 to a 14.3. The superchargers aren't the best for 1/4 mile runs, but on the street they can move pretty well. I have a supercharged Prelude and it feels every bit as fast as the 350z I drove. But my car is soon to go back to stock so I can get the 350z.
I did the same thing.....I had a JRSC on my 99 prelude and got rid of it for the Z!!!!!!!!!!

Any way....a friend of mine has a supercharged GSR with other bolt ons and runs a 13.8 pretty consistantly......At this point in time, until you mod the Z....it will be a pretty close race
Old 01-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Cool, I am real anxious to get my car.. It should be a good race anyway you look at it..
Old 01-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Zmeflyby

SCed gsrs should be in the 13 second zone if hes an average driver. but if he drives like ***** with 10 nose rings..then he should be running around 14s. mid 14s to be exact
Old 01-16-2003, 07:02 AM
daddy Z

Originally posted by DBTRACK
[B supercharged GSR with other bolt ons and runs a 13.8 pretty consistantly......At this point in time, until you mod the Z....it will be a pretty close race [/B]
in this family we have both ... son with a JRSC GSR and me with a Z

The gsr takes the z no mater if I drive the z or he drives it (driver not a factor)
Old 01-18-2003, 03:14 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are ALOT of factors that go into how well the supercharged GSR will do in a Run with the 350Z. I've seen S/Ced GSRs run everything from Mid 14s to high 12s...all depends on other mods, including boost level (pully size) especially. I highly doubt a GSR with just the basic JRSC kit, full exhaust and MSD ignition will run much better than mid to low 14s at best.

If the supercharger has a smaller pully it could be quicker.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:52 AM
menehune

Better be prepared, April is a month's time away. Your brother's friend will have ample time to practice.
But if you lose the first time, make sure you don't lose the second.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:05 AM
SpyVO

To me it sounds like the effects of the intake and full exhaust will be amplified by the supercharger. A bolt on n/a 2 liter isn't much, unless you're talking about an S2000 (and those aren't THAT much since that motor is pretty much maxed). But take a forced induction car and add full exhaust, and you're GOING to notice the difference.

So I'll say that if he DOES have a pulley that gives him 'more than a little' (yes that's a technical term ) boost, he'll be a tough car to beat. If he's got stock internals, he may not need much boost to really go good. And those 17" wheels probably won't help his launch that much.

That's my take. Maybe I'll be at Epping when this goes down.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Mrsideways

Alright, I have a buddy that ran a 14.3 on street tires with I/H/E and a clutch in his GSR, his first time to the strip. And a friend that used to have a turbo GSR with 6lbs of boost that ran a 12.9 his first time at a drag strip. But I also know people with GSR's that are yet to break out of the 15's. and I know a Supercharged GSR running High 14's. So you never know.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:25 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mrsideways
Alright, I have a buddy that ran a 14.3 on street tires with I/H/E and a clutch in his GSR, his first time to the strip. And a friend that used to have a turbo GSR with 6lbs of boost that ran a 12.9 his first time at a drag strip. But I also know people with GSR's that are yet to break out of the 15's. and I know a Supercharged GSR running High 14's. So you never know.

12.9 in a turbo gsr @6 lbs? i dont think so....but whats the rest of his setup?

reason some jrsc gsrs run poor times is because of traction problems....they r capable of high 13s with the typical jrsc bolton kit
Old 01-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Mrsideways

It's his old car before I met him, He now has an S2000 but let me take a stab at what I remember him telling me what was in it.

His best friend from college owns the local performace shop intown and has a Drag strip Civic hatch with a GSR motor that makes over 500 fwhp. His Block is the one that was in my friends GSR.
He had JE pistons, and I believe crowler rods, Stock crank, the block was sleeved but I can't remember what sleeves. The head had a 5 angle valve job and I believe the pistons were 9.0:1 compression but i'm not sure. He had a Garret T3/T4 and his friend made all the pipeing I believe. Stock ECU and Stock injectors and a Tanabe exhaust. He never turned the boost above 6 lbs because he didn't have the fuel system or computer to do it. It made 290fwhp. Boost came on right at vtec so the turbo was pulling hard right till redline, which is key for good times. He said he never came up aginst a car that could pull him on the interstate. I believe the car weighed in at just over 2500lbs. He sold the car because he was sick of owning a modified car. Which is the same reason I sold my miata. Modified cars suck. Leave it stock!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:34 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mrsideways
It's his old car before I met him, He now has an S2000 but let me take a stab at what I remember him telling me what was in it.

His best friend from college owns the local performace shop intown and has a Drag strip Civic hatch with a GSR motor that makes over 500 fwhp. His Block is the one that was in my friends GSR.
He had JE pistons, and I believe crowler rods, Stock crank, the block was sleeved but I can't remember what sleeves. The head had a 5 angle valve job and I believe the pistons were 9.0:1 compression but i'm not sure. He had a Garret T3/T4 and his friend made all the pipeing I believe. Stock ECU and Stock injectors and a Tanabe exhaust. He never turned the boost above 6 lbs because he didn't have the fuel system or computer to do it. It made 290fwhp. Boost came on right at vtec so the turbo was pulling hard right till redline, which is key for good times. He said he never came up aginst a car that could pull him on the interstate. I believe the car weighed in at just over 2500lbs. He sold the car because he was sick of owning a modified car. Which is the same reason I sold my miata. Modified cars suck. Leave it stock!
12.9 is possible with 290fwhp and a 2500lb car. He must have had slicks too...right?

While this is possible, it's definitely NOT the norm...Most boosted GS-Rs are running around with stock internals, stock fuel systems and haven't even had a dyno tune...thats why the numbers vary so much. I agree with leaving it stock...or near stock...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:03 AM
nwind21

For fun me and my friend "raced" a little for fun a few weeks back.

He has a supercharged GSR w/ exhaust, suspension, underdrive pulley.

The Z did fine... it was pretty fair neck and neck, i.e. even though from a rolling start we might not start at the same point, neither of us really gained over each other ( I think the second time we ran, he started to pull though; the first time was on a curved section ).

My other friend riding in shotgun made the comment... "man, I love this car... it accelerates so smoothly you don't even notice how fast you're going. "

Yeah if your friend wants to go for a race, I'd do it just for curiosities sake. Nothing wrong in losing. Remember he does has a FI car and your Z is NA (not to mention stock). Just be safe. When we did it we didn't push it for very long because of cops and spots of traffic.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Zmeflyby

most sc'ed gsrs r fairly quick..but traction has alwayz been a prob. with fwd cars. damn a 14.3 with just i/h/e and a clutch?..he must really know how to launch that bish

Quick Reply: Supercharged Integra GSR vs Z