Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

is ford for real?(350Z vs mustang GT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 02:47 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is ford for real?(350Z vs mustang GT)

well heres the setup, Im at a stoplight just waiting. got a kia or somethin next to me, so Im not planning on anything fancy here. VDC is on.

so the light turns green and I pull ahead, at about the time when the clutch is all the way out a mustang pulls onto the road... let me clarify that, Im pulling through an intersection, he makes a right onto the same road, me being in the fast lane, and him pulling onto the other lane. Im about half way through the intersection by the time he's heading straight. I figure, ah hell, fun time. and floor it. well, it quickly became apparent that I wasnt gaining quickly, he had made the turn quickly in front of traffic to get with me I assume. so Im going through it, and we are not budging on each other that I can tell, hes about 2 car lengths ahead simply cause he turned onto the road about 2 car lengths in front of me.

so were pushing it, and slowly but surely Im creeping up(and through the race a creeped up faster), first I match his rear bumper, then by about 100, Im even with him. and by about 130(yeah this was a high speed race from about 10-135) I could see him in my side view mirror he was so far behind.

it was sad, there was no launch, Id say we got off to a pretty even start and if not I still was far behind him from the start. the Z pulled it through perfectly. it was an easy kill.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran one yesterday. 2001-2002 Black 5-speed GT on I-94 in Michigan heading back from the Detroit auto show. It wasn't even a contest, those things are weak on the highway. I started behind him. He hit it, and I had to feather the gas in 3rd just to keep from hitting him until he moved over in to the next lane. I pulled by EASILY...and as soon as I got just a little in front of him, he let off, and fell back never to be seen again. I used to run into stock 99+ GTs with my bolt on Maxima and I would be about dead even with them from a roll on.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:22 PM
deviousZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the year GT the 98 gt's are slow but 2001 2002 are not to shabby!
Old 01-18-2003, 03:37 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by deviousZ
It depends on the year GT the 98 gt's are slow but 2001 2002 are not to shabby!
I'm taking about the 99-2002 GTs...they all have the same 260hp 4.6L motor...
Old 01-18-2003, 04:58 PM
ares
Veteran

this one was new, the tail end was the new style. it was blue with a white convertable top.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:59 PM
ares
Veteran

oh it also appeared to have rims, but im not totally familiar with fords rim choices, they were like a dark gray inside, and light silver on the outer lip area. I feel like Ive seen em before on other mustangs, so maybe it is an option. other than that I didnt notice an exhaust, and it didnt sound unussually loud to me.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:07 PM
MovingViolation

nice
Old 01-18-2003, 06:43 PM
forpointsex

Nice kill, but not all 99+ mustang are easy kill. Maybe you raced an auto, or worst, auto conv.

The car had bullit rims, so it was a GT. I know mustangs are a dime a dozen, but I had a rough time finding one in a 5 speed.

Anyway, a mustang after 120MPH must be shifted into 5th gear, which is over drive. It's not gona pull much in 5th.

A 350z might have more HP, but a mustang has more tq. I wish everyone would accept that it's a drivers race. Same as the S2000 and the wrx.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Zmeflyby

gts arent that fast, try the 03 cobras. they will eat u alive
Old 01-18-2003, 07:38 PM
ares
Veteran

might be a drivers race, but me vs him, I won.

as for 5th gear, well thats ok, cause I hit the rev limiter by accident in 4th and went straight to 6th, but still continued to gain. we both went into over drive.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:49 PM
SpyVO

Originally posted by ares
might be a drivers race, but me vs him, I won.
Good for you.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by forpointsex
Nice kill, but not all 99+ mustang are easy kill. Maybe you raced an auto, or worst, auto conv.

The car had bullit rims, so it was a GT. I know mustangs are a dime a dozen, but I had a rough time finding one in a 5 speed.

Anyway, a mustang after 120MPH must be shifted into 5th gear, which is over drive. It's not gona pull much in 5th.

A 350z might have more HP, but a mustang has more tq. I wish everyone would accept that it's a drivers race. Same as the S2000 and the wrx.
Did you not read my post?? I raced a 5-speed GT coupe...and was pulling HARD on him. I've raced MANY 99+ GTs with my BOLT-ON MAXIMA which is nowhere near as quick as my Z...and I either hung with or beat all of them. I know what stock GTs are capable of...and the BEST that I've seen on a drag strip out of a stock one was 14.2@99 (I know they can pull 13.9xx with a sick launch in perfect conditions...but thats not the norm AT ALL)....and that's their strength...NOT highway pull. Like you said; they have lots of torque, but not as much hp...and NO top end.

S2000 is relatively close to the performance of the Z, but you have to flog the **** out of them to get them to move.

WRX...come on dude...those thing trap 92-94mph in the 1/4 mile....no where NEAR what a Z traps. The only reason they run MID 14s is because of their AWD launch that can net them 1.7-1.8 60ft times.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by SpyVO
Good for you.

If you're not going to add anything at least semi-intelligent to the conversation, why do you even post??
Old 01-19-2003, 04:08 AM
LSs1Power

Mustang GT's from 99-03 all have the same power. 99-03 GT mustangs have the T45 and stock 3.27 gearing have a bad 4th gear for highway runs. The 4th gear on the mustang 99-03 GT and 99 Cobra end at 150mph(very long gear, makes accleration slow with only 220-235rwhp stock). I used to have a 99 Cobra with the same trans that the GT have and i used to shift to 5th at 150mph. Even the Cobra with the almost 50rwhp difference wasnt that fast after shifting to 4th. I used to jump on some LS1's(beating the Driver not the car) from a stop till 3rd gear and after i shift to 4th any LS1 will start gaining on the 99 Cobra. At last Ford noticed this problem and they did put 3.55 gears in the new MACH 1 with stronger tranny than the T45 and shorter gears too. The new MACH 1 has a nice top as well as a nice launch now. Anyways if u want to race a (stock)mustang GT or a bullitt with the Z try a highway roll at 3rd gear(65mph) and u will always win. Sorry for the long replay and good luck .
Old 01-19-2003, 05:36 AM
SpyVO

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
If you're not going to add anything at least semi-intelligent to the conversation, why do you even post??
I didn't know that street racing was the past time of the intellects. Sorry if you can't take a compliment.

Last edited by SpyVO; 01-19-2003 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:13 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by SpyVO
I didn't know that street racing was the past time of the intellects. Sorry if you can't take a compliment.
Compliment?!?! I could sense your sarcasm from a mile away, you are obvisouly a sarcastic mustang troll. Shall I point out your other posts in which you used sarcasm and talked about how awesome the mustang is?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:16 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by LSs1Power
Mustang GT's from 99-03 all have the same power. 99-03 GT mustangs have the T45 and stock 3.27 gearing have a bad 4th gear for highway runs. The 4th gear on the mustang 99-03 GT and 99 Cobra end at 150mph(very long gear, makes accleration slow with only 220-235rwhp stock). I used to have a 99 Cobra with the same trans that the GT have and i used to shift to 5th at 150mph. Even the Cobra with the almost 50rwhp difference wasnt that fast after shifting to 4th. I used to jump on some LS1's(beating the Driver not the car) from a stop till 3rd gear and after i shift to 4th any LS1 will start gaining on the 99 Cobra. At last Ford noticed this problem and they did put 3.55 gears in the new MACH 1 with stronger tranny than the T45 and shorter gears too. The new MACH 1 has a nice top as well as a nice launch now. Anyways if u want to race a (stock)mustang GT or a bullitt with the Z try a highway roll at 3rd gear(65mph) and u will always win. Sorry for the long replay and good luck .
I agree, put some better gearing in a Stang GT and it will give a stock Z a run for it's money...it's not that the motor is weak or something (because it's not at all), it just has crappy gearing.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:04 AM
CrazyBosnian

Very nice kill ares, now when are me and u gonna race???
Old 01-19-2003, 08:24 AM
ares
Veteran

hahahahahaha, if your in atlanta we'll have to find a good time to get a group together for a trip to the drag strip. get a good quality race in.

tho I dont think Im gonna be beating you any time soon....
Old 01-19-2003, 08:50 AM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by ares
hahahahahaha, if your in atlanta we'll have to find a good time to get a group together for a trip to the drag strip. get a good quality race in.

tho I dont think Im gonna be beating you any time soon....
Speaking of a strip, there will be a whole bunch of us (10-15) going down to silver dollar, this next saturday...We'd love to have a Z with us so u are more than welcome to come. The racing will be from 12pm and on...Let me know,

Alen

Quick Reply: is ford for real?(350Z vs mustang GT)