Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z vs. 6spd Maxima and GTP video

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:58 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
hey i never asked for a 12 sec gtp..i was referring to the lighty modded ones

and umm a stock 6 speed max close to the 350z?
ur kiddin rite?

27 more horses..and rear wheel drive..
i guess those dont mean much anymore.
*sigh* ignorance is bliss
Old 01-23-2003, 06:36 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember what your argueing here man, your saying some people have gotten 14.0 and 14.1 in 2 years of a car being around, the Z had about 2 months before winter hit, meaning less than 1000 of them could even RACE after being broken in before the white stuff appeared. and you suddenly say the best the Z can do is 13.9? what makes you think those same oddballs that got 14 in a max wont get 13.5 next year. dont quantify the entire Z population at a number based on about 10 peoples first time at the track. I think alot of people will be suprised next season when they start coming out in force and people are more able to launch properly.

and that maxima has a few handicaps, not only 22 less HP, 100 extra lbs, fwd, and around 20 less torque. also a lower redline.

that is of course only considering straight line speed, only reason the weight difference isnt more is because the Z is stiff as a rock.

I went along with rx8 competion, hell Id even take the RSX. but the maxima is a FULL SIZED SEDAN! if your trying to make one fast, you have an identity crisis, go play with the civic EX that thinks its a top fuel dragster.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:38 AM
doug

Originally posted by ares
remember what your argueing here man, your saying some people have gotten 14.0 and 14.1 in 2 years of a car being around, the Z had about 2 months before winter hit, meaning less than 1000 of them could even RACE after being broken in before the white stuff appeared. and you suddenly say the best the Z can do is 13.9? what makes you think those same oddballs that got 14 in a max wont get 13.5 next year. dont quantify the entire Z population at a number based on about 10 peoples first time at the track. I think alot of people will be suprised next season when they start coming out in force and people are more able to launch properly.
the fastest Z so far is 13.7 .. the fastest N/A maxima is 13.8 .. thats only for your knowledge.. nothing more..

I went along with rx8 competion, hell Id even take the RSX. but the maxima is a FULL SIZED SEDAN! if your trying to make one fast, you have an identity crisis, go play with the civic EX that thinks its a top fuel dragster.
identity crisis.. so let me get this straight.. people who buy holden commodores and M5's have identity crisis? i sense a little hostility in your post.. i don't know coupe/sports car owners get defensive and upset when sedans are faster than they are.. i guess that goes with the whole coupe = fast. You really have no right to tell someone what they should be doing with their car. If you wanted a fast coupe. you should have bought a Supra its funny you find an rsx more competition than a maxima? why because it has 2 doors?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 AM
99Prelude_LC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey this is Guy, my gf was the one filming actually anyways the z driver wasn't THAT bad, i mean he was ahead of the maxima on that last race but only in the fuel cutoff/mishift to 4th did he lose the momentum, he slighlty edged out the maxima, and i'd say the maxima with miles, cai, light rims puts down near the same power of a low mile 350z stock, so the 100lb weight difference is really the only advantage he would have.

point being the 350z and maxima are too closely matched in this vid, it was a drivers race and the maxima made no errors.

also i read a few posts on driving a gtp and relating to skill. first of all whoever said you hold the brake down and ease of it as you accelerate has no idea what hes talking about. a car with over 300ftlbs of tq will just sit at the line white smoking his tires if he did that. he has to just control his acceleration with the gas pedal when he takes off. also teh gtp isn't any FASTER than either of those cars, you saw what happend on the 40 punch, both the maxima and 350 pulled on him. its just he was launching his best i've ever seen on the street that night.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:52 AM
PUNK em all 733

identity crisis.. so let me get this straight.. people who buy holden commodores and M5's have identity crisis? i sense a little hostility in your post.. i don't know coupe/sports car owners get defensive and upset when sedans are faster than they are.. i guess that goes with the whole coupe = fast. You really have no right to tell someone what they should be doing with their car. If you wanted a fast coupe. you should have bought a Supra its funny you find an rsx more competition than a maxima? why because it has 2 doors?

Doug I couldn't agree with you more. I get the same crap with my GTP sedan.

AS far as an RSX goes, even tho I'm not a Maxima fanboy, But an 255 HP Maxima 6 speed will blow an RSX out of the water in reverse!

Why would you consider an RSX competition, when a Maxima is running closer times too you?? Just cause it has two doors?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
PUNK em all 733

also i read a few posts on driving a gtp and relating to skill. first of all whoever said you hold the brake down and ease of it as you accelerate has no idea what hes talking about. a car with over 300ftlbs of tq will just sit at the line white smoking his tires if he did that.
I'ma have to take a page out of Doug's book and say...

*sigh*

Ignorance is bliss. To whomever said that.

And also to Prelude_LC, a GTP's strong point is it's launch. I've been able to stay even with LS1 Maro's and firebirds until about 60-70 or so, and then they would just blow me away! At the times of said races I was bone stock, except for a K&N panel filter!

What mods did the GTP have in the vids? Rockers on these cars work wonders.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Larrio

Originally posted by PUNK em all 733

What mods did the GTP have in the vids? Rockers on these cars work wonders.
I/E/Pulley/PCM
Old 01-23-2003, 12:30 PM
PUNK em all 733

Ahhhhh..

That boy needs him some rockers.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 PM
99Prelude_LC

Originally posted by PUNK em all 733

And also to Prelude_LC, a GTP's strong point is it's launch.
no thats what i was getting at, the GTPs strong point is its launch but it was assanine to asume that just because the GTP is an automatic you don't have to have any skill to launch it. The GTP does involve skill was my point, the downside is the automatic on the rolls where it won't downshift i.e. the 40 punch in the video as it stays in 2nd and the top end that suffers after 100ish.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:11 PM
ares
Veteran

M5 is a 80000$ 450hp "sedan" PLEASE dont tell me your comparing the maxima to it. I dont think the M5 compares to the Z either, its WAY WAY above in terms of EVERYTHING, of course including price.

I just highly doubt anyones cross shopping the Z and maxima. is a motorcycle competition with a mclaren? I dont think so. no one wanting one, would instead get the other.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:43 PM
PUNK em all 733

no thats what i was getting at, the GTPs strong point is its launch but it was assanine to asume that just because the GTP is an automatic you don't have to have any skill to launch it. The GTP does involve skill was my point, the downside is the automatic on the rolls where it won't downshift i.e. the 40 punch in the video as it stays in 2nd and the top end that suffers after 100ish.

Like I've said before the full ratio rockers whould help immensely on the top end, and that 40 MPH "dead spot", can be remedied with a DHP PCM.

I know how much skill it takes to launch one. My GTP is modded.

Many ppl have stated that it is much more difficult to launch a modded GTP, than it is to launch a Camaro or Firebird.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:09 PM
doug

M5 is a 80000$ 450hp "sedan" PLEASE dont tell me your comparing the maxima to it. I dont think the M5 compares to the Z either, its WAY WAY above in terms of EVERYTHING, of course including price.

I just highly doubt anyones cross shopping the Z and maxima. is a motorcycle competition with a mclaren? I dont think so. no one wanting one, would instead get the other.
you said sedan.. now you are back pedaling.. your original argument was sedans shouldn't be fast

now you are probably going to tell me maxima's are not fast to begin with.. so why mod them.. so if the maxima isn't fast.. the Z isn't fast ither.. because they are .3 secs diff on performance.. so don't even mod your Z
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
ares
Veteran

again I say stop comparing the best time ever gotten in the maxima to the best time made by about 20 people. also I never said you couldnt mod a maxima, I said dont think you can beat a Z.

ya know what, never mind. you win, your fast, go race your maxima, maybe Ill trade in my Z so I can be as fast as you. or maybe Ill look a bit beyond the .3seconds(which is a pretty good amount(by the way, if you estimate your final speed to be 100mph, .3seconds is 44feet. about 3 car lengths) and then we'll ignore handling and balance. go have fun, mod all you want.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:19 PM
doug

Actually i wouldn't waste my gas on you.. lol..

and i own a 97 maxima.. not a 2002 or 2003
Old 01-23-2003, 07:49 PM
ares
Veteran

sounds good to me, I dont remember offering a race.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Montez

Sedan or not I own both and I know what both cars are capable of and the Max isnot far off at all. Hey Ares I work as a Business Analyst for Nissan and has for 8 years and I see different marketing reports and things from dealers and you would be suprised at how many people wanted a Z in the beginning and ended up with a Maxima. They see that thats not the car for them and end up with the Maxima, anyway happy motoring and enjoy the 3.5 its a wonderful motor no mater if its in the 350,Max,G35 or Alti.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 PM
ares
Veteran

yeah, but that was the point of the Z, attract people then sell them something else. but thats a bit different than what Im saying, if a person WANTS a Z, they might sway over to the S2000, mustang, corvette, WRX, who know what else, but they arent going to choose the maxima cause they think its a faster, better performer. theyll take it cause they need a sedan thats peppy, the GTP is peppy as well, quite obviously, more peppy than the maxima. uh oh, what to do now.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Montez

We all have pretty much the same heart good hearts(3.5) with different bodies, we should stick together and battle against the Acuras,Toyota's etc. Alo Ares back in 92 the Max surpased the 300zx in performance it was faster to 60 and was quicker in the 1/4 mile and it was front wheel drive and had 30 less horsepower and less torque but it managed not to say that this is the case now. Happy motoring
Old 01-24-2003, 01:40 AM
doug

Originally posted by Montez
We all have pretty much the same heart good hearts(3.5) with different bodies, we should stick together and battle against the Acuras,Toyota's etc. Alo Ares back in 92 the Max surpased the 300zx in performance it was faster to 60 and was quicker in the 1/4 mile and it was front wheel drive and had 30 less horsepower and less torque but it managed not to say that this is the case now. Happy motoring

i like this guy

Quick Reply: 350z vs. 6spd Maxima and GTP video