Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350Z vs. '01-'02 ram air TA

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 12:18 PM
JP00SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think you get squiggly in the corners, try an LS1! I think it all comes down to the driver of the LS1. Some can drive, some can't, some are auto with crappy gears, some are M6's. Chances are he was an auto or didn't know how to drive, but in the corners unless he has suspension work, you should pull on him (yes this coming from a F-body owner, Maybe its just my driving ability, but the Z does handle or at least feels alot tighter in the corners)
Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 PM
JP00SS

Yeah. me and CLS off this board went to the tail of the dragon last weekend. For the life of me I couldn't keep up. He is a little more crazy than me when it comes to driving, but I was trying. My car would go into the turns fine, it was just accelerating out where it got scary. I guess it doesn't help that I have bald stock tires though + a whiney *** friend riding with me telling me to slow down
Old 04-21-2003, 01:20 PM
ELESWON

F bodies handle decently well from the factory all things considered. With some money into the suspension, they can be nasty. Its not hard with the right setup and some good tires to get an F body to pull damn close to a g. But one thing i will give you, they are not at all easy cars to pilot around a road course (or twisties on the road). They are wallowy (factory suspesion), tail happy, have a live axle rear and way too much power for their own good on the corner exits. But i have to tell you, that stop light race, you had a non-driving fool. I wont brag on my cars road course performance as of now, but i will tell you this...every single time ive lined up with a 350Z, ive shown him tail lights, and quick. All those negatives i named earlier all of a sudden become positives in the strait away game. I keep seeing post like this time after time, just makes me wonder if every one who bought an LS1 cant drive. Or its just that every one of them that you guys come across cant. But hey, see my most recent post and we can iron all this out real quick. Peace.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Zmeflyby

good run.
yea the ls1 was prolly an auto, seein how u got even with him.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:30 PM
CrazyBosnian

God, why cant i get to race one of you "LS1 beating people"...One of these days i guess i'll get my chance...Good runs, but all i have to say you beat the fool behind the wheel and not the car...

Peace
Old 04-21-2003, 02:50 PM
CLS

Come on up to Athens Crazy! I doubt(I know) I wont beat you, but I will give it a run. Slow down Jason, this is scary. Hahaha!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:03 PM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by CLS
Come on up to Athens Crazy! I doubt(I know) I wont beat you, but I will give it a run. Slow down Jason, this is scary. Hahaha!
Hey, my gf has a grandma she visits often up there, i might just take you up on that offer, it wont really be fair since i'm putting a cam in in about a week (will put me right at oround 400 to the wheels) but its all about fun..

Redline,

Not doubting what happened at all, I said good runs, just makes me mad that people cant drive their car to its full potential...oh and just for the record, the LS1 is underrated, it has about 70 rwhp on ya, not 30....

Last edited by CrazyBosnian; 04-21-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
ELESWON

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
i'm putting a cam in in about a week (will put me right at oround 400 to the wheels) but its all about fun..

I take it your gettin one of the new "cam only" super nasties. Im very interested myself. Sure beats spending 4k for a top end package and only getting 20 more hp for the heads! What specs are you goin with? Just curious.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:25 PM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by ELESWON
I take it your gettin one of the new "cam only" super nasties. Im very interested myself. Sure beats spending 4k for a top end package and only getting 20 more hp for the heads! What specs are you goin with? Just curious.
Hehe, yeah we are on the same page...Originally i was gonna go with the F1 cam (230/226 on 112) a friend of mine made 403 rwhp with it and no tuning on stock heads ...But he's thought me into going bigger so i'm gonna go with a 230/236 on a 112 (with the intake being on XE-R ramp and exhaust on Xe) I figure it should make me some healthy power and will make me happy...Talked to a couple of other people with this "custom" cam, and they love it, so we will see...
Old 04-21-2003, 03:30 PM
mpol99

God, why cant i get to race one of you "LS1 beating people"...One of these days i guess i'll get my chance...Good runs, but all i have to say you beat the fool behind the wheel and not the car...

Peace
Yeah, but your car is NOT stock.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:42 PM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by mpol99
Yeah, but your car is NOT stock.
All the power mods i have is intake and full exhaust, the rest is suspension, so that is pretty far away from being heavily modded, very close to stock actually...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM
mpol99

All the power mods i have is intake and full exhaust, the rest is suspension, so that is pretty far away from being heavily modded, very close to stock actually...
Hehe, I didn't really read your mods carefully. I just assumed you had a lot cause you listed a lot & saw your fast 1/4 mile run. But yeah, you're righ...... **** thats fast with only breathing stuff. Not bad.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:47 AM
JP00SS

Hehe, yeah we are on the same page...Originally i was gonna go with the F1 cam (230/226 on 112) a friend of mine made 403 rwhp with it and no tuning on stock heads ...But he's thought me into going bigger so i'm gonna go with a 230/236 on a 112 (with the intake being on XE-R ramp and exhaust on Xe) I figure it should make me some healthy power and will make me happy...Talked to a couple of other people with this "custom" cam, and they love it, so we will see...
How much do these cam only packages run, where can I look at some specs?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:10 AM
ELESWON

Originally posted by JP00SS
How much do these cam only packages run, where can I look at some specs?
LS1tech.com is the best for technical stuff. The internal engine section is where to look. Do some searches and you will find a ton of info. A full on cam package, including cam, pushrods, springs and retainers will run about a grand. Installation, while you can do it yourself, will set you back probably 200-300 at a shop, which is what im gonna do. Seen too many shadetree fukups cost more than the mod itself to mess with it. I know what i can and cant do. And a i have the best LS1 mechanic in the state. Its all he works on. I rode in a Z06 with bolt ons and a custom cam of his and it puts out 435 rwhp. So nasty. Specs are kinda hush hush, but it barely stays cranked and it surges at 2k rpm . But once you hit 3k rpm, you think you hit a smallish shot of gas. Crazy fast for what it has done to it. But JP, a cam only package with full bolt ons your looking at right close to 400 rwhp (with the right cam) give or take a few (some as high as 420 rwhp!!). Money wise to get from where you are now to that point is probably $3000-cam, headers, ported/polished tb, port and polish mass air, gears, pulley, and tuning. That last one being the very most important. Mind you, you dont have to do it all at once. It should put you high 11s or 12 flat (traction dependant) trapping around 117 mph +/-. Have fun.

PS. If thats not enough, a nice safe 125 shot on top will put you deeeeeeeepp into the 11s (if not high 10s) @ about 122-124 mph.

(Nahh, i never think about any of this stuff)

Last edited by ELESWON; 04-22-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:51 PM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by 1Redline350Z
70? interesting.....I wonder why gm lets their cars be underrated like that.....and i wonder why my friends LS1 Z28 is only dynoing around 315 with intake. Your car is the bomb man....they must have added some extra displacement for ya at the factory that day.

But hey, since we're tellin tales...my 350 is underrated too....it dynos 375rwhp and i've actually done mods to slow it down (putting tar in my engine, replacing stock tires with bald all season radials, and adding an exhaust from an 88 accord). But still 375 rwhp....crazy!
"here we go again...same ol **** dawg just a different day..." - DMX

Your friends LS1 is only dynoing that high because exhaust is the other KEY component. Making the engine breathe is what gives it all the power..this is all so obvious.. and has been said 8 billion times by now. Anyways... the LS1 is rated 305~325 at the CRANK. Imagine if your 350Z was dynoing 285~290 at the wheels. Thats what GM did. Reason? C5 Corvette. Imagine once again that the G35 was rated 320hp at the crank and the 350Z still 287...would it be that big of a surprise if they dyno similar? no. Just conservative numbers thrown out to prevent sales of the Fbody from damaging the Vette sales. Make sense?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:06 PM
StockLT1

Originally posted by 1Redline350Z
70? interesting.....I wonder why gm lets their cars be underrated like that.....and i wonder why my friends LS1 Z28 is only dynoing around 315 with intake. Your car is the bomb man....they must have added some extra displacement for ya at the factory that day.

But hey, since we're tellin tales...my 350 is underrated too....it dynos 375rwhp and i've actually done mods to slow it down (putting tar in my engine, replacing stock tires with bald all season radials, and adding an exhaust from an 88 accord). But still 375 rwhp....crazy!
315 RWHP. That is a lot more than 30 horsepower over 287 at the crank. Most 350Z's are in the 230-240 RWHP range, hence the 60-80 RWHP a stock LS1 will have over a stock 350Z.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. '01-'02 ram air TA