Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 times for Rob Nance @ River City Raceway

Here are my times. I'll comment about them in a reply:

Old 05-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Rob Nance

Well, not sure what was going on. I was real consistent, lol. With the exception of two runs I think they were all within 2 tenths of each other. Run 6 is my best 60 foot, almost dipped into the 1.9x 60 foot range. I think it was just to hot, and to humid. If you plug the temperature and humidity in to a time calculator you get a low 13.6 ET. DeviousZ, AnthZ, nor myself could get 100mph trap. We had a headwind also, so tha certainly doesn't help. The odd thing is, and when I am not so tired I'll post them, Anthz's would have a higher 1/8 mile MPH, and 1/4. I wonder if I am down on power, or what. I hit 4000 miles leaving my apartment to head out to the strip today, FYI. I was launching the best of the three of us, but Anthz had mentioned he was shifting a bit off redline, and I was shifting at redline. I think that shifting before redline in 3rd and 4th might help with the trap speeds, and I am going a bit above redline in my shifts. I think the possibility of me briefly touching the rev limiter might be cutting fuel for like a hundredth of a second. I am not feeling, seeing, or hearing it. Also of interesting note, all 3 of us were scratching 3rd gear, not just a baby scratch either, like a big bad scratch, lol. I shift lightning fast, as fast as anyone else, so don't think I am revving way up between shifts. I think trying to do this 2 to 3 shift any smoother would result in time wasted trying to be smooth vs. fast shifting.

My car was 100 lbs heavier than DeviousZ's track, and I think he had a bit more gas than me. Both of them had their spares out, mine was in. Mine was 3420 with me in the car and about 2-3 gallons of gas (including reserve). I weigh 165. I was running 35 psi for the first 12 or 13 runs. I lowered to 28 psi and saw no gains, in fact it might have hurt me. Stock RE40s are no doubt part of the problems here, but I think weather was permitting a lot. I am confident I was pushing the 60 foot times to the absolute limit when I got that 2.08 60', and about ten 2.17ish 60 foots. I know with better tires 1.8-1.9x 60 foots are possible.

Anyhow, no 13s for me, not unadjusted at least. Any sign of a cold front coming through for Texas? If not, these are probably the best times you'll see for me until the fall
Old 05-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Rob Nance

Oh, also, I have videos of all 3 of us running. We beat a lot of good cars. There were a ton of slow mustangs there. Only really impressive, not heavily modified, was an 03 Cobra. That supercharger whine is music to my ears. There was a no hood, rusty, beater, that ran a sprayed low 10.xx quarter mile. Was freaking great.

Anyone have a way to host them? I'll exceed my bandwidth on my personal webspace if I put it up there, and I don't know if I would have space anyhow. I'll put a list up of the various races and pick a few to find a place to host them.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 AM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad. How were you lauching your car? Did you powershift 1-2?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:53 AM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by fdao
Not bad. How were you lauching your car? Did you powershift 1-2?
I tried launching at anywhere from 2,500 to 4,500 RPM, yielding very little difference in whatever I launched at. Tried slipping the clutch and launching at higher revs, nothing seemed to work. I think traction was really limiting any further gains from better launching.

I powershift every gear.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:18 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by Rob Nance
I powershift every gear.

Powershifting means you shift without letting off the gas at all. If you were indeed doing this AND shifting at redline, you were no doubt getting fuel cut off.

Nice times! Try running 28 psi with 40 psi in the front. So far looks like thats the best combination to go with.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by zxsaint
Powershifting means you shift without letting off the gas at all. If you were indeed doing this AND shifting at redline, you were no doubt getting fuel cut off.

Nice times! Try running 28 psi with 40 psi in the front. So far looks like thats the best combination to go with.
Well, you'd have to see me doing it. It's hard to talk about things like this without seeing the person for yourself, because everything just sounds like bragging. It really doesn't feel like the fuel cut off is kicking in. I'm shifting just before redline and it only goes up a couple hundred revs in the time it takes me to shift. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with Ferrari's 0.2 second shift F1 transmission, I shift fast

I was running 36 front 28 rear for the last few runs, and it seemed as if I was getting more tire spin, if anything. I'm beginning to think the RE40s just don't do much.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:43 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Did you thoroughly cook your tires before running? Was the track prep decent? Don't be too hard on yourself, i never thought i would see a 13.xx, and the time that i did it especially. On the run in my sig i thought i had too much wheelspin to pull a good time, but in the end it didn't hurt as much as i thought.

I never pulled a 13.xx til i dropped my PSI to 28. I always pull my spare and jack. From what i've been told 100 lbs. is a tenth of a second. You'll get it eventually. Your 60's and 1/8's look similar to my runs. Talk to MaxHax about this, he's an expert. I've learned a great deal from him.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
Did you thoroughly cook your tires before running? Was the track prep decent? Don't be too hard on yourself, i never thought i would see a 13.xx, and the time that i did it especially. On the run in my sig i thought i had too much wheelspin to pull a good time, but in the end it didn't hurt as much as i thought.

I never pulled a 13.xx til i dropped my PSI to 28. I always pull my spare and jack. From what i've been told 100 lbs. is a tenth of a second. You'll get it eventually. Your 60's and 1/8's look similar to my runs. Talk to MaxHax about this, he's an expert. I've learned a great deal from him.
Where is Roseville? The temperature and humidity thing are not just some wives tale...they really do effect engine performance. I am not doubting your time, but I find your trap and time very confusing. Did you miss shift into 4th and lose some speed at the end? To me that time and that trap, if no misshifts took place, means you pulled some sort of phenomenal 60 foot, like 1.8 to a low 1.9. You have stock RE40s?

I am pretty close to positive that with that weather running faster with my current setup is nigh impossible. My corrected ET is right there with the fastest anyone has run a 350, and I am pretty confident my skill puts me there...but that's just me. If you knew me, and knew how competitive I am, it might make more sense. Alas that is the problem with talking about this stuff on the 'net, on a message board.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
deviousZ
Banned

It was allot of fun!!!! But damn it was hot!!! The last time me and Anthz went the weather was nice I ran 14.0 I think if Rob was with us then he would have hit 13.9 he was running about a tenth faster than me almost every time. I want to see the vids post them VQ!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 AM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

You mentioned that you guys were heavily grinding 3rd gear.

I had the same problem in 2nd gear when racing at the track. It was a MAJOR grind and I had to force it into gear. I took it to Nissan and now we have a scheduled tranny replacement. I suspect yours will also need to be replaced from what your experiencing.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:52 AM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by zoasis
Rob,

You mentioned that you guys were heavily grinding 3rd gear.

I had the same problem in 2nd gear when racing at the track. It was a MAJOR grind and I had to force it into gear. I took it to Nissan and now we have a scheduled tranny replacement. I suspect yours will also need to be replaced from what your experiencing.
No no, I might have phrased it poorly. We were all getting tire spin shifting into 3rd gear.

I have experienced some of the 4th gear troubles (very minor and most likely if I was pushing the clutch in all the way they probably wouldn't happen), but you know, no car transmission is perfect. My last two cars had really grumpy 2nd gears, I will take a 4th gear that sometimes makes me miss a shift over 2nd gear any day!
Old 05-16-2003, 06:56 AM
DarkTalon

Can't wait to see does vids!!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:51 PM
deviousZ
Banned

Yeah what's up on the vids???
Old 05-16-2003, 05:17 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by Rob Nance
Where is Roseville? The temperature and humidity thing are not just some wives tale...they really do effect engine performance. I am not doubting your time, but I find your trap and time very confusing. Did you miss shift into 4th and lose some speed at the end? To me that time and that trap, if no misshifts took place, means you pulled some sort of phenomenal 60 foot, like 1.8 to a low 1.9. You have stock RE40s?

I am pretty close to positive that with that weather running faster with my current setup is nigh impossible. My corrected ET is right there with the fastest anyone has run a 350, and I am pretty confident my skill puts me there...but that's just me. If you knew me, and knew how competitive I am, it might make more sense. Alas that is the problem with talking about this stuff on the 'net, on a message board.
Roseville is by Sacramento.....i'm on stock tires......my 60' was 2.115, not that fantastic.....i had wheelspin off the line, i believe thats why my trap was that low, and my 60' that bad.....here's the link for the slip:
time slip thread
I've run 14's that had me in the 100's......but with less wheelspin off the line.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:26 PM
AKAkracker247

River City Raceway in San Antonio right?
Can you please PM me when you go, if you remember to?
I went there the other weeked and there weren't any good cars!
(i'm 15)
Old 05-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by AKAkracker247
River City Raceway in San Antonio right?
Can you please PM me when you go, if you remember to?
I went there the other weeked and there weren't any good cars!
(i'm 15)
It is near San Antonio, in Sequine.

I'll try and remember to PM, it will certainly be posted here.