Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

curious, why so many lt1/ls1 owners here

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:09 PM
350Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maxima owners are already running double digit boost on the VQ. There are also VQs turboed from the factory in Japan, not the 3.5 with the 10.3:1 comp ratio, but its still the same block.

I still think 15+ psi isn't too bright without lower comp pistons which is already in the works. But 10psi should be ok for the track with like 6-8 psi for the street. Nissan overbuilds their engines, or at least they always used to. The SR20 in my Sentra can take 20psi on the stock 9.5:1 cast pistons.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Last WS6

I like to visit alot of car forums.

www.svtperformance.com
www.clublexus.com
www.stangnet.com
www.corral.net
www.ls1.com
www.ls1tech.com
www.easterfbody.com
www.clubgp.com
www.svtoa.com

At first i came here because people said the Z was a car to watch out for. So i was curious. Then i saw a couple run at the track. Now I just come here to read the race section.

It is like every other race section. It gets thick, happens on every other board too.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
ksj

Originally posted by Caswell
Nice post. I'd agree thay a very well-tuned VQ could creep into the double digits on boost, but it will still take it's toll on the engine in the long run. 15psi is a bit harder to believe - you'd end up retarding the timing so much that you'd lose almost everything you gained from the extra boost.
Check out the May '03 Modified Magazine where you will find a write up on a single turbo application for the 350Z by Top Secret (well known Japanese tuner). 18psi of boost, 465 rwhp (tested by the magazine) and an estimated 540hp at the crank using stock internals. It can be done if it's properly tuned... And the results seem to be pretty remarkable.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Nealoc187

Originally posted by ksj
Check out the May '03 Modified Magazine where you will find a write up on a single turbo application for the 350Z by Top Secret (well known Japanese tuner). 18psi of boost, 465 rwhp (tested by the magazine) and an estimated 540hp at the crank using stock internals. It can be done if it's properly tuned... And the results seem to be pretty remarkable.
The VQ family of engines has been tested to pop at about 530whp. I personally know a guy running 430whp through a VQ30 stock in a 98 Maxima. He's been running over 350hp for the last 2 years.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:47 PM
92hatchattack

Originally posted by ksj
thank you
Old 05-19-2003, 09:42 PM
christ0ph

Default Hp is everything?

To me it seems like everybody's too caught up in horsepower wars. Sure you can go crazy fast in a straightline, but you're handling is going to suffer. It's all a compromise. If you have great handling, then you're not going to be able to run as fast as some other cars. I feel that the Z is an overall car. It's decent in the straightline, and pretty good in the corners. Package all of that together and it's a good deal. I suppose the hp wars come from the fact that America has the hot rodding tradition. You prove your worth to each other by means of going super fast, which is cool. But different people value different things. Pulling more than 1 g on the skidpad is also fun. Anyway this isn't meant to flame anybody I just thought I'd point out that to turn the Z into a straight drag car is.... I don't know. If it were meant to be, then why did Nissan spend so much time making it perform in the corners as well? It's like this... speed is length, and handling is technique ( if you get my drift ). You can't have a gigantic ***** and no technique, and conversely you can't have a stub and great techinque. I'll shut up now.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:00 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by CLS
My best friend drives an LS1 and he frequents this board alot because he finds it a little more interesting(mature) than some of his other choices. .
I did feel that way until recently. With the exception of a few people on this board, the majority think they are so much better because they drive a Z and I drive a LS1. I know that this goes both ways, but I really don't think I will be coming back as much as I did before. Some of you guys need to grow up and figure out they are just cars.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:42 AM
buzzdsm

Sorry I don't think this is true. Of course we're going to think the Z is better then the LT-1/LS-1 otherwise we would have bought one. Remember you are on www.my350z.com.

If I went to the Z-28 board, I would expect most people there to feel that their car is better then the 350Z.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:06 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by buzzdsm
Sorry I don't think this is true. Of course we're going to think the Z is better then the LT-1/LS-1 otherwise we would have bought one. Remember you are on www.my350z.com.

If I went to the Z-28 board, I would expect most people there to feel that their car is better then the 350Z.
I understand that you think your car is better than mine and that is fine, thats why you got what you got, but personal attacks of being called a redneck, mullet or whatever JUST because I drive a Camaro is what I am talking about. Not saying that you have ever done that, but there are people on this site (F-bod owners and Z owners) that make personal attacks just because of what kind of car you drive. It just seems like more of that goes on here than anywhere else I go, but maybe its just me
I just like the 350Z so I come here. Plain and simple.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:48 PM
buzzdsm

Originally posted by JP00SS
I understand that you think your car is better than mine and that is fine, thats why you got what you got, but personal attacks of being called a redneck, mullet or whatever JUST because I drive a Camaro is what I am talking about. Not saying that you have ever done that, but there are people on this site (F-bod owners and Z owners) that make personal attacks just because of what kind of car you drive. It just seems like more of that goes on here than anywhere else I go, but maybe its just me
I just like the 350Z so I come here. Plain and simple.

I agree that people shouldn't call F body owners trailer park trash but it also goes the other way. A lot of people throw out the ricers term.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:19 PM
CLS

Hahha JP00SS has a mullett and lives in a trailer on daytons. With four cars on blocks out front. Haha redneck.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:04 PM
JP00SS

Originally posted by CLS
Hahha JP00SS has a mullett and lives in a trailer on daytons. With four cars on blocks out front. Haha redneck.
I got twinkies on my trailer
Old 05-20-2003, 05:15 PM
2000 SS

I come to this site because I like the 350Z. I think it's a great looking car, has some nice capabilities and is priced right.

I come here and mainly only read the Midwest and Racing forums, as I do with most other car forums. I visit all kinds of car forums: Mustangs, WRX's, DSM's, Vette, Viper, Supra and the 350z. With all of the previous, I usually only skim through the "racing" sections and locals.

Sometimes I like to give some correct information for those who have misinformation on the LS1.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:30 PM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by 2000 SS
I come to this site because I like the 350Z. I think it's a great looking car, has some nice capabilities and is priced right.

I come here and mainly only read the Midwest and Racing forums, as I do with most other car forums. I visit all kinds of car forums: Mustangs, WRX's, DSM's, Vette, Viper, Supra and the 350z. With all of the previous, I usually only skim through the "racing" sections and locals.

Sometimes I like to give some correct information for those who have misinformation on the LS1.
What he said...
Old 05-21-2003, 04:40 PM
JZC

I like both cars, I liked the Z more so I drive one.

I really like the SS Cameros over all of them, and I love a bad *** looking Trans Am as well. There's a black WS6 around here that's a beast. It's a shame the owner is such a pansy. He got in my face one night about how his car is faster and better and he had a glass jaw.

There are trolls of every car breed:

We have our fair share of trolls, hell I know one. He claims he took an 03' Cobra with ease which I call BS on everytime he brings it up.

Cameros, there are mullet heads, there are very distingushed buisness men who drive them. I got alot of great friends who drive them.

Anybody can drive any car. There's no set standard for what kinda people drive a certain car.

I like this forum with the exception of the troll threads. I've learned alot about LS1, ect. from Caswell and JamRWS6 for one.

That all being said I do believe some kills that wouldn't normally be thought possible:

Having the most power doesn't determine any outcome for sure. I can relate this to everyday life. There are alot of people who think because they're strong they can win any fight. Not so at all, grant it their punches hurt like hell but you have to tune your body and understand how to use it. They may be stronger but if you understand your body you can usually win pretty easily if you have skill.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:03 PM
buzzdsm

My mom lives in a trailer so I have a right to post this picture

Last edited by buzzdsm; 05-21-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Caswell

Hey Buzz, where did you get my picture, and the one of the ultra-rare ZR2 offroad Firebird?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Silver Snake

Im no ls1 or lt1 owner... but a stang owner... Im only here b/c of all the hype that i heard about the Z and what not... I usually just read the forums and not post much but since the owners/mods insist on making people register to even read threads i just figured what the hell.

Quick Reply: curious, why so many lt1/ls1 owners here