Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

curious, why so many lt1/ls1 owners here

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:16 AM
julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't gone through all the responses but it's probably not too far saying because most of them are car guys and like checking all the interesting ones out. I'm far from having a car one calls sporty (84 volvo wagon heh) but my sis has a z and I like cars.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:25 AM
hankd

Lightbulb

I come here for several reasons:

1. I like 350Z's
2. To correct incorrect info when I see it (about F-bodies)
3. Entertainment

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
I have NEVER seen a stock LS1 dyno 330 RWHP. I'm not flaming here, I'm actually a former LS1 owner and loved the car. But I got my SS up to 320+ RWHP with exhaust, lid, maf, and some computer tuning.
True, 330 RWHP stock is a tad hi...MAYBE for an SS with the 345 HP "rating" (I know the ratings down mean much, but those do seem to dyno pretty well)

My WS6 put down 310 bone stock and 318 with just a lid...with only 1800 miles on the car...

350 RWHP with lid and full exhaust (no tuning, maf, TB, etc)

Last edited by hankd; 05-22-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:16 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
I have NEVER seen a stock LS1 dyno 330 RWHP. I'm not flaming here, I'm actually a former LS1 owner and loved the car. But I got my SS up to 320+ RWHP with exhaust, lid, maf, and some computer tuning.
The 01 SS that GMHTP ran 12.96 in 90 degree weather blasted out 327 RWHP i do believe.....other owners on LS1.com have hit 330RWHP bone stock.
Not every LS1 is going to put that much out but the stronger cars will get very close to or be right at 330.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:18 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by hankd
I come here for several reasons:

1. I like 350Z's
2. To correct incorrect info when I see it (about F-bodies)
3. Entertainment

True, 330 RWHP stock is a tad hi...MAYBE for an SS with the 345 HP "rating" (I know the ratings down mean much, but those do seem to dyno pretty well)

My WS6 put down 310 bone stock and 318 with just a lid...with only 1800 miles on the car...

350 RWHP with lid and full exhaust (no tuning, maf, TB, etc)
BTW the 345HP rating is a crock of BS.....the car isn't putting out any more power than the average LS1....all LS1 cars are putting near 350+ out at the crank whether its rated at 305 or 345. Thats GM playing with HP numbers on paper for ya.

EDIT: My guess on why those cars "seem" to dyno higher is because they are some of the 01-02 cars with the LS6 intake and the other goodies.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:58 PM
2000 SS

Originally posted by JamRWS6
BTW the 345HP rating is a crock of BS.....the car isn't putting out any more power than the average LS1....all LS1 cars are putting near 350+ out at the crank whether its rated at 305 or 345. Thats GM playing with HP numbers on paper for ya.

EDIT: My guess on why those cars "seem" to dyno higher is because they are some of the 01-02 cars with the LS6 intake and the other goodies.
Relative to a standard SS, Z28, WS6 or TA, the 345hp package will dyno a little higher due to the lid (which I bought separately) and the 3 inch SLP dual/dual exhaust. The standard exhaust on the rest of the f body cars is a 2.75 inch (with the WS6 and SS getting an improved muffler and different tips).

The 345 package isn't a crock of bs, but it a VERY expensive lid/catback option.

FWIW, a friend of mine dynoed his 02 SS 345 package (6 speed) and pulled 323 rwhp and 340 rwtq, bone stock with 4K miles.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:25 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by 2000 SS
Relative to a standard SS, Z28, WS6 or TA, the 345hp package will dyno a little higher due to the lid (which I bought separately) and the 3 inch SLP dual/dual exhaust. The standard exhaust on the rest of the f body cars is a 2.75 inch (with the WS6 and SS getting an improved muffler and different tips).

The 345 package isn't a crock of bs, but it a VERY expensive lid/catback option.

FWIW, a friend of mine dynoed his 02 SS 345 package (6 speed) and pulled 323 rwhp and 340 rwtq, bone stock with 4K miles.
Just so you know the WS6 is a complete mandrel bent catback. It has consistently shown to dyno 1-2 HP less than the SLP Loudmouth (basically an open pipe) so it isn't very restrictive.

SLP is a complete joke IMO.....they advertise their headers as a 40HP gain.....LMAO give me a break.
Their exhaust flows no better than the stock WS6 or an aftermarket unit.
Dyno testing shows their "new" lid only dynos slightly higher than stock and significantly lower than aftermarket units.....
I've seen guys take off the 345HP lid and replace with a direct flow and gain a tenth and a MPH.

The 345HP is a joke.....all ratings for LS1 f-bodies are.

My WS6 is only "rated" at 325 HP.....so a car with 20 more HP should be able to outrun my car pretty easily.....I have yet to run into a SS that is stock or one with just a lid that has pulled me.

Don't take offense to the SLP thing but the products they make just don't perform.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Caswell

Just so you know the WS6 is a complete mandrel bent catback. It has consistently shown to dyno 1-2 HP less than the SLP Loudmouth (basically an open pipe) so it isn't very restrictive.
Neither ASC nor SLP has anything to do with the standard WS6/SS catback. The cars are sent to the upfitters with the exhaust already installed at Ste. Therese - the SS and WS6 get the same catback, assuming the SS doesn't get the Y2Y dual-dual.

SLP is a complete joke IMO.....they advertise their headers as a 40HP gain.....LMAO give me a break.
Dyno testing shows their "new" lid only dynos slightly higher than stock and significantly lower than aftermarket units.....
I've seen guys take off the 345HP lid and replace with a direct flow and gain a tenth and a MPH..
I wouldn't call SLP a joke. Their ratings are over the top, but so are most of the ratings given by parts manufacturers. Anyone who believes hp ratings for aftermarket parts is kidding themselves. Just like most every other company out there, they sell some good stuff but they also hock some crap. It's up to you as an educated consumer to figure out what's what.

Don't take offense to the SLP thing but the products they make just don't perform.
I've got their Level 1 supsension, and for $450 you can't come close to the handling improvement it provides. There are a few other gems in their catalog that can be had for relatively little cash if you know where to look. I don't take offense, heck I don't care. It's not my company and I know why I bought the SLP products that I did.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:59 AM
JamRWS6

I know the cars were intsalled from the factory with the different catback

From my experience their "performance" parts are a joke but I don't have a problem with their suspension parts. I have their subframe connectors on my car and am pleased with them. I've thought about the Level 1 but haven't done it yet.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:00 AM
LSs1Power

I didnt read the 4 pages, but I visit 48 forums and I'm a member at each one of them. There are few other fourms I'm not a member on them, but visit them sometimes. So it is not just this forum I'm intrested in. I just like to know about cars and correct or share some information sometimes. Thats about it.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:32 AM
jooklum99

Now that we have all of these visitors in one forum. I for one would like to say thanks. It is nice to know that there will be a voice of reason should I start believing my own Z hype. For what it's worth, every car brings with it a set of stereotypes. Think preppy=BMW and Porsche=pri*** (I won't say). But they are just that, STEREOTYPES. They do have some validity, but I can't say that because you own car brand X that you fit a particular stereotype.

With that said, I like nice cars. To include 'stangs, Camaros, vettes, vipers, etc. I just like cars. Sometimes it's necessary to call BS. However, without being there, you don't know what actually happened. The fact of the matter is that many of these cars are very equal. Let me rephrase that, few of these cars are so lopsided that they will forgive a mistake.

I have only one example...I have really only raced S2000's. I have had 4 races. One was from a freeway roll. Advantage Z. 3 were from a stop. I won 2 of those 3. Lost one when I hit the rev limiter in 2nd. I guess that's what a want to impart to my fellow automotive bretheren. Anything, and I mean anything, can happen on the street. At any rate, thanks for keeping us honest.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:22 AM
DaPurpleRT

Originally posted by Caswell
You and S8ER95Z took the words right out of my mouth.

stock internal VQ + big boost = scrap

It's the same way on nearly every high compression, non-forged internal motor, LS1/LS6 included. But hey, if you don't believe me go right ahead. It's not my engine you'll be punching a rod through.
Word. Exactly what I was thinking. Why compare it with a Supra motor? They have NOTHING in common except being I6s and being imports!

In order for Nissan to have built a motor comparable to the 2JZE (think I forgot a character or two, bah) they would have to lower the CR severely lowering the NA HP and strengthen the internals. You'd be looking at a 210HP motor, but hey you could turn 10lb of boost.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:02 PM
joeshow750

They have NOTHING in common except being I6s and being imports!
VQ35 is a V6.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:30 PM
buzzdsm

I have a theory!

I think that if you have a fast car you go to everyone's board that has a slower or equal car so you can brag and talk trash. It's a complex thing that makes you feel better about your choice of vehicles. Before you say BS think about the kind of members we get on this board.

Even though there are about a gillion of them we get very few Civic, Prelude, SE-R, Interga, etc, etc posters

but we get a ton of M3, Corvette, FBird, TA, stang, etc. posters.

OK maybe this isn't the only reason but like it or not it's one of them.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:52 PM
zeroday

You really can't lump people into categories based on what they drive... I think racism works like that in a round about way doesn't it? It's difficult sometimes but you have to take a fresh attitude with each new person that comes on this board and treat them with respect until they do something that makes them undeserving of it. I have in the past been guilty of jumping down a few LT1 owner's throats because I thought they were 'trolling'. I've since realized how stupid that was and that many LS1/LT1 are car enthusiasts just like me and are here to enjoy some good car talk. Anyway my point is I think all car enthusiasts should be made to feel welcome here, until of course they start flaming others, etc.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:10 PM
bhobson333

Default my conclusions...

I started this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/motorsports/30641-took-a-z28-today.html

and it spiraled out of control and was closed before I had a chance to post what I learned or think I learned:

1) I think the reason there are so many posts here about races with Camaros is first because there are so many of them, and second because the typical Camaro driver is more likely to challenge us, to give us a race. They buy the car because they like to play and they're not afraid to give us a go. I applaud them for that.

2) Before I started that thread I didn't know an lt1 from an ls1 from a hole in the ground. I guess the lt1's are older and not as fast and a decent match for us at least in a straight-line and the ls1s are newer and faster and will hand us our *** unless they're not really racing. I raced an lt1.

3) (and you'll have to excuse me for voicing my honest opinion here) you Camaro drivers are spending WAY too much time and energy on the 350Z forum. We like having other-car owners here, and we like the sanity check and BS meter, but when a thread has way more posts from "other car" owners than from "this car" owners and degenerates into a detailed lesson on the minute details of the variances in the "other car", then something is wrong. When this happens in thread after thread then something is very wrong. Do many threads in the Camaro forums spiral off into the similarities and differences between the engines and other performance characteristics in 350Zs and Maximas and Infinity G35s? I kind of doubt it. If I wanted to learn all that much detail about your cars then I would go to your forums.

FWIW
Old 05-28-2003, 06:38 PM
zeroday

Default Re: my conclusions...

Originally posted by bhobson333

3) (and you'll have to excuse me for voicing my honest opinion here) you Camaro drivers are spending WAY too much time and energy on the 350Z forum............. If I wanted to learn all that much detail about your cars then I would go to your forums.

FWIW
I strongy disagree with you. There is PLENTY of Z material on this site. I appreciate the non Z posts as well. There really isn't any chance of the non z posts becoming more predominant than the Z posts so i'm not sure what you are so concerned about.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:40 PM
zeroday

I think the question boils down to this; Are you an all around car enthusiast or just a Z enthusiast? I, and I think many others here are car enthusiasts.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:03 PM
350zSpeedRacer

The 01 SS that GMHTP ran 12.96 in 90 degree weather blasted out 327 RWHP i do believe.....other owners on LS1.com have hit 330RWHP bone stock.
Not every LS1 is going to put that much out but the stronger cars will get very close to or be right at 330.
Damn. They sure weren't doing that back when I had mine. Oh well. I haven't been to LS1.com in years, so I'm really not as up to date as I used to be. Thanks for the info. I looked up my old dyno sheets, and my SS was up to 327 rwhp and 340 foot lbs, so I guess that's not too far off.

*Off topic a little.* I just got bored with the whole drag racing thing--been doing it since I was 15 and am still NHRA liscenced in Super Comp, but it just doesn't do it for me the way a REALLY tight turn does when I'm hauling *** through it.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:32 PM
joeshow750

but it just doesn't do it for me the way a REALLY tight turn does when I'm hauling *** through it.
Same here...I just wish you could get your knee down in a car.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:59 PM
2000 SS

I've seen guys take off the 345HP lid and replace with a direct flow and gain a tenth and a MPH.

The 345HP is a joke.....all ratings for LS1 f-bodies are.

My WS6 is only "rated" at 325 HP.....so a car with 20 more HP should be able to outrun my car pretty easily.....I have yet to run into a SS that is stock or one with just a lid that has pulled me.

Your stock WS6 catback (the one with one round tip on each side) is not a mandrel bent exhaust. Want to find out how? Go underneath your car and look at the bend on top of the rear axle. That crimping you see there is NOT a mandrel bend. If it was, it would be smooth. It's also a 2.75 diameter intermediate pipe, unlike the optional 345hp package which has a 3 inch pipe.
Some cars dyno higher than others, key statement here being
Relative to a standard SS, Z28, WS6 or TA .

Quick Reply: curious, why so many lt1/ls1 owners here