Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Took a Z28 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:57 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a Z28 today

First, I have no idea the year or model. It said Camaro Z28 on the back when I saw it later in traffic, looked about 5 years old.

I was first at a stoplight, in the middle of three lanes, the right lane ends about 100 yards down the road. (US 1 & 1A intersection in Wake Forest, going south, at Wakefield) It's one of my favorite spots to grab the right lane and get ahead of the crowd, most people won't go there. As I come to the intersection it's just turning red, so I grab the middle lane.

I'm stopped waiting for the light and see that someone has stopped to my right in the lane that runs out. Cool, I'll drive like I normally do, moderately aggressive, spank him a bit, he'll slide in behind me. Wait....that's not just a car...isn't that a Z28? Hmmm.. If he's in that lane he's gonna try me. I better be ready.

The light turned green, I think I got a bit of a jump on him, but I still wasn't sure we were racing...until I heard his engine roar. Then I put it to the floor and went into WOT-speed-shifting mode. VDC was off.

I heard him bark 2nd and he was about 1/2 car behind me. I think I shifted to second not long after that and poured it on, made the speed-shift to third (almost missed it, thank god I made it) and kept it to the floor.

His lane ran out with his front bumper not far behind my back bumper. He shifted two lanes over and then I was coming up to a car in my lane. After a pause I floored it again, got into the left lane ahead of him, passed the car, jumped into the right lane and let off the gas around 80-85 MPH (55 zone).

He passed me, he and his lady were grinning and giving me the thumbs-up. A good-natured race, a lot of fun. I'm stock, I'm pretty sure he was too, we were having fun.

Last edited by bhobson333; 05-25-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:36 PM
euroguy

Were his headlights squarish and sunken into the body, or roundish and flush with the body like you would see on a Taurus? Good kill either way, from the looks of it a 350z can keep up with an average, stock LS1 driver for a gear or two.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:10 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by euroguy
Were his headlights squarish and sunken into the body, or roundish and flush with the body like you would see on a Taurus?
Seems to me that they were squarish. I'm not sure. I've been looking at Z28s on the web....they all look the same ;-) I may be wrong, but it seems like there was a chrome widget in the lateral middle of the hood, nearer the windshield than the grill. None of the pictures of Z28s that I have found show anything but smooth paint in that area. Maybe my memory is faulty.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:19 PM
jnifong

i've yet to really race anyone. i just like bolting off lights just for the hell of it be it racing someone or just to hear the engine roar. the only person i've tried to keep up with is a vett. i knew there was no way, but figured i'd see if i could hang. both of us on the entrance ramp of 147 in durham from ellis rd. he turned onto the ramp before me and got right behind him..he layed into it as did i. of course he walked away from me with no prob. but figured i'd try just for comparison sake! fun for all.

jon

Black Enthusiast / all stock

"your girl looks better in MY car"
Old 05-26-2003, 12:46 AM
S8ER95Z

Default Re: Took a Z28 today

Originally posted by bhobson333
First, I have no idea the year or model. It said Camaro Z28 on the back when I saw it later in traffic, looked about 5 years old.

I was first at a stoplight, in the middle of three lanes, the right lane ends about 100 yards down the road. (US 1 & 1A intersection in Wake Forest, going south, at Wakefield) It's one of my favorite spots to grab the right lane and get ahead of the crowd, most people won't go there. As I come to the intersection it's just turning red, so I grab the middle lane.

I'm stopped waiting for the light and see that someone has stopped to my right in the lane that runs out. Cool, I'll drive like I normally do, moderately aggressive, spank him a bit, he'll slide in behind me. Wait....that's not just a car...isn't that a Z28? Hmmm.. If he's in that lane he's gonna try me. I better be ready.

The light turned green, I think I got a bit of a jump on him, but I still wasn't sure we were racing...until I heard his engine roar. Then I put it to the floor and went into WOT-speed-shifting mode. VDC was off.

I heard him bark 2nd and he was about 1/2 car behind me. I think I shifted to second not long after that and poured it on, made the speed-shift to third (almost missed it, thank god I made it) and kept it to the floor.

His lane ran out with his front bumper not far behind my back bumper. He shifted two lanes over and then I was coming up to a car in my lane. After a pause I floored it again, got into the left lane ahead of him, passed the car, jumped into the right lane and let off the gas around 80-85 MPH (55 zone).

He passed me, he and his lady were grinning and giving me the thumbs-up. A good-natured race, a lot of fun. I'm stock, I'm pretty sure he was too, we were having fun.
Good kill
Old 05-26-2003, 12:48 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by jnifong
i've yet to really race anyone. i just like bolting off lights just for the hell of it be it racing someone or just to hear the engine roar. the only person i've tried to keep up with is a vett. i knew there was no way, but figured i'd see if i could hang. both of us on the entrance ramp of 147 in durham from ellis rd. he turned onto the ramp before me and got right behind him..he layed into it as did i. of course he walked away from me with no prob. but figured i'd try just for comparison sake! fun for all.

jon

Black Enthusiast / all stock

"your girl looks better in MY car"
Hey if you guys are keeping with LS1 Fbodys an LS1 Ybody shouldnt be any more of a problem.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:50 AM
Flyingscot

I'm not into pure street racing because too many times innocent people get hurt. However, racing from a stoplight on a major road appears to be fairly harmless.

I must admit I really enjoyed my little race with a new Mitsu Evo VIII a few weeks ago. The driver was mature and I think that made all the difference.

I got a slight rolling start (maybe 5mph at most) but didn't hit the throttle until I heard his engine roar and his turbo whine. When we both shut it down at 75mph, we were still dead even. Of course, the car was brand new and the driver was delivering it to another dealership. Maybe with a few miles and a more committed driver, it would have spanked me.

Fly

Have fun! Be safe!
Old 05-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Eric1h

"2003 Daytona Blue 350Z Track. Summer upgrade to Nismo S-tuned in the works...AND some S03s."

SWEET!!

Brian, good race, i KNOW we could/can beat the LS1's they are fairly heavy but torquey, should be a good race but i know the Z is faster, especially with a lightly modd'ed Z
Old 05-26-2003, 05:30 AM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by Eric1h
"
Brian, good race, i KNOW we could/can beat the LS1's they are fairly heavy but torquey, should be a good race but i know the Z is faster, especially with a lightly modd'ed Z
Man, some of you people are really stupid...
Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 AM
jackie chan

"2003 Daytona Blue 350Z Track. Summer upgrade to Nismo S-tuned in the works...AND some S03s."

SWEET!!

maybe a stock auto z28 if you are modded but come on now, know your role.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:00 AM
Eric1h

Originally posted by jackie chan
maybe a stock auto z28 if you are modded but come on now, know your role.
know my role? ha, youre not worth crafting a reply

Last edited by Eric1h; 05-26-2003 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:30 AM
jackie chan

know my role? ha, youre not worth crafting a reply
If im not worth "crafting" a reply, then, why did you?
Old 05-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Eric1h

dude, seriously, get a life or go back to your hole.
Fact: a lightly modd'd 350Z WILL beat a stock LS1

if that hits close to home and hurts your feelings, im sorry, but its a fact.

Lets not turn Brians post into a pissing match, you want to have an intelligent conversation about cars and their capabilities I'll be happy to, but lets take it offline, feel free to PM me. I've owned and built ALOTof cars in my days. V8 Firechicken being one of them so I know what they are capable of stock AND built.

A built LS1or LT1 is no contest, they make good use of mod's but the fact is that a stock Ls1 just isnt that fast.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:18 AM
jackie chan

dude seriously, not making this a pissing match. A stock ls1 m6 itself will not lose to a lightly modded z. Unless your light mods include some serious traction. Now a "driver" losing the race is a different story. It always comes down to the driver. I have smoked a bunch of ls1s in my slow gt vert, but i am not going to try and kid myself, that it was because my car was faster. Plus this guy probably raced an lt1 which is a better match. When i say know your role, you should. I do, i know my gt with gears and exhaust can beat a stock ls1, but i better have some sticky tires to do it.

Last edited by jackie chan; 05-26-2003 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:19 AM
S8ER95Z

dude, seriously, get a life or go back to your hole.
Fact: a lightly modd'd 350Z WILL beat a stock LS1

if that hits close to home and hurts your feelings, im sorry, but its a fact.

Lets not turn Brians post into a pissing match, you want to have an intelligent conversation about cars and their capabilities I'll be happy to, but lets take it offline, feel free to PM me. I've owned and built ALOTof cars in my days. V8 Firechicken being one of them so I know what they are capable of stock AND built.

A built LS1or LT1 is no contest, they make good use of mod's but the fact is that a stock Ls1 just isnt that fast.
The fact that only one person here has claimed to break 12s and only one other has hit a low low 13.. with N20..leads me to believe a "lightly modded" 350Z stands as much chance against an LS1 stock as I would have "Lightly modded" ... which is NONE.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Caswell

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
The fact that only one person here has claimed to break 12s and only one other has hit a low low 13.. with N20..leads me to believe a "lightly modded" 350Z stands as much chance against an LS1 stock as I would have "Lightly modded" ... which is NONE.
I was just about to point out the same thing. The only Z I've seen here in the low 13's is on a 100 shot of N2O. The only one in the 12's is on a direct port N2O setup, Hoosiers, and other "secret" mods.

I normally don't comment directly on the Z33 vs. LS1 races, but after seeing so many of them posted here I've come to the conclusion that either a.) Z33 drivers attract ****-poor drivers in sub-par LS1 f-bodies and/or b.) that it's getting deep in here.

I'm not taking anything personally. I'm confident in my skill and I know my car is running well. If a 350Z, "lightly modded" or stock ever pulls up beside me at a light and wants to go, he's seeing taillights.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Eric1h

ok, let me stand corrected, my original post was a typo, i did mean to type LT1.

it was early

bottom line, a Z28 isnt that fast, now an SS or WS6 is a whole different story
Old 05-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Caswell

ok, let me stand corrected, my original post was a typo, i did mean to type LT1.

it was early

Good grief. Please stop posting. The Z28, SS, WS6, TA, Formula, and Firehawk are all the same car with the same engine. The only signicant performance difference is a better catback on the SS/WS6/Firehawk. As someone with an aftermarket catback, I can tell you that it doesn't make a remotely significant difference. My car sounds a heck of a lot better now, but it was just as fast with the factory Z28 catback on there.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:01 PM
euroguy

You better put on the flame proof jacket bro
Old 05-26-2003, 02:29 PM
jackie chan

hey i hate ls1s(previous 95 ta lt1 man) as much as the next guy but i know one thing, they are all fast

Quick Reply: Took a Z28 today