Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Another fun LS1 vs. 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 03:50 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fun LS1 vs. 350Z

Heading west to the gym again, a few lights before my last encounter with a MR2 that spun out on the twisties.

Road up ahead is empty.... suddenly, VROOOM.

I'm at the light when a white LS1 Z28 pulls up next to me. He throws me a rev but the light had already turned, wasn't ready for it. So I roll off the line... One of the nicest Z28's i've seen. White with blacked out tailights, gauges up on the pillar, dark tinted windows, best sounding one from what I can hear too.. nice exhaust.

I've got VDC still on (doof!) and my AC is on (didn't notice!! but I don't know how much that matters) but he's got a passenger.

Obviously modded, i'm getting ready to be owned anyway. I pull up next to him in 2nd, he's waiting for me, we go at it... suprisingly to me, 2nd gear to the top of 3rd, dead even. But my grin turns serious when shortly after I shift to 4th, he pulls me slowly.... puts a car on me and keeps it there. We shut down there, I give him a thumbs up, he nods and we part.

Although the race conditions were a little pathetic, I had a blast. The addrenaline gave me a little bit of the shakes. I love that feeling.

He could really shift.... and I'm still in awe of the sound that thing put out.. really high pitched fear-setting sound. I hope to get that when the borla arrives.

Much respect for the LS1 ... I'd LOVE to do this again with another one or the same guy.

...I still must mention, up ahead was the twisties (do a search for the MR2 kill story) and I sped up a little and offered a challenge on those turns, but he declined....
Old 06-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Caswell

BS! It must've been a 2.73 geared A4 with four plug wires disconnected (that would explain why it sounded different). Besides, everyone knows the white LS1's are down 100 horse from every other color! He was probably playing with you anyway, and I'll bet he didn't know how to drive. As a matter of fact, I bet this entire story is BS. You don't even have a 350Z, do you?!

Seriously, nice run. At least this guy didn't alomost kill you by losing control of his car like the MR2.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:07 PM
yogda

umm

ill bet he was just playing around with you, ive been there...

the 350z is a very fine car indeed, but no ls1..

Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 PM
ELS1

you dont have to turn off you AC...when you got WOT, accessories actually go off (well...atleast in our cars)
Old 06-19-2003, 08:56 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat...we seriously need to line up. Stock Z v. Z with Borla!!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 PM
87 Turbo Regal

I dunno man, but I think he was just messing with you. LS-1s are quick. Really, really quick. A 350Z is no match for one. Not trying to be a dick, just saying it like it is. A 350Z is a high 13-low 14 second car, and a Camaro Z-28 is a high 12-low 13 second car. They are in completely different leagues. Well, then again, how modded are you?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:41 AM
jooklum99

I'm not making any excuses as I have no vested interest. Just remember folks: anything can happen on the street.

In a drage race, you go WOT from start to finish. On the street, anything can happen. Conditions may not be right for a WOT run by both drivers. You never know.

Why do folks (erroneously) assume that a street victory equates to a track victory? HP and TQ be dammed (for a minute). I agree that had this race ocurred at the track, the 350Z would have been toast. But the post did not say lined up at the track.

Bottom line, both people raced they had fun and showed respect to on another and the cars they drive. And then on this board, (people who were not there) call BS. The best that any of us can say is that we do not believe that the poster is telling the truth.

I posted a chart not long ago showing the effect of gearing on WTQ. Aggressive gearing (which we have) helps offset SOME of the WTQ disadvantage that the 350Z has. Now depending on which gear the driver's were in will determine who pulled and when they pulled. One shift and the conditions change. One missed shift and the conditions change.

Again, this is different from the track where you go WOT and row through those gears (to red line) as fast as you can. The LS1 always has the advantage due to superior HP/TQ. And with an "apples to apples" comparison or race they (LS1) will always win vs. a 350Z. Nobody is presenting the situation in this thread as an apple to apples comparison. Cut the guy some slack. The LS1 TQ/HP advantage has been flogged to death. We already know.

At least some arrogant Z driver is not calling another car a piece of crap...or worse. I respect any car that is capable of beating me in a race...any kind of race.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Last WS6

I go to alot of F-body events. At good tracks too. Trust me, they all do not run mid to low 13s. A good portion of them have crappy drivers that can not break out of the 14s.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:19 PM
RedRocketZ

I'm not making any excuses as I have no vested interest. Just remember folks: anything can happen on the street.

In a drage race, you go WOT from start to finish. On the street, anything can happen. Conditions may not be right for a WOT run by both drivers. You never know.

Why do folks (erroneously) assume that a street victory equates to a track victory? HP and TQ be dammed (for a minute). I agree that had this race ocurred at the track, the 350Z would have been toast. But the post did not say lined up at the track.

Bottom line, both people raced they had fun and showed respect to on another and the cars they drive. And then on this board, (people who were not there) call BS. The best that any of us can say is that we do not believe that the poster is telling the truth.

I posted a chart not long ago showing the effect of gearing on WTQ. Aggressive gearing (which we have) helps offset SOME of the WTQ disadvantage that the 350Z has. Now depending on which gear the driver's were in will determine who pulled and when they pulled. One shift and the conditions change. One missed shift and the conditions change.

Again, this is different from the track where you go WOT and row through those gears (to red line) as fast as you can. The LS1 always has the advantage due to superior HP/TQ. And with an "apples to apples" comparison or race they (LS1) will always win vs. a 350Z. Nobody is presenting the situation in this thread as an apple to apples comparison. Cut the guy some slack. The LS1 TQ/HP advantage has been flogged to death. We already know.

At least some arrogant Z driver is not calling another car a piece of crap...or worse. I respect any car that is capable of beating me in a race...any kind of race.

LOL this is about the only sensible thing I've heard so far in these LS1 vs. 350Z posts. Good lord my buddy dynos in the 350's to the rear wheel of his LS1 and has trouble with traction yet I hear these guys putting down 400+ to the wheel and killing ppl on the streets. Sorry but I gotta call BS!!! I work with two master mechanics turned engineer who both own LT1 382s one in a Callaway camaro and the other in a C4. I also have a buddy with an LS1 highly modded and squeezing that will put the smack down on stock Z06s. The Z06 is owned by another one of my friend so trust me I work with a bunch of GM lovers, as is myself. These are a bunch of guys who will talk crap to each other putting each others cars down all day (they direct it at mine too) but who would think I would meet the biggest smack talkers on a 350Z forum???
Old 06-20-2003, 07:51 PM
daking350
Banned

Talking Kill List

Cars that I have completely whooped on!!!
modded late 90's Mustang GT /GT-15.6/Me 13.3!!
late 90's firebird /FB 14.6/Me 13.1 (my best whoop yet!!)
97 Mustang Cobra/CB 13.8/Me 13.4
2002 Corvette/VT 13.8/Me 13.2
Acura integra/14.6/Me 13.8 (on motor no sauce)
Mazda 6/15 something/Me 13.9(on motor)
Neon SRT/14.3/Me 13.3

Cars that completely whooped me!!!
Late 80's Vette 12.1!!!!!
worked Cobra 12.5!!!!
Dodge Stealth vr4 13.4/me 13.6
Vw GTi 10.79!!!!!!WHOOOOOPEDDDD MY ***!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Another fun LS1 vs. 350Z-image022.jpg  
Old 06-21-2003, 06:06 PM
brandboZ28

Originally posted by jooklum99
I agree that had this race ocurred at the track, the 350Z would have been toast. But the post did not say lined up at the track.
Why can anything happen on the street but everything is different at the track? From my experiences, I have better traction on the street than on the track.(I race at Atlanta Dragway ) Im not trying to start anything or singe you out in anyway, I just need to understand. I agree with LastWS6 though, there are alot of crappy drivers out there, no matter what they drive.

EDIT - I just re-read everything and I see where you were coming from. Sorry for shooting my mouth off before I got the story straight.

Last edited by brandboZ28; 06-21-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:12 PM
jooklum99

Originally posted by brandboZ28
Why can anything happen on the street but everything is different at the track? From my experiences, I have better traction on the street than on the track.(I race at Atlanta Dragway ) Im not trying to start anything or singe you out in anyway, I just need to understand. I agree with LastWS6 though, there are alot of crappy drivers out there, no matter what they drive.

EDIT - I just re-read everything and I see where you were coming from. Sorry for shooting my mouth off before I got the story straight.
It's all good bro. I am not one of those people who thinks hos 350 is capable of super-human feats. At any given time, you are racing both car and driver. That can introduce a lot of variables.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:40 AM
67 Demon

First off, let me get it out of the way that yes, LS1's are fast. I should now, my brother had one that had all bolt-ons and a 100 shot of hot sauce. I know what these cars can do because i have been in the car with him in a lot of races. BTW, his was an auto.

Now, no BS here. Last night my brother and i were just leaving (in my stock 350) my folks house to go back to my house for a bit when we see an LS1. It was an anniversary edition TA (WS6) manual. There is a mutual nod in agreement to race. We wait to get on an open road and out of traffic to race. First race was from a stop. End result, he takes me by about 6 cars or so if not more. I also was not powershifting on that run. Next run, my bro tells him to go from a roll and we go form a 1st gear roll...around 4K rpm's for me (shoulda went higher on the rpm's). After 1st gear powershift, he has me by about a hood length, by 2nd gear powershift he had me by about 1.5 lengths or so, by 3rd lengths increase. When all was said and done he had me at most by 3 cars at around 100+ mph. I started to SLOWLY creep on him at beginning of 4th gear. As i met back up with him after the race, i asked if he had run his car at the track before. He said that he has run 13.4's. His car sounded stock and am certain it was. We give each other a thunbs up and go our seperate ways.

Now, to my point. LS1's as i stated before are fast, but a lot has to do with driver ability. Just because someone owns an LS1 does not mean he/she should easily put bus lengths on another car. So dont be so quick to raise the BS flag on a persons race especially if you were not there. Thank you and sorry for taking up so much space!!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:25 AM
DamianZ

Default Re: Another fun LS1 vs. 350Z

Originally posted by zxsaint
I'm at the light when a white LS1 Z28 pulls up next to me. He throws me a rev but the light had already turned, wasn't ready for it. So I roll off the line... One of the nicest Z28's i've seen. White with blacked out tailights, gauges up on the pillar, dark tinted windows, best sounding one from what I can hear too.. nice exhaust.
yeah, the Z28 has a nice throaty sound. Clearly, the LS1 Z28 facilitates more horsepower and torque then the 350z. Oh, and what year was the Z28? Just curious. Nice run by the way.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:07 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know why I waste my time reading the responses to these threads, they are all just a cut and paste from the last Ls1/lt1 or mustang race. why bother.

to the starter of this thread nice job, its always nice to have fun with a respectful driver of another car.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:11 PM
1fastls1

The guy must have been hust messing with you. 3rd gear in a LS1 is brutal, and I just don't see a 350Z coming close (stock vs stock, especially from a roll. From a stop it could be close up until 70ish, with a novice driver) Wake up from your wet dream buddy 350Z's are nice, but I'v seen many LT1's hand Z's their butts.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:03 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

DamianZ, I don't have any idea what year it was, I didn't get a chance to speak with the guy. All I could really use to identify it was circular headlights. The tails were blacked out.

To the post above this one, I won't even respond, as having 2 posts so far and already sounding like a troll, I doubt he'll even make it to read this response before being banned.

Wet dream? sheesh. I'm sorry the mature LS1 guys have to deal with so many of their fellow car owners giving them a bad name. Its odd because in person, most of the f-body guys I've met at meets have more class. It has to be an internet thing.

Ok folks, he was playing with me. In fact, he was at half throttle, and probably had concrete in his trunk. Now that I remember correctly, I don't even think he had any tires on. Does this make you feel better about your johnson? I'm sorry I have triggered a mild shock to your psychological complexes.

I apologize that I posted about a close loss against an LS1 camaro. It'll be the last time I do this again. Apparently some of you can't handle it. It's really sad. Really.