Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Question for you V8 people (Stangs/Camaros etc..)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Nothing
So why even bother discussing this any further? Just pick the car you like the best for drive/looks/comfort etc... and don't worry if it is a second slower than some other car... because there will always be a faster car.
N.
You might of missed the point of this discussion. Obviously more $$ wins, this goes with cars, boats, planes, bikes, skateboards etc..
Old 06-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How fast is it anyways??

I'm new here guys.... and I just bought a touring one... can't floor it yet... was wondering how fast is it compared to a stock LS1 for a one mile distance race??
Old 06-09-2003, 12:57 PM
jackie chan

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
How old are you? If you really need to ask in that manner you don't deserve an answer, expecially since you should be able to answer it yourself by READING the tread.

Anyway,

26, and if we were having this discussion in person. I think your responses would be a bit kinder....lucky for you i dont have a ***** slap button on this. My responses are a lot less harsh than most.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:05 PM
toykilla

i just want to say i have absolutely nothing against ls1s. they are damn fast and much cheaper to mod than the car i now have.

But i have my reason for choosing the car i did and am completely happy with it. ive already been spanked twice by heavily modded ls1s on the highway, one by my friend and another buy some guy with a blower. completely embarassing but way fun.

Of course i wish i could easily keep up, but in all honesty that is going to take some cash to do. It isnt impossible, just will take time and money. (and patience ... which i am lacking)

A 2.6L skyline can get to 300km/h in under 9 seconds, thats damn impressive. I cant wait to see what our engine is completely capable of.

The R34 GTR skyline is my all time favorite / practical car. Since I cant afford 120k to import one, I will settle for his little brother.

maybe i will win the lottery

Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
toykilla

Default Re: How fast is it anyways??

Originally posted by Bahraini350Z
I'm new here guys.... and I just bought a touring one... can't floor it yet... was wondering how fast is it compared to a stock LS1 for a one mile distance race??
In my experience so far, Ls1s start to pull away at redicuous rates at about 70mph
Old 06-09-2003, 01:08 PM
jackie chan

Default Re: Re: How fast is it anyways??

Originally posted by toykilla
In my experience so far, Ls1s start to pull away at redicuous rates at about 70mph
its more impressive when the ls1 misses a gear making you think you are gonna walk it and then it still pulls away
Old 06-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by jackie chan

26, and if we were having this discussion in person. I think your responses would be a bit kinder....lucky for you i dont have a ***** slap button on this. My responses are a lot less harsh than most.
We have an internet tough guy
Old 06-09-2003, 01:10 PM
jackie chan

Originally posted by toykilla

maybe i will win the lottery

I did but it was only 3 out of 6 ....i'm letting it ride on wed lotto
Old 06-09-2003, 01:12 PM
jackie chan

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
We have an internet tough guy
yeah thats me....lets meet up
get the f out too funny breaking out the internet tough guy line...when you try to flame me
Old 06-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Z_Pride

Really, jackie, I doubt you're impressing anyone on this board.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
RD99SS

BTW RD99SS- I plan on running at NED this Friday, you coming?
I didn't plan on it and I am waiting for some good weather around here, about a month ago (a week before I went and smoked my clutch) they were only running the 1/8th at NED because of so much rain the water was actually coming up through the tar (high water table there). I hope that we have a few good weeks to dry out the track a little.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:43 PM
jackie chan

Seriously, if you were a bunch of good looking ladies i would definately try to impress you, but you arent, just a bunch of guys just like me....I just dont understand why you guys continue to reduce everything to the rediculous about cars, when obviously we are minority when it comes to society because we love to drive fun cars....the only thing that irritates me about this board is that some of us dont know when we beat an inferior driver in a superior car.

Edit: RODNEY KING RODNEY KING(from the movie airheads)

Last edited by jackie chan; 06-09-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:52 PM
JamRWS6

Whoever posted the Supra TT thing......stock for stock its a drivers race from a highway roll....from a dead dig i give the advantage to the LS1.

When it comes to modding yes a TT Supra can be made sick fast for pretty cheap......of course they were also $40K cars back in the day when they were new.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Simp

First post, had to do it...

To answer the question of the orgininal thread, I have two things to say.

1. The reason nobody is impressed when he beats a V6 Camaro is because (ready for this) THEY AREN'T FAST. I used to own a V6 'Bird. It was quick, but nothing for Nissan's flagship to brag about. I see your point, and you're right, from a performance perspective the Nissan 3.5 is way better than the 3800 Series II (****, my friend used to have a 95 maxima and he'd slowly pull on my bird). But honestly, who cares, the V6 Camaro is still slow so it's not worth bragging about. I didn't brag to anyone when I smoked a V6 Stang at the track, why? Cause I didn't expect it to put up a good fight. Don't get me wrong there are some fast ones out there, but there are alot more slow ones.

And...

2. Run what ya brung and hope you brung enough. It was said before: it's not my fault Nissan stuck a tricked out 3.5 V6 in the Z, so don't ***** when a 5.7 Liter (low-tech) V8 blows your doors off
Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by StockLT1
HP/L=rice-boy argument. You sound like the kids who think if Honda made a 5.7 liter engine it would have 120 HP/L and spin to 9k.
The fact of the matter is.... if an American and Japanese engine had the same displacement but each with their own respective engineering capabilites, the Japanese engine would have more HP/L than the American motor and therefore more HP. Im not saying the japanese engine will have 120hp/l but im sure it would have a higher ratio than the american one.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Mr Payne

Originally posted by r34 racer
The fact of the matter is.... if an American and Japanese engine had the same displacement but each with their own respective engineering capabilites, the Japanese engine would have more HP/L than the American motor and therefore more HP. Im not saying the japanese engine will have 120hp/l but im sure it would have a higher ratio than the american one.
Welcome to the land of extreme ********. Street cars don't have any sort of displacement limit so you can't even make anything even remotely close to a logical argument. Current engine statistics and trends were certainly the offspring of the political decisions within certain countries though. The fact that many European countries and Japan have taxes directly tied to displacements almost certainly governed the way automotive companies in those countries developed engines. Of course certain designs lend themselves to a higher specific output. Displacement isn't the end all be all of engine development. If there was some magical law that stated that Japanese engines must be a V8 OHV design it could be safe to say that the engines wouldn't be of the same caliber as those made by American companies. A lower specific output isn't even a sign of an inferior engine. Weight, Volume, Cost, Reliability, and Tunability are all major aspects. "Engineering Capabilities" look at all of those aspects. Looking at engines such as the LS6(Z06), 4.6L Supercharged V8(Cobra), 2.4L Turbo I4(SRT-4), and 8.3L V10 (SRT-10) can you honestly say these engines are a bad combination of those traits previously mentioned? All of those cars in stock form put out class leading acceleration numbers.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:14 PM
BlackDemon

Whats the excuse for the V8 in the Toyota Tundra then?
235HP V8...
ummm

Hell my little bros V6 Ranger edge puts out 207...

Japanese engines are not the end all be all of engines...
Old 06-10-2003, 12:04 AM
StockLT1

I lost IQ points reading this.

Last edited by StockLT1; 06-10-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:22 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a couple people mention how the LS1 is less expensive than the VQ35, and I'm wondering where that data is coming from.

Are there any facts to back this up?

From what I see, we have the VQ35 with 265 HP in the new Maxima, which is less than 25K and with 287 HP in the Z which is less than 27K.

Now, considering that the Z's chassis is comparible to the vette (maybe slightly less balanced, but that's just the set-up, and not due to anything inherent in the design), I'm wondering what it is about the vette that makes it cost 40-45K? The vette is a great car, no doubt about it, but the only thing it has over the Z is the engine, which you guys are telling me is actually less expensive to make. Therefore the Vette seems like a pretty crappy deal in that context.

It seems like it should cost about the same as the Z.

What's the deal here? Personally, I think the LS1 is far more expensive than you guys are making it out to be. Let's not kid ourselves here, the engine, although based on old technology, has been polished into a sparkling jewel that pretty much any enthusiast would be happy to own. It still takes money to improve old designs.

The reason I'm asking is because I've always wanted a vette but have a hard time paying that much for a car. I want GM to make a 30K vette (or a 30K F-body with only two seats and an interior more like the new Grand Prix). Or Nissan to make a 450Z that is about the same price as the current version (maybe for the Track model's price).

Do you guys think there is a chance of that happening?

-D'oh!
Old 06-11-2003, 03:26 AM
Steve98TransAm

Originally posted by D'oh
I've seen a couple people mention how the LS1 is less expensive than the VQ35, and I'm wondering where that data is coming from.

Are there any facts to back this up?

-D'oh!
You can buy a brand new LS1 (or LS6) crate engine for around $5k. I know the LS6 costs a tad more than the LS1 (obviously) but I don't think its a large amount more.

I'm not sure how much a brand new "crate" VQ35 costs, but at least I gave you something to compare it to.

Quick Reply: Question for you V8 people (Stangs/Camaros etc..)