Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

whats is faster Dodge Srt or 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:03 PM
NeoZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both very equal cars. The SRT-4 is an impressive package for the money. However, for my money I want a man's sports car not a little boys go kart on steroids.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:49 PM
grayson521

saying "its still a neon" is VERY true to most people.

Immature - yes.

A fact of life - yes.

I know first hand....I had a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon which again for the price was a great ride and not much touches the looks of it on the road (an opinion for sure but backed up by the looks of passerbyes)

But - after a year of getting crap from almost everyone, I stopped defending it and upgraded to the Z.

Again - it may be immature but its a fact.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:41 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by phishie
saying "its still a neon" cannot be compared to "its just a nissan" Practically every car company puts out a top of the line car, and a bottom of the line car. The neon is the pos bottom of the line shitbox from dodge. Nissan makes the Sentra. I don't care if the Sentra ran 10s from the showroom floor. Its still a sentra, and the neon is still a neon.
Fact is that "shitbox" is still as fast if not faster than your car and with easy mod potential.

Beauty and appeal is in the eye of the beholder....don't knock somone else's ideals just because you think their car is a "POS". Is the Z a NICER car.....i would say so....but to rag on a neon and call it a shitbox is uncalled for IMO.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:25 PM
1sweet00SS

Originally posted by phishie
saying "its still a neon" cannot be compared to "its just a nissan" Practically every car company puts out a top of the line car, and a bottom of the line car. The neon is the pos bottom of the line shitbox from dodge. Nissan makes the Sentra. I don't care if the Sentra ran 10s from the showroom floor. Its still a sentra, and the neon is still a neon.
I notice you live in So Cal . If you'd like, I'd love to run you Z against my "Neon" at the CA Speedway. Stock for stock. I've only raced 1 (walked away from him at the track), and I've challenged my two neighbors with Z's, but they told me they refuse to lose to a "Neon".

In all honesty, given equal drivers, I believe it's a driver's race. When you start modding, it's a different story. For some of you to say "it's just a Neon" or just a "shitbox", I think that's just a copout and you want to be ready for a comeback when a "Neon" shows you it's taillights.

For 20k, it slaughters anything in it's class, and beats most cars up into the 30+k range. My wife told me I could not buy another 2 door sports cas, and we needed a 4 door car (something inexpensive). Therefore, I needed somthing w/ 4 doors (for my wife), but it needed to be quick (for me). Not to shabby in my opinion.

By the way, here's a video of an SRT-4 with on a "dollar mod" (nothing else) running on street tires at a track back East. His first run, Bone Stock, he ran 13.7 @ 100 mph. This video is his 2nd run w/ the addition of the "Dollar mod":

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1f5mp/s...own_nj_vid.mpg

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5083

BTW, you guys back East run some sick times!

Peace

Last edited by 1sweet00SS; 06-21-2003 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:10 PM
zerobanger

I have my first time at the track this year, first time with my new setup. Should be real cool...a great time to like cars.

I can race in the street catagory and maybe get some competition this year....Evo, STI, SRT, Gonna be fun.

Dont feel bad if you loose to a turbo car, they have a big advantage. I'd rather have a Z than a neon anyday.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:27 PM
87 Turbo Regal

Stock vs. stock, it's a driver's race, pure and simple. The SRT-4 has a tiny, tiny advantage (according to most quarter mile times), but it's not significant enough to say one car is faster then the other.

Also, the Neon has excellent mod potential. The only thing is, does the SRT-4 have equal length driveshafts? Someone please answer that for me if you know. If it does, adding alot of power won't create much torque steer, but if it doesn't have the equal length, then adding too much power will just result in loads of torque steer.

P.S. Don't know if anybody heard this yet? I believe in 3 months (maybe it's even 2 months), DiamlerChrysler will begin offering an upgraded/modified SRT-4 performance package right from the factory and it will not effect the warranty. I believe with the package (which costs a measly $400), the power rating is 260 hp. Should be a vicious little econo-box with 260 hp right from the factory, and keep in mind that the package only costs $400! Also, many people have been dynoing those SRT-4s. Supposidly they are severely underrated and are truly putting out around 220-225 WHEEL horsepower. That means they are truly putting out about 242-247 hp at the crank/flywheel.

Last edited by 87 Turbo Regal; 06-21-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:32 PM
1sweet00SS

Originally posted by 87 Turbo Regal
Stock vs. stock, it's a driver's race, pure and simple. The SRT-4 has a tiny, tiny advantage (according to most quarter mile times), but it's not significant enough to say one car is faster then the other.

Also, the Neon has excellent mod potential. The only thing is, does the SRT-4 have equal length driveshafts? Someone please answer that for me if you know. If it does, adding alot of power won't create much torque steer, but if it doesn't have the equal length, then adding too much power will just result in loads of torque steer.

P.S. Don't know if anybody heard this yet? I believe in 3 months (maybe it's even 2 months), DiamlerChrysler will begin offering an upgraded/modified SRT-4 performance package right from the factory and it will not effect the warranty. I believe with the package (which costs a measly $400), the power rating is 260 hp. Should be a vicious little econo-box with 260 hp right from the factory, and keep in mind that the package only costs $400! Also, many people have been dynoing those SRT-4s. Supposidly they are severely underrated and are truly putting out around 220-225 WHEEL horsepower. That means they are truly putting out about 242-247 hp at the crank/flywheel.

The Mopar Stage 1 is already out and shipping this week. Price is $399. It's has an advertised HP rating of 240 HP and 260 TQ. If this is as conservative as their stock HP ratings, look for 230-240 HP at the wheels, low - mid 13 time slips. Check out:

http://www.mopar.com/perf_srt_turbo.html

As far as the warranty, this has not yet been determined. However, many dealerships have told customers they will cover them under warranty (7/70) as long as the kit is purchased and installed at their dealership. This of course needs to be agreed upon in writing.

To answer your other question, Yes the SRT does have equal length drive shafts. This is to reduce torque steer.

Later
Old 06-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Marc's R/T

It's so funny that some people call the SRT-4 a shitbox, little go-cart, this that and the other but that same car can beat their "manly" car. I know some of you Z folks love your car but don't be your car's *****. It should be the other way around.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:05 PM
KurtP

Default wow....

some of you guys trip me up. some people on here, like all boards, feel thier car is God's gift to four wheels. the SRT is just as fast as a Z, sorry to the folks that dont want to realize it. wanna know whats worse? as you both start pouring dollars into your cars the srt is STILL going to be faster. and by an increasingly larger margin. whats even more funny is that im willing to bet that at least 40% of the people on this board broke the freakin bank to get thier Z and are in many ways "car poor" with a bunch of debt when they could have bought the srt, been within thier means, and had a car just as fast. while the Z is a better handler at the limit, dont forget that the srt chassis is a WELL renowned auto cross chassis for its inherent stiffness and developmentability.

also, the srt-4 IS NOT a neon. dodge doesnt call it a neon. its the SRT-4. it shares a neon chassis and some styling ques, but its not a neon. calling it a neon would be like calling the Z a maxima.(or whatever chassis its based off of) we all know that some of the Z owners here have an endless supply of cash and wouldnt DARE drive something made by dodge(GASP) but lets get real. the srt was built to kick ***, and pretending like you dont care about how fast the car is in a straight line is complete BS. no one is out there measuring up thier D and talking **** about thier skid pad numbers.

$.02
Old 06-21-2003, 10:54 PM
zerobanger

Default Re: wow....

Originally posted by KurtP
some of you guys trip me up. some people on here, like all boards, feel thier car is God's gift to four wheels.

Mine is Gods Personal Charriot

the SRT is just as fast as a Z, sorry to the folks that dont want to realize it.

Yea but the Z looks better, handles better, has a nicer interior, better quality, better fit an finish and is a real sportscar, not an economy car with a turbo and cheap interior + 4 doors

wanna know whats worse? as you both start pouring dollars into your cars the srt is STILL going to be faster.

And the SRT is *STILL* going to be uglier and an econobox with a turbo

and by an increasingly larger margin.

You Betcha!!!

whats even more funny is that im willing to bet that at least 40% of the people on this board broke the freakin bank to get thier Z and are in many ways "car poor" with a bunch of debt when they could have bought the srt, been within thier means, and had a car just as fast.

Whats more funny than that? I bet 90 pct of the Neon owners wish they could afford a Z instead of an economy car parading around as a performance car.

while the Z is a better handler at the limit, dont forget that the srt chassis is a WELL renowned auto cross chassis for its inherent stiffness and developmentability.

And when I think of the FWD it has I get chills down my spine and my tail turns yellow and I run away.

also, the srt-4 IS NOT a neon. dodge doesnt call it a neon. its the SRT-4. it shares a neon chassis and some styling ques, but its not a neon.
Um, it shares some styling cues? Are you blind? Its a freakin' neon with a hood scoop. What is different other than the turbo and the hood scoop. Sounds like you are ashamed of your little econobox!!!

calling it a neon would be like calling the Z a maxima.(or whatever chassis its based off of) we all know that some of the Z owners here have an endless supply of cash and wouldnt DARE drive something made by dodge(GASP) but lets get real.

got news for you, the 350Z looks NOTHING like the maxima. Infact the engine may be a tuned maxima engine, but the chasis is not. The 350Z and G35 may share the same platform but they look different and even have different interiors. you really need to take a hard look at your car, then a neon. Take your turbo out and put a normal neon hood and see what kind of car you really have.

the srt was built to kick ***, and pretending like you dont care about how fast the car is in a straight line is complete BS. no one is out there measuring up thier D and talking **** about thier skid pad numbers.

$.02
I think everyone must recognize that the new neon turbo is a fantastic deal at 20,000. It may be the best deal in the history of cars for 20,000 (for a new car). I'll give you that. I will also say that the performance is astounding considering the price of the car. Money was put into the engine, but quality and interior are lacking, hence its just an economy car with a turbo.

BTW...I think the neon turbo is a good looking car for the price, its just not in the same level as a 350Z. I cant wait till some snot nosed kid pulls up next to my car at a light thinking he's all hot ****.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:09 PM
JamRWS6

Default Re: Re: wow....

Originally posted by zerobanger
I cant wait till some snot nosed kid pulls up next to my car at a light thinking he's all hot ****.
And i can't wait to see the look on your face when that "snot nosed kid" has done a little light modifying and shows your arrogant *** his tailights.....congrats.....you just lost to a SRT-4....or in your case a neon.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Inova

Um, it shares some styling cues? Are you blind? Its a freakin' neon with a hood scoop. What is different other than the turbo and the hood scoop. Sounds like you are ashamed of your little econobox!!!

hahahahha i actually laughed out loud when i read that.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Inova

Default Re: Re: Re: wow....

Originally posted by JamRWS6
And i can't wait to see the look on your face when that "snot nosed kid" has done a little light modifying and shows your arrogant *** his tailights.....congrats.....you just lost to a SRT-4....or in your case a neon.
that was pretty good too
Old 06-22-2003, 05:56 AM
KurtP

i dont have a SRT 4.
im not debating which is more pretty. im arguing whats faster. of course id rather have a Z than a SRT 4, but its far from a "neon with a turbo bolted up"

next thing you know hell be calling the sti and evo "econo boxes"

well whatever.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:01 AM
DamianZ

Default Re: wow....

Originally posted by KurtP
whats even more funny is that im willing to bet that at least 40% of the people on this board broke the freakin bank to get thier Z and are in many ways "car poor" with a bunch of debt when they could have bought the srt, been within thier means, and had a car just as fast.
Yes, and you're that 40 percent.

Heh. I'm even sometimes magnitide to my own charisma. Just to voice an opinion, if someone were to race a Dodge Neon SRT-4 in a 350z I would pull out my shotgun and aim at the tires.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 AM
jackie chan

Hey, im with the contingent that says "It's a neon"...but come on...a few hundred bucks and you have a car that will run with LS1s and thats pretty cool. I know at the trrack my 01 gt vert runs consistently about a .1 quicker than the two srts ive seen there...that doesnt make me defensive about my car though...like some are beginning to sound
Old 06-22-2003, 09:03 AM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by jackie chan
Hey, im with the contingent that says "It's a neon"...but come on...a few hundred bucks and you have a car that will run with LS1s and thats pretty cool. I know at the trrack my 01 gt vert runs consistently about a .1 quicker than the two srts ive seen there...that doesnt make me defensive about my car though...like some are beginning to sound
I agree....
i get tired of people posting absolute BS....
"wow man i just gained 100HP with an exhaust"
Well why don't you bolt on a cold air intake and a 100 shot and go smoke john force
Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 AM
zerobanger

Default Re: Re: Re: wow....

Originally posted by JamRWS6
LOL, I have around 360 to the wheels and weigh 2712, I think he will need to be more than "lightly modified".

oh yea and you better be better than 12.99 @ 110.1 mph, I did 13.00 with just 266 rwhp a year ago.

What a joke.

Last edited by zerobanger; 06-22-2003 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:29 PM
KurtP

Originally posted by DamianZ
Yes, and you're that 40 percent.

dude i drive a GOLF
Old 06-22-2003, 01:21 PM
quallabone_

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: wow....

Originally posted by zerobanger
LOL, I have around 360 to the wheels and weigh 2712, I think he will need to be more than "lightly modified".

oh yea and you better be better than 12.99 @ 110.1 mph, I did 13.00 with just 266 rwhp a year ago.

What a joke.
Is that an *** dyno? What mods do you have?

Quick Reply: whats is faster Dodge Srt or 350z