Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Celica GT-S KILLS 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has a Celica GTS with just about the same mods as the guy who posted that and he is also a really good drive.

I race around with him all the time and hand him his *** with ease expecially off the line. From 0-20ish he car is a dog. But at highway speeds its much better and makes for a closer race but still no competition.

Funny how the guy says he got off to a 1.5 car lenght start after spinning foe 2 seconds when If I race my buddy off the line I instantly pull 2-3 lengths on him depending on my launch.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Mr Fairlady

Well,..I don't think the Z is the End all of Sports cars,..I love it,..but yes it can be beaten and beaten Badly!!!!
I DON't CARE and knowone else on here cares(I think),...the people w/ only like 10posts that are from Other boards come in and see a post like this and think we can't stand to be beaten or some ****??
Sore lossers,..hmm,.well I think a few guys w/ Z's are but don't Stereotype---we're not all the same!!!!

But every CAR oriented board you will see the guys that LOVE their cars and will question certain races or through up the ol' BS FLAG!!!
Go over to Honda-Tech w/ the Type-r guys,...now alot of them are REAL Fu*kin cocky w/ their integra(w/ a serial number)but cool @ the same time,
They will jump all over guys on that board or any visitor for that matter about a ITR race--but I do love the ITR too,..thats just a Forum thing--everyone needs to understand that **** happens on the damn street(that dosen't need to be) but racing is done and people get beat!
If I we're to go over to LS1 or something and say: "Z Smokes the **** out of so-and-so.."
and it was a half believable Kill story--they would be all over my *** too,..and then some that would believe it

Cliff notes:
All I know is yes,.it is possible for the Celica to run w/ a Z no doubt,..and the Z is a quick,KILLER lookin car to me--SC will just be the icing on the cake I'm sure!

"can't we all just get along..."

CHEERS,
Old 06-29-2003, 07:01 PM
haddixracing

Talking

It don't matter how you slice it. Celicas are DOGS out of the hole. The are about as fast as a Sunfire until 5,000RPMS or so. If this guy leaped ahead of the Z that bad out of the hole, it was 100% driver SUCKING and 0% Celica being faster than the Z.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:18 PM
jooklum99

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
I dunno i see Zs beating all these LS1s, why couldnt the celica beat the Z, they are about the same #s apart from Z as the Z is from an LS1...
You know, I posted tha same thing earlier in another thread. We were not there, so we can't call BS. I said it in the "Z smokes LS1" posts and I will say it here; WE were not THERE. Most we can say is that it is implausible or improbable. Now would I place my money on a 350Z vs. GT-S? Yes, same as I would put my $$$ on the Ls1 vs. 350Z...but on the street, anything can happen. Equal drivers, the Z beats the Celica GT-S, just like the LS1 beats the Z.

Peace {Sound of microphone dropping}
Old 06-29-2003, 08:20 PM
AOC

Originally posted by haddixracing
It don't matter how you slice it. Celicas are DOGS out of the hole. The are about as fast as a Sunfire until 5,000RPMS or so. If this guy leaped ahead of the Z that bad out of the hole, it was 100% driver SUCKING and 0% Celica being faster than the Z.

I am not arguing that...like ANY car, drive it at a low rpm out of the hole, and watch it dog out like mommy's caravan. It can actually be very quick out of the hole, if launched at a high high rpm. Launch a modified celica at 6000rpm's with good tires...and you will eat your words with the comment above.

I dont think the Celica is faster...you would have to be an idiot to think that. I just think the margin of error between the cars makes an average/bad driver in the Z loose to an excellent driver in a GTS. Take an excellent driver in both cars...and you have no contest.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:49 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ZEXC-33
ROFLMAO sorry man but identical numbers? Im assuming u mean acceleration given the nature of this thread and that fool who believed his Celica with 190hp LOL bet the Z off the line. Come on, i like the Z too, but to honestly believe its as quick as a purpose built sports car like the 996 Carrera ur trippin. An entry model 996 Carrera with 320hp and 1320kg will cut a low 13sec 1/4, every mag ive read the Z with 280hp and 1463kg is a low-mid 14sec car. Maths just dont add up, sorry dude!
agree that a 911 will beat a Z, BUT the Z has gotten in the 13.8-13.9 range, hardly a "mid-14 sec car" unless your driving

oh, btw, it is 287 NOT 280 (at least the yankee version is)
Old 06-30-2003, 04:01 AM
LBSOHK

well i " raced " 911 , and u can raise the bs flag all u want but i did beat him... now im saying i " raced " him , because it was on the street not on a track , i " beat " him because i had a better launch than he did , plus i consider myself a good driver , maybe he wasnt , if u put 2 drivers with similar skills in those cars theres no doubt that 911 will win , but thats a thing about "street racing " , u never know how the guy next to u is skilled at driving...

on the other note , yesterday i was coming home and i see a kid in a older prelude around 95 trying to race me... i stopped at a light guy lines up to me , i take a look at a guy and give him a friendly " whats up " , he takes off before me ... im laughing cuz i should easily catch up to him right ? wrong , i was at 120 when i reached his rear bumper at we shot down cuz of the traffic...
didnt get a chance to ask him what he had but i was very suprised..
Old 06-30-2003, 09:01 AM
WashUJon

What a laugh. The narrative reads like a boy-racer's dream. He should right short stories for the car magazines.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:09 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by AOC
I am not arguing that...like ANY car, drive it at a low rpm out of the hole, and watch it dog out like mommy's caravan.
Z's have way too much torque to launch at a high RPM....it *has* to be launched at a low RPM unless you wanna spin all day
Old 06-30-2003, 10:40 AM
My996C2

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Pretty slow for a sportscar, but a 996 911 selling for more than twice as much is just as "slow".....
There's no doubt that the Z is a fast car. Kudo's for Nissan for putting together such a competent package for ~$30k. There's just not enough of that going around anymore.

However, I've raced 8 or 9 Z's, from a stop as well as at highway speeds, and the results are the same every time.

From a stop:

The light turns green, the Z more often than not dumps the clutch and gets a car length on me at the launch. I always let out the clutch, then nail it.

End of 1st gear, I'm even. End of 2nd, I have a least a car or two.

By 3rd gear we're going fast enough that I'm just looking ahead, but I can see the Z in the rear view.

From 90MPH:

I had a guy pull up next to me on the interstate in a Track Edition Z and start goosing it at around 90MPH. I downshifted to 4th, which gives me ~5k on the tach.

As soon as I saw his nose jump, I nailed it. I pulled away like Z06's pull away from me. Repeated the process a few times. Same results. By 145MPH, he was so far back I don't know if he was still trying.

I wish I still had my Boxster S. That would be some good close racing.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:06 AM
ColdFuzion

I was wondering how long it would take this thread to show up on this site. I am an owner of a Celica GT-S, btw, and post under the same name at the celica site. I dont have any comments necessarily about the race. I have been reading this forum for a couple months now and enjoy it. I see many Z's around the Tucson area, sweet looking car.

CF
Old 06-30-2003, 11:36 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by kozik
I bought the Z because it looked great and when the happy day comes someone makes a decent blower or turbo for it it will be nice to have some real power.

I almost bought a Z06 that thing is truly fast bone stock..I tested one for an afternoon...but for the price it was just not a nice enough interior..plus there's a billion of the things around here.

very few Z's in San Fran..i have seen maybe 3 total other than mine...people trip on it.

and being a pretty ;nimble' car its fun to drive in town.

deal is though...until the turbo or sc shows up...350Z ai'nt that 'bad'. That day comes tho..450 HP on this little car is going to be AWESOME.

I think porsches are ugly. also around here they are like a 'girls car'..every porsche I see is either an old guy or a 'rich lady'.

the Z is just 'sleazy' enough to qualify as a 'musclecar'...once we get a turbo ....

anyways..as far as racing..i come from v8 land and it is not a race to me unless it has a beginning and an end. from a dead stop to point X. with winesses.

these 'rolling up' at speed deals are not real races. i
That's true, there aren't all that many Z's up here in SF/Bay Area. Might be a byproduct of this funky economy, i.e., Silicon Valley jobless, people moving out of SF for affordable housing, etc.

Just went to LA recently, and the Z was a VERY common site to see.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:17 PM
mb27

My previous car was a stock 2000 celica gt-s. I own a stock base 350z now. Very different cars. The celica is very slow to start, but does get some punch once you hit 6000 rpm as mentioned before. I guess if the celica driver did have it tricked out and knew his car very well, and the z driver was average to poor, something similar to what was posted could have happened. I think he may have exaggerated the jump he got on the z, but I don't doubt he took him.