Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Anybody going to Robeling for hpde in Sep

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:57 PM
dougrace zs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody going to Robeling for hpde in Sep

Just want to see if anybody besides us from Nashville TN are going, shure looks like a lot of track time for an affordable price
Old 09-03-2003, 04:07 PM
bhobson333

You talking about Sept 20 & 21? That's my club that's going (Triangle Z Club) but I don't think I'll be there. I had a conflict. (VIR Full with mazdadrivers)

Have fun!
Old 09-04-2003, 08:28 AM
mpowers

Plan on going to watch, my 350Z not due in till the 19th. You know moral support.

Tidewater Z club member relocated to Savannah, Ga
Old 09-04-2003, 01:34 PM
bhobson333

I spoke to the TZC track coordinator last night & he said he's expecting four 350Zs, two from Tennesee. One of the others is Flyingscot; he has a DB Track but he also has an NX he might take instead. I'll ping Flyingscot & see what his plans are.

If I get bumped from VIR Full (on wait list) I MIGHT show at Roebling.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Flyingscot

I'll be there with my NX and not my Z. Sorry Z guys.

Actually, it looks like this event could be my last real fling with the NX. Work starts soon on a new project car, a spec miata for the SCCA race series.

Maybe next year I'll be more eager to bring the Z out once I step down in power from the NX. I know I'd love to free up some money for a suspension and exhaust upgrade. Looks unlikely though.

I heard the student to instructor ratio is very low so most of us will only have one student. Hopefully, that will mean more track time for everyone.

Cameron
Old 09-04-2003, 05:48 PM
bhobson333

Marty & Stacy were saying that they thought you'd bring the Z because the track at Roebling is better for the Z type car than the NX. Oh well.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:38 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Cameron,
Bring the Z...I haven't seen it yet.

I'll be there as well. Looks like a great turn out.

Another interesting pairing there is an Evo and STi.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:23 PM
driverdog

Default I'll come too!

I'm planning on being in Savannah on that sat. so I'll be there as well, though not to race. It will be good to see any 350's on or off the track. I will be driving my cs baby though. Hopefully I'll meet some of you Z enthusiests and of course to say hi to my good freinds from Vaden Nissan!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by bhobson333
Marty & Stacy were saying that they thought you'd bring the Z because the track at Roebling is better for the Z type car than the NX. Oh well.
Guys, I wouldn't be allowed to do the Time Trial with the Z and that's one of the biggest reasons I'm bringing the NX. A lot of us competitive guys are converging on the last TT of the year. Doing well up against M3s etc will mean a lot to me. I'm still flying the Nissan flag though.

I think the best course for the Z will be VIR Full. There are several places where you will be able to stretch its legs. If you guys do a Full course next year, I promise you, I'll bring the Z.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Cameron
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to the TZC track coordinator last night & he said he's expecting four 350Zs, two from Tennesee. One of the others is Flyingscot; he has a DB Track but he also has an NX he might take instead. I'll ping Flyingscot & see what his plans are.

If I get bumped from VIR Full (on wait list) I MIGHT show at Roebling.
Two from TN???

If you're talking about Roebling... plan on three 350z's and one G35 Sedan.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Evil350z
Two from TN???
Sorry, didn't mean to **** you off. It was an informal conversation, not guaranteed accurate. Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:59 PM
mjedens

Default TN

Make that "4" 350z's and 1 G35 !!!
Old 09-06-2003, 03:47 PM
jehjr68

What is HPDE ? I live in Savannah and sure would like to meet some of you guys!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:56 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by jehjr68
I have seen High Performance Driving Experience and High Performance Driver Education.

Basically you get a road course (straights and turns mixed, with often some elevation changes) and they class the cars not by style or mods but by driver experience. Cars are on the track together, but it is not a race; passing is strictly controlled and safety is a primary concern. Novice and intermediate drivers have instructors in the passenger seat, teaching them how to drive the course as fast as possible.

Typically you get three 30-minute track sessions on both Saturday and Sunday along with some classroom instruction. 30 minutes per session is plenty long enough! The instructors are not professional, they're people like you except they have a lot of experience doing this; their compensation is that they get to run for free or reduced rate. You pay $200-$400 for the weekend.

You consume a lot of gasoline, brake pad and tire rubber and you gain a lot of knowlege of your cars abilities and your strengths and weaknesses as a driver. You become a better driver and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. Because it is education and well-controlled, your insurance covers any damage to your car, but damage is rare. From what I've heard, most of the wrecks occur among the instructor's run group, because they often run track-only cars and get a bit looser.

If you just want to spectate & meet, my experience has been that you can get into the track, park and watch, you just have to know where you're going and seem like you belong there. My experience is not extensive.

More info:

Triangle Z Club

Roebling Road

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-06-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 AM
PhoenixINX

Sorry, didn't mean to **** you off. It was an informal conversation, not guaranteed accurate. Your mileage may vary.
**** me off???

Hell no... look forward to enjoying a cold one with ya!

DOH, sorry Mike... forgot!

Make that four 350z anda G35s!!!!

Going to go look at new helmets today!!! WOO WOO
Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by jehjr68
Brother, bring ALL your local Z buds... Should be a fun event!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:53 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Roebling will be open to all Z's that weekend , if your driving in the HPDE or not. Just come on out and hang out and watch some good driving, and some really nice cars. If you are out on Saturday, you may be able to snag a ride with an instructor to see what it's like on the trtack (and these guys are fast). If your there on Sunday, you should be able to participate in the parade laps (Slower and paced). That will depend on how many cars want to go out on the track then.

I am more than happy to answer any questions.

-Marty
Old 09-08-2003, 10:55 AM
jehjr68

Thanks for the scoop Marty. I can't wait !
Old 09-08-2003, 11:00 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

BTW, We have an Evo and an STi in the same run groups, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. Even though the driver will be the biggest factor. AND this is NOT a COMPETITION!!
Old 09-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by mhoward1
BTW, We have an Evo and an STi in the same run groups, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. Even though the driver will be the biggest factor. AND this is NOT a COMPETITION!!
If it rains even a drop then you can forget about chasing the AWD cars. In fact, if it rains, please promise me you will drive carefully. I'd hate to see someone's car get damaged. The surface at Roebling is ever changing, so grip levels vary a lot. Not such an issue in the dry, but like I say, treat the track with a little respect until you get to know where the slippery spots are. If it rains, I would consider leaving VDC ON to help you out a little.

Anyway, the news from VIR South was both good and bad. "Good" meaning I had a good time. "Bad" meaning I corded a tire on Sunday, which basically means the NX will be parked.

So, by popular demand, I will bring my 350Z to a Z event of all things - imagine that - and will try and bum a ride for the Time Trial.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all. It was good to hang out with Rob McClaskey over the weekend. I was instructing a student in the same run group and I have to say he looked great. Plus, I loved the sound of the Borla as he passed us at full song.

See you soon!

Cameron

Last edited by Flyingscot; 09-08-2003 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody going to Robeling for hpde in Sep