Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 AM
ZON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounded sic in that vid. I think your Australian dyno's do read a lot lower than over here. Thank you for sharing the whole way.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Z350Lover

No problem... I am also learning my way through too... really need to thank a lot of people on this forum helping me out with questions and parts... It is always good to get feedbacks too after I share my experiences with the mods, then more improvements can be made

cheers,

richie
Old 02-06-2006, 02:33 AM
super_fla

any other video's you can post? i can't wait to see that 8 k Rpm in the street ( in car view )
i also preffere that you show the rev meter in action

thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 03:39 AM
bswanny

wow! unbelievable. Nice job. It's a work of art and then some.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Nano

good job, awesome machine
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Z350Lover

Thanks guys... now... need some feedback on the light weight pulley...

I used to run UR light weight crank pulley until the machine shop lost it during balancing that piece again... so I got the standard pulley balanced instead and am using the heavy stock crank pulley now.

Machine shop is going to either get another UR crank pulley for me or give me the cash back instead... I heard from many people saying that using underdriven pulley seems to be a good idea for higher rpm (up to 8000rpm) since that will not overload the rest of the working parts around the engine... I don't mind staying with stock pulley because I know I will not be able to gain much from the UR anyway at this stage... I just want to know if it is true that using under-driven pulley will actually help reducing the loads (on engine or any other parts) when the engine is running up to 8000rpm?! Or it will do more damages?

Thanks guys!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought my Z sounded good at 7100rm...lol. Wow Richie that sounded soooo swet man. I can only imagine the rush you get revving her to 8k rpm. Man that was the best sounding Z I have ever heard. Congrats on the build and we NA guys will be definatley keeping an eye on your Z. Beautiful car man. I love it. I couldn't agree with you more.... thats how the 350z should be from the factory. Lol.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
yway at this stage... I just want to know if it is true that using under-driven pulley will actually help reducing the loads (on engine or any other parts) when the engine is running up to 8000rpm?! Or it will do more damages?
richie
Richie,

With an engine like yours, I suggest staying far away from the light weight, undamped pullies. You need a fluid damper pully.

It help increase the longevity of your engine by damping out crank harmonics. They are specially made for high reving race applications. And your engine certaintly qualifies for that definition.

There are many on the market. Check into them. They cost several times more than a standard pully, but in your case it would be a good investment.

Tony
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Z350Lover

thanks Tony... do you have any suggestion into which brand that I should look into? This is my first time to hear this type of pulley (fluid damper pulley) though... I will definitely want to learn more about it and if you can be able to share your expertise with all of us, it will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance once again!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
rednezz

Couldn't he just get a light weight pulley and balance with the rest of the engine? Also, I thought fluid dampers were for American engines because they are not balanced internally?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:49 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by rednezz
Couldn't he just get a light weight pulley and balance with the rest of the engine? Also, I thought fluid dampers were for American engines because they are not balanced internally?
Richie has already had all this engine internals(rods, pistons, crank etc) + externals (flywheel, clutch, crank pulley etc) dynamically balanced all together.

Mega HP cars with sky high rpms like highly tuned RB26 etc do run aftermarket fluid dampers to cancel out vibtation like Tony mentioned. A fully balanced motor will still create vibration at really high rpm. I dont know any companies who make one for the 350z.

Last edited by mchapman; 02-08-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rednezz
Balancing and Harmonics are related, but different. His rotating assembly is balanced, essentially meaning that no one side or lobe of his crankshaft has more mass than another. So it spins smoothly enough- but there is still the vibrations caused by the individual surges of power strokes being applied to the crank. Because the surges are applied every 120 degrees of rotation, the load on the crank is not even and smooth over the course of one cycle, and this causes harmonic vibrations. The higher the rpm, the more pronounced and devestating these vibrations become. A fluid damper would help with this.
Will
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
rednezz

Thanks for the info! This has got to be the best NA thread ever. Lots of information to learn from.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Z350Lover

Resolute,

Thanks for that... really appreciate for the explanations! That surely clears things up for me!

I found a company called Fluidampr that offers fluid harmonic balancers... but they are like 7.22 ponds which is around 1 pond heavier than the stock pulley though...

Here is the link

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...fluidampr.html

Do you think that's the one that I should look into?

cheers,

richie
Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Nismo 350z

I thought the Z didn't come with a harmonic dampener???
Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
NissanBlack350Z

good luck on the project
Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ritchi
Dont use an underdrive pully on your motor, they are not a harmonic balancer.
No problems for most people that run them but with your high rev application you need the protection they were designed for, not the miniscule HP gain made by underdriving.
The water pump is driven by the timing chain so you cant do any thing about that.
The Hitachi alternator is good for 8k.
The power steerpump will be OK. It will o,heat on the track if you do a lot of laps but with stock revs they do the same.
The problem is the Air con compressor ( they dont like high revs) but you have the solution with your MoTeC.
Get it to trigger a relay to cut power to the Air con clutch @ say 6K just in case you forget to turn it off in the heat of the battle.
Dont think it can't happen. When the adrenalin starts to pump the brain does some silly things.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by Nathan
Ritchi
Dont use an underdrive pully on your motor, they are not a harmonic balancer.
No problems for most people that run them but with your high rev application you need the protection they were designed for, not the miniscule HP gain made by underdriving.
The water pump is driven by the timing chain so you cant do any thing about that.
The Hitachi alternator is good for 8k.
The power steerpump will be OK. It will o,heat on the track if you do a lot of laps but with stock revs they do the same.
The problem is the Air con compressor ( they dont like high revs) but you have the solution with your MoTeC.
Get it to trigger a relay to cut power to the Air con clutch @ say 6K just in case you forget to turn it off in the heat of the battle.
Dont think it can't happen. When the adrenalin starts to pump the brain does some silly things.
Thanks Peter... I will ask Simon to do the adjustment for me with the A/C compressor @ the MoTeC... and I normally don't push the car with the A/C turned on either, but you are correct.... once the adrenalin kicks in, no one knows what will silly things will I do!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Resolute,

Thanks for that... really appreciate for the explanations! That surely clears things up for me!

I found a company called Fluidampr that offers fluid harmonic balancers... but they are like 7.22 ponds which is around 1 pond heavier than the stock pulley though...

Here is the link

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...fluidampr.html

Do you think that's the one that I should look into?

cheers,

richie
Perfect!

That's the type of damper you want. Or even Fluidyne! And I know they make one to fit the VQ crank. GeePasta has one on his G35.

If I remember correctly, I think Performance Nissan might carry one too... but don't quote me on that one.

And yes, it will typically be a pound or two heavier than stock, but when you really need to damp out the harmonics and resonances, its the only way to go. And I'm sure your super revup engine could benefit from it.

Tony
Old 02-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Z350Lover

Tony... thanks for the suggestion... I have just ordered a fluid damper from Summit Racing... and the vibration balancer isn't that much heavier than the stock one... it is around 400 grams more only... I should get that soon by the end of this week...

Here is the link to that product if anyone is interested in purchasing one...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

cheers,

richie

Quick Reply: Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)