Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam - is your machinist back at work yet? wondering if you can provide us the valve timing spec for Tomei 268 cams.. thanks !
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

valve timing? valve timing is not adjustable on the Z unless you have VTC gears or a standalone. The 268's are designed around a stock VTC curve -it would be trial and error beyond that
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - all cams are designed with stock VTC curve.

I do have the ability to adjust valve timing.. and with valve timing info its much easier to calculate the theorical VTC curve to start with as the sweet spot of cam timing is pretty narrow.

I read from one of your posts saying that you have got the valve timing specs from Tomei by asking.. and would provide it to whoever needs the info... so I asked It'd be greatly appreciated if you can help me out here.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
my cost and your cost would be 2 totally different things, since we assembled the motor here, and did all the swap work (taking my old motor out, and installing the new motor) in house. Also, machine work, for the heads and plenum just as an example, vary greatly from shop to shop, so there is no way for me to quantify this. You would be best off consulting an engine builder and asking what they would get for it with full head work, block machining, balancing, etc.
how important was the bottom end build to the car anyhow? I mean I know you had to balance it and throw in stronger rods & bearings to turn those rediculous RPM's yours does. but if one were wanting to keep it down to like 7500-7700 RPM's with similar power band to yours, could ya do it just building the top half of the engine? maybe Nismo heads, cosworth manifold, and some HIGH lift cams with like 268-272 duration (along with all the other stuff I dont feel like listing )?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
Yes - all cams are designed with stock VTC curve.

I do have the ability to adjust valve timing.. and with valve timing info its much easier to calculate the theorical VTC curve to start with as the sweet spot of cam timing is pretty narrow.

I read from one of your posts saying that you have got the valve timing specs from Tomei by asking.. and would provide it to whoever needs the info... so I asked It'd be greatly appreciated if you can help me out here.

Thanks
Not all cams are designed to work with the stock VTC curve at all. The VTC angles will vary from setup to setup, so your best bet if you have the ability to map VTC yourself, is to start with a stock curve and simply map it to suit your engines needs and wants. We might have had the info at one point for the older cams, but since they aren't made anymore, I only have the starting figures for the newer Tomei's with the higher lift/duration #'s.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-17-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
how important was the bottom end build to the car anyhow? I mean I know you had to balance it and throw in stronger rods & bearings to turn those rediculous RPM's yours does. but if one were wanting to keep it down to like 7500-7700 RPM's with similar power band to yours, could ya do it just building the top half of the engine? maybe Nismo heads, cosworth manifold, and some HIGH lift cams with like 268-272 duration (along with all the other stuff I dont feel like listing )?
The bottom end and top end go hand in hand - you can't reliably spin a motor over and over again without it being properly balanced, and that means a complete tear down and rebuild. The rpm's are essential for NA power on a VQ - it's just the nature of the motor. Given that pistons and rods don't cost all that much - especially relative to what you will spend for the rest (headers, cams, head work, ecu, etc) in my own opinion, it would be silly to try to do it with a stock bottom end. Could it be done? I suppose it could, but it's not something I see the point in trying. I just didn't want to take any chances so I felt building the bottom end was the best way to make things work as efficiently as possible, without leaving any weak links in the chain.

Many of the high lift NA cams worth having also won't work with stock pistons...they would need machining for proper valve clearance.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-17-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
ke0ki2k

gotcha gotcha...so your engine is basically ok to have the **** run out of it for years to come? lol and cams that run like...11.5mm lift wont work with stock pistons?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 01-17-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I didn't want a motor I'd have to rebuild, so this is designed to be as robust as it needed to be, to last me for as long as I'd ever need

I suppose it would depend on the cam. Tomei I know says that over 11.0, at least for their cams, will require reliefs cut into the pistons

" The above camshafts are sold as a pair for each side, either Inlet or Exhaust.
* Cams with cam lift greater than 11mm will require the valve springs to be upgraded as well.
* Cams with cam lift greater than 11mm will require valve recession on the standard pistons as well.
* Not compatible with engine models with variable valve timing (eVTC) on the exhaust side.
(Also not compatible with the Z33 Anniversary edition from Sept 2005 onwards)."
Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
ke0ki2k

well that clears alot of confusion up. regardless I'm kinda screwed in the exhaust cam department. I read BC is gonna make some revup cams, is Tomei gonna come out with any?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

at some point they might, but I have not heard anything specific from any companies with respect to revup cams yet
Old 01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
ke0ki2k

gotcha gotcha. ahhh well, doesnt matter. im broke
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM
lamaz

Posting removed at thread owner's request. Sorry for attempted thread jacking. Will generate new post in appropriate sub-forum.

-LamaZ

Last edited by lamaz; 02-18-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^ You need to start a new thread.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 AM
aggietsi

Good read. Sounds like the car is a beast to drive. Did you ever get your hands on a Cosworth manifold? Ever get the RMS replaced?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 AM
ke0ki2k

whens this 4.2 liter high compression N/A build comin Kwame? maybe a Haltech platinum with ITBs and Nismo Spec 2 heads/cams? go WILD! 450 bhp N/A here we come!

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-18-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Yep we fixed the rear main seal issue several months ago, and all has been perfect! Hopefully once the backorders are filled a spare manifold will present itself for me to try

Kwame's car is coming along - we should see the motor back here soon and then we'll start his assembly. He will be running a Haltech from the looks of it, as we have the NISMO VTC pullies, which we need to control because of his cams (Tomei 280's) and right now the Haltech looks to be the best bang for the buck. We have thought about ITB's but I don't think its worth the price of admission for a street car - way too costly to do properly, since no one even makes an airbox (which is the only way to do it correctly unless you cut a giant hole in the hood). Kwame's heads are fully built, all done by our same engine builder
Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggietsi
Ever get the RMS replaced?
FWIW I've worked on my fair share of VQ's (3.0 and 3.5) and have never seen a RMS leak, regardless of mileage. It's always been the gasket that goes between the RMS retainer and the pan. This assumes, of course, proper installation (factory).
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 AM
track1z

REALLY clean job. I like the pictures.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
track1z

Default Said so WELL!

Originally Posted by dTor
I've only read the first and last pages of this thread, so I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but...

THANK YOU!! Firstly, for finally doing something that I've long wanted to do, but lacked the resources for proper R&D of what parts will work best.

Mostly, I want to thank you for NOT using so-called "top of the line parts (i.e. Carrillo rods, Arias pistons and the like). Most knowledgeable builders know that such expensive parts are NOT necessary, but it seems that all too often many, if not most, consumers (at least for our cars) seem to be under the impression that if they don't spend at least $2k-$3k on their rotating assembly then it's just junk. What they fail to realize is the Eagle has been making very high quality, but reasonably priced engine components for many years in the domestic market. Same with Wiseco. Also, much applause for using the stock crank, valves, heads, and bearings.

With the exception of the headwork done and the B&B of the rotating assembly, this could one day be a very affordable build, once more builders get experience and get into the market and (hopefully) bring prices down a bit.
I agree 100% with you.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
zxman69

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Yep we fixed the rear main seal issue several months ago, and all has been perfect! Hopefully once the backorders are filled a spare manifold will present itself for me to try

Kwame's car is coming along - we should see the motor back here soon and then we'll start his assembly. He will be running a Haltech from the looks of it, as we have the NISMO VTC pullies, which we need to control because of his cams (Tomei 280's) and right now the Haltech looks to be the best bang for the buck. We have thought about ITB's but I don't think its worth the price of admission for a street car - way too costly to do properly, since no one even makes an airbox (which is the only way to do it correctly unless you cut a giant hole in the hood). Kwame's heads are fully built, all done by our same engine builder
Hey Adam why would Kwame have to cut a hole in his hood to use the ITB's? His car would be ideal for them since he using a Haltch and can get away without having to use an airbox to work with the MAF. He can ditch that and run using airtemp and map sensor. He would just have to put filters on the bodies.By the way airboxes are on the way, and then we should have a few dyno sheets up for you soon.

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)