Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miamimax96
FWIW I've worked on my fair share of VQ's (3.0 and 3.5) and have never seen a RMS leak, regardless of mileage. It's always been the gasket that goes between the RMS retainer and the pan. This assumes, of course, proper installation (factory).
on a stock car you're right...Ive never seen it either

I've seen it many times on cars with built motors, as its not the easiest thing to get seated properly. I'm not the first person with a built motor to have the exact same problem. My leak wasn't horrible, but it wasn't how it should be, and as such, it was only right to fix it

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-18-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zxman69
Hey Adam why would Kwame have to cut a hole in his hood to use the ITB's? His car would be ideal for them since he using a Haltch and can get away without having to use an airbox to work with the MAF. He can ditch that and run using airtemp and map sensor. He would just have to put filters on the bodies.By the way airboxes are on the way, and then we should have a few dyno sheets up for you soon.
because without an airbox, all you're sucking in is warm engine air, especially considering the air horns would be pointing upward, which is absolutely horrible for any sort of meaningful power. Even if they pointed sideways, the only right way to do it is with an airbox with fully ducted cold air getting to the horns. Without the box, the only option is a giant hole in the hood to get cold air in there. While they would be cool to have on both my car and his with a proper airbox, I just don't think its what we'll end up with.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
on a stock car you're right...Ive never seen it either

I've seen it many times on cars with built motors, as its not the easiest thing to get seated properly. I'm not the first person with a built motor to have the exact same problem. My leak wasn't horrible, but it wasn't how it should be, and as such, it was only right to fix it
I figured it was due to improper installation. My post was more of an FYI for anyone who instinctively assumes they need a new RMS at the first sight of oil by the engine/tranny junction, especially if the factory RMS has never been removed. This wasn't a knock on you at all.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no I hear ya^
Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He will be running a Haltech from the looks of it, as we have the NISMO VTC pullies, which we need to control because of his cams (Tomei 280's) and right now the Haltech looks to be the best bang for the buck.
Are the Nismo VTC pullies electronically controlled like the RevUp phasers?

I thought they bolted together and the cam timing was mechanically advanced and retarded. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong pullies?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
Are the Nismo VTC pullies electronically controlled like the RevUp phasers?

I thought they bolted together and the cam timing was mechanically advanced and retarded. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong pullies?
JB,

the nismo cam pullies just allow for more advance of the intake cam. they have more range of movement than the the stock pullies. I think the main reason for them is too allow for better drivablility at low throttle angles (when the ECu has the cams fully advanced) when combined with long duration cams.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
ke0ki2k

Yep we fixed the rear main seal issue several months ago, and all has been perfect! Hopefully once the backorders are filled a spare manifold will present itself for me to try

Kwame's car is coming along - we should see the motor back here soon and then we'll start his assembly. He will be running a Haltech from the looks of it, as we have the NISMO VTC pullies, which we need to control because of his cams (Tomei 280's) and right now the Haltech looks to be the best bang for the buck. We have thought about ITB's but I don't think its worth the price of admission for a street car - way too costly to do properly, since no one even makes an airbox (which is the only way to do it correctly unless you cut a giant hole in the hood). Kwame's heads are fully built, all done by our same engine builder
thats going to be roughly insane. he gonna run 3.9 gears too? lol. man thats gonna be an intense ride....
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

he will have 4.08 in his car
Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 AM
hunter6

Maybe I missed it before but...how high compression is "Kwame's High Compression" build going to be? Will it be able to go to the pumps?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

we'll do a new post once his motor is assembled with the final specs ( I don't remember them), but yes, of course it will run on pump gas (93 octane). No point in building an engine for a street car that can't run on normal fuel
Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm more excited to see this car go back in for a final tune. Lest everyone not forget that this is the first and only tune for this car. Adam, our tuner and all of us have learned a lot since the first tune and I am looking forward to applying those lessons to the next tune and trying to squeeze some more power out of this badboy. I can only imagine his 8200rpm redline and even more power. Nasty!

Last edited by Kwame; 02-19-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ehem...currently at 8400 not that it really matters, I only can "see" 8k on the stock tach lol
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Kwame

My bad...

I'll admit its kinda crazy watching the Tach pinned at 8K and you not shifting immediately.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if anyone has an 07 + cluster they want to part with from maybe a totalled car, let me know!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 AM
hunter6

No point in building an engine for a street car that can't run on normal fuel
Outstanding...I really hope after all the R&D is done you all consider packaging this up and selling it to those of us who: 1) Can't do the work ourselves and; 2) Want reliable NA power.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

we can sell you all the components, but we really have no interest in selling assembled engines
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 AM
RKnight

Adam, excellent write up.Something I noticed on the first page parts lists is that there are no fuel pump or injectors upgrades. And as you get higher with the HP will you consider going to a return fuel system such as the one AAM sells?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Kwame

^^^ That's something we won't know until we are actually tuning the car. At this point the injector duty cycles and the stock fuel pump are all operating at levels that are not of a concern. If it becomes an issue the next time the car is being tuned we have the parts waiting in the wings. Hopefully, its not necessary as this car is all buttonned up at this point, but if has to be done than it has to be done.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I can't see ever needing a return setup with an NA setup on this car - the fuel demands just aren't there to warrant the time and expense.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
RKnight

Reason I asked is because a while back Nissan Sport did a interview with the guys at Unitech on the Grand Am car. They felt that 300 hp was about the limit for the stock fuel system.Especialy the small diameter of the fuel supply line. Another thing of intrest was that they said the LSD was the best mod. to aid in the cars performance.

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)