Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 AM
scratch137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THis thread makes me feel amazing lol. All giddy and stuff lol. Now seeing not 1, but 2 people make a NA build w/ 300+ WHP makes me think i can maybe do it too ahha. It brings hope that soon, 300 will be ez, that soon, we will be able to get that using less and less new parts. IDK, call me crazy, but i think if a few more people invest in NA power, it might soon become alot easier for the rest of us to reach our goals.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scratch137
THis thread makes me feel amazing lol. All giddy and stuff lol. Now seeing not 1, but 2 people make a NA build w/ 300+ WHP makes me think i can maybe do it too ahha. It brings hope that soon, 300 will be ez, that soon, we will be able to get that using less and less new parts. IDK, call me crazy, but i think if a few more people invest in NA power, it might soon become alot easier for the rest of us to reach our goals.
that's my goal...I knew it could be done, and to be honest, so far it hasn't been all THAT difficult..just the right attention paid to certain aspects. We're going to be trying some stuff soon that I am hoping will yield even better results.

Bottom line...this ain't a cheap way to go, and it's more than the sum of it's parts, but I am hoping over time we can do for the NA side of things what some of the others have done for the Forced Induction segment.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-07-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't let Adam fool you however. This project wasn't exactly for the faint of heart and I know first hand. It took A LOT of patience and its not exactly a budget build. It wasn't as expensive as a built motor TT setup but it still wasn't cheap.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
03BlkSETE

Awesome and very inspiring. Are you going to stick with the Tomei cams?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty damned impressive considering the relatively mild CR and cams.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Congratulations on an incredibly interesting project! I'm sure that I'm just one of many people interested in making more NA horsepower without going FI. I'll be following your progress with interest..

I'm curious about putting cams in a VQ. Are all the aftermarket cams ground to provide proper valve-to-piston clearance with stock valve reliefs in the OEM pistons? I know you built your motor from scratch, so you could easily check you clearance, but I read a lot of posts where people install new cams and no one seems to mention needing to fly-cut their pistons for additional clearance.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
gsazabi

that motor looks sexy
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Awesome and very inspiring. Are you going to stick with the Tomei cams?
for now, absolutely. As you might know, swapping cams on this car is not the easiest thing in the world. I think the goal now is to try and maximize this current setup. I have a # in my head I want to reach, and we'll see what we can do to get there without going back inside the engine
Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by __jb
Congratulations on an incredibly interesting project! I'm sure that I'm just one of many people interested in making more NA horsepower without going FI. I'll be following your progress with interest..

I'm curious about putting cams in a VQ. Are all the aftermarket cams ground to provide proper valve-to-piston clearance with stock valve reliefs in the OEM pistons? I know you built your motor from scratch, so you could easily check you clearance, but I read a lot of posts where people install new cams and no one seems to mention needing to fly-cut their pistons for additional clearance.
good question and the answer is no...not all of them are. Since mine was all blueprinted, everything was checked, rechecked, and rechecked again. I don't have a full list of which are and aren't, but suffice it to say, most people doing the more radical cams are doing it as part of a full build similar to mine, so the machinist should, and would, check such clearances. I know the higher spec Tomei Pro Cams (with the 11.3mm lift) need additional machining to the piston for clearance.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 PM
hunter6

Great news...thanks for the write-up. I'm really only interested in a NA build and will stay tuned for futher developments. Perhaps you will offer a standard NA build package in the future? If so, I'm in (if it works for the REV-UP too).
Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 PM
myG35zx

Are you planning at 1/4 mile stints? To be honest, this is what I have been looking for. I'm curious about the ability of your motor to do 100 miles daily and still be fuel efficient (atleast similar to factory ) What is your plan for selling these or building them. Can I fly out for a test drive?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by myG35zx
Are you planning at 1/4 mile stints? To be honest, this is what I have been looking for. I'm curious about the ability of your motor to do 100 miles daily and still be fuel efficient (atleast similar to factory ) What is your plan for selling these or building them. Can I fly out for a test drive?
At some point, maybe, but honestly, I am not a 1/4 fan, so who knows

as for selling it, that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves at this point - time will tell

Currently at 1200 miles on the motor BTW
Old 07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
hunter6

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
At some point, maybe, but honestly, I am not a 1/4 fan, so who knows

as for selling it, that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves at this point - time will tell

Currently at 1200 miles on the motor BTW
Understood....but 1/4 mile times would be a (one) great indicator of the engine's performance. Plus it would help us dream until you do put pricing together......
Old 07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Andres_Miami

you suck! man I envy you, if you see my mods on my profile I am in the same track that you took. Last week I got the 3.9 gear, I am waiting on a good deal for the lsd and JWT C-2 camshafts. I'm not taking the 11:1 compresion path for two reasons, one, after going back and forward with the guys of AP Boss, they told me I will need to run 100 oct. min. not good for a daily driven. The second reason is the time. I use my car every day, and I don't care driving on bucket seat all day, but waking in Miami is not an option, so I can not park my car for more than a week.

I will really like to compare some numbers when I finshed my car. Congratulations!

Last edited by Andres_Miami; 07-07-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andres_Miami
you suck! man I envy you, if you see my mods on my profile I am in the same track that you took. Last week I got the 3.9 gear, I am waiting on a good deal for the lsd and JWT C-1 camshafts. I'm not taking the 11:1 compresion path for two reasons, one, after going back and forward with the guys of AP Boss, they told me I will need to run 100 oct. min. not good for a daily driven. The second reason is the time. I use my car every day, and I don't care driving on bucket seat all day, but waking in Miami is not an option, so I can not park my car for more than a week.

I will really like to compare some numbers when I finshed my car. Congratulations!
not for nothing, but they are completely, utterly wrong

there are lots of cars on the market that run higher than 11.1, from the factory - the static compression ratio you run honestly makes 0 difference...it's all in the tune. If I want to tune this to run on 87 octane, I could. You are talking about an increase in compression of .7 points (in my case, 1 full point). Think about a boosted car - you are looking at multiples of stock compression when under boost. The answer, is, as it is with any good running car, the tuning.

The trick to making the power on these is not just the heads...its being able to rev. That's just not something you can do on an 03/04/non rev up 05 without going the whole 9 yards unfortunately

The above chart is on pump gas, straight 93 octane that I got that morning. We also did a race gas map (110 octane) but I didn't even bother posting it, as it only gained 3 peak whp, even though it took another 3 degrees of timing - that right there goes to show you, the added compression is not taking advantage of the slower burn.

The day I tuned was in the 80's and insanely humid - and we still got to that #, pump gas, on a conservative tune

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-07-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Andres_Miami

Hell yeah, you can set it up your car to run 87, but don't expect to run 8000rpm, nor having 300hp. I agree with you that there are F.I. Z running on stock engine and boosting enough to go over the 11:1, never the less (and it seams you know your S***T) they don't have 11:1 when they take the foot out of the pedal. You know we can go back and forward on the shear forces that the internals will experience on the 4 stroke process. Point been, is that you will have to go the whole 9 yards as you mention, and that is why you can’t compare F.I. against N/A is this situation.

I believe that the cams have a great deal in this equation, since I can’t make my ECU go over 7000rpms, without putting a stand alone (if you know other way, please let me know. I will really appreciate it). That is why I’m planning on a more aggressive lift/angle for the valves, trying to compensate the lack of rev.

I will also try to shout for the 300whp, let’s see how it goes. At the end if it doesn’t work I guess I will go for the 11:1

Congratulations again!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
not for nothing, but they are completely, utterly wrong

there are lots of cars on the market that run higher than 11.1, from the factory - the static compression ratio you run honestly makes 0 difference...it's all in the tune. If I want to tune this to run on 87 octane, I could. You are talking about an increase in compression of .7 points (in my case, 1 full point). Think about a boosted car - you are looking at multiples of stock compression when under boost. The answer, is, as it is with any good running car, the tuning.

The trick to making the power on these is not just the heads...its being able to rev. That's just not something you can do on an 03/04/non rev up 05 without going the whole 9 yards unfortunately

The above chart is on pump gas, straight 93 octane that I got that morning. We also did a race gas map (110 octane) but I didn't even bother posting it, as it only gained 3 peak whp, even though it took another 3 degrees of timing - that right there goes to show you, the added compression is not taking advantage of the slower burn.

The day I tuned was in the 80's and insanely humid - and we still got to that #, pump gas, on a conservative tune

+100 on the compression. Hell, the GT3 runs what...12.5.1 from the factory? Also if u pulled 303whp on a hot humid day with a conservative tune...then thats insanely awesome!!! I could only imagine what she would put down in the winter time with a more aggresive tune. Also that number you are trying to get...is it 320whp??

Please post vids as soon as u can Adam and post pics when u are done with the rest of the car.

Edit...those valve covers....amazing.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andres_Miami
Hell yeah, you can set it up your car to run 87, but don't expect to run 8000rpm, nor having 300hp. I agree with you that there are F.I. Z running on stock engine and boosting enough to go over the 11:1, never the less (and it seams you know your S***T) they don't have 11:1 when they take the foot out of the pedal. You know we can go back and forward on the shear forces that the internals will experience on the 4 stroke process. Point been, is that you will have to go the whole 9 yards as you mention, and that is why you can’t compare F.I. against N/A is this situation.

I believe that the cams have a great deal in this equation, since I can’t make my ECU go over 7000rpms, without putting a stand alone (if you know other way, please let me know. I will really appreciate it). That is why I’m planning on a more aggressive lift/angle for the valves, trying to compensate the lack of rev.

I will also try to shout for the 300whp, let’s see how it goes. At the end if it doesn’t work I guess I will go for the 11:1

Congratulations again!
But that's just the point - you don't need 100 octane to run 11:1 compression on this, or any other modern motor. You can run it at 87 octane if you like, with the right tune. Of course that won't net you max power, but it will also not blow up, ever, if tuned properly

Why is your ecu limited to 7k?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
+100 on the compression. Hell, the GT3 runs what...12.5.1 from the factory? Also if u pulled 303whp on a hot humid day with a conservative tune...then thats insanely awesome!!! I could only imagine what she would put down in the winter time with a more aggresive tune. Also that number you are trying to get...is it 320whp??

Please post vids as soon as u can Adam and post pics when u are done with the rest of the car.

Edit...those valve covers....amazing.
I'm going to meet a buddy tomorrow in NJ for some sushi and jdm mag recon. I think he might have the camera mount, and if so, I'll take some vids.

I've got some really nice pics of certain parts of the car now, but with the whole body work being redone this coming week, I'd rather wait till that's wrapped up. But, the same guy (who works for Z1, doing Evo parts sales) who snapped the engine pics, will do the photo shoot of the car upon completion.

Does anyone know what sort of software I need to take a movie I record on my "gasp" Digital 8 camcorder (circa 1999!) and burn it onto my computer?

TIA!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM
gothchick

Very inspirational! Another poster mentioned feeling 'giddy'... Yeah, I'm feeling it too! Lol! I'm about to buy a second car so I can start a serious build on my Z. The research & work you're doing is invaluable to our community. Thanks for posting & sharing... :-)

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)