Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

My NASA Racecar NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
So havent updated in a while. We are off to Sebring this weekend for 5 hours of open track time with SAFE. NASA Florida is off until September so this is all just seat time for me. I have my first wheel to wheel race in September in PBIR as I start the process to finish my rookie race license.

We ran an event last weekend at HMS for some practice and to do some testing. My best time there prior was a slow 1:43.4 on 275/35/18 R6. We had a feeling that these tires were just too much tire for the car so we went down to a 255/35/18. These tires are the same width surprisingly but a little smaller in diameter which brings the gearing up about 4.08. The temps that day were way hotter than the day I did the 1:43.4. The best time of the day was a 1:41.2 and that was with alot of traffic to manage. Ill be sure to post up if we see better performance from the these tires at Sebring this weekend. My best time there to date is a 2:34.2 or so.

We also had a throttle body take a crap in the 3rd session. The car just went into limp mode so thankfully I had a spare with me. Changed that baby in about 13 minutes and went back out. We had to go to rain tires for the 3rd and 4th sessions because of rain. It was here that I found out the hard way that I had wheel sensor go bad at some point because my ABS wasnt enabled. Nothing like locking all 4 up and going right off in turn 2 and through the wet grass!

Otherwise, the car is running strong and turning heads at every event she goes to. Stay tuned for more updates!
What do you mean they were "too much"? Too much width and not enough power to use it? Too wide to get heat in them? I run the R6 285s myself, hence my questioning.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said above, the specs of both the 255 and the 275 are 10.3" wide. The benefit of the 255" is that is an inch smaller in diameter, and a pound or two lighter. The smaller sidewall has made turn in much smoother and really let me get on the throttle quicker. I can definitely feel an improvement in out of the corner pull and I can carry more momentum. Again, it was the first day on the new tires so I will have more evidence for my experiment after Sebring tomorrow.

I dont know the specs of your car but a 285 Hoosier R6 is way overkill on these cars, at least in n/a form. I can almost guarantee that you will see an improvement in your times by going down to a narrower tire. The optimal tire is not always the widest one you can fit on the car, though I know you are aware of that. Hell, most of the 380whp+ C5 corvettes around here run on 275s. Also, in Spec Miata, to my knowledge, the drivers can run either a 205 width RA1 or a 225 width RA1. I dont think I have even seen a front running Miata on 225s. because it has been proven that the narrower tire is faster. Im always happy to discuss setup and details, etc.

Cheers,
Joseph

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 07-30-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

^Interesting.....I wonder why it is then that all the top level club (T2 in particular) run the widest tire allotted them (285 hoosier). I can't in my memory ever remember a T2 car running smaller than a 285......though they are certainly free to run smaller.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

When I was looking into running SCCA T2, each car has a max tire size. The 350Z is limited to a 245 front and 275 rear if I remember correctly.

Just got home from Sebring, and improved my best time from a 2:34.2 down to a 2:32.0. Though I cant tell if any of the improvement was from the tire since my ABS was disabled due to a bad wheel sensor I think. In the first session, I locked them up 3 times and was having horrible laps. Later in the day I was finally able to adjust my driving and relearn threshold braking. I learned more than I have ever learned on how to drive a race car today by not having the ABS. Even though we are going to fix the issue, I do believe that I will pull the fuse on it for racing in the dry, and leave it on for in the rain. Should have some video put together soon. Next event is in 2 weeks at PBIR with Hooked in driving for some more practice there in prep for my rookie race in early September.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Here is a video from HMS from last weekend. It was with PCA, horrible club and horrible drivers. Their advanced group was equivalent to the beginner group with NASA. Anyway, got some good laps in chasing a supercharged Lotus Elise. At the 4:00 minute mark, it gets good when Mr. Race Licensed BMW guy runs out of talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5pQMHaJk8
Old 07-31-2010, 03:20 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

When I was looking into running SCCA T2, each car has a max tire size. The 350Z is limited to a 245 front and 275 rear if I remember correctly.

Just got home from Sebring, and improved my best time from a 2:34.2 down to a 2:32.0. Though I cant tell if any of the improvement was from the tire since my ABS was disabled due to a bad wheel sensor I think. In the first session, I locked them up 3 times and was having horrible laps. Later in the day I was finally able to adjust my driving and relearn threshold braking. I learned more than I have ever learned on how to drive a race car today by not having the ABS. Even though we are going to fix the issue, I do believe that I will pull the fuse on it for racing in the dry, and leave it on for in the rain. Should have some video put together soon. Next event is in 2 weeks at PBIR with Hooked in driving for some more practice there in prep for my rookie race in early September.
I'm having a similar issue with my abs "knockback" on my car right now......no bueno.

T2 is limited to 285mm (10" wide wheel), and most of the teams I am familiar with run 285 A6 squared. For them to meet the T3 requirements we are limited to 245's. Most of the guys who initially transitioned to T3 in hopes of being in the national hunt have converted back, and come to accept that the 350z is a mid pack or worse t2 car at RA. The added weight, small restricter, and small tires for T3 made them far less competitive in T3 than T2.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Its a shame that they are competitive, thats what I love about NASA, you arent restricted in most classes to certain modifications.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a shame that they are competitive, thats what I love about NASA, you arent restricted in most classes to certain modifications.

I started in SCCA and have been there for years, first year in NASA and I have to say I enjoy in alot better
Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Heading to PBIR tomorrow for some practice with HOD...will post up details on how it went as well as some video.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:02 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Well not the best day at the track. Only 15 cars showed up which was good, but only ran two sessions before the rain came and I didnt feel like swapping the hoosiers out for rain tires. In the 2nd session, lost all brake heading into turn 10 at 135mph. It was fresh motul so I couldnt believe I boiled it already, but upon coming into the paddock to inspect the front brakes, only the left front was smoking. We havent rebuilt these calipers in 8 months or so and they have seen alot abuse so might be a bad seal causing the pad to stick. No video unfortunately, but it would of been boring to watch.

The best part of the day was getting my feet wet instructing. I have been interested in instructing for the clubs I run with because of the free track time you can get as well as sharing my knowledge with people new to the sport. Due to the low car count, they were short on instructors so they asked me to take two students that were co driving a 1996 BMW M3. I later found out when it was time to take them out that it was a father/son and the kid was new to driving all together. I took the dad out first, no problems, got around pretty well. Took the son out, and he told me that he had only driven a manual one time in his life. I knew I was in trouble when we hit the back straight and he shifted from 3rd to 2nd!!! I managed to get him around at just above a snails pace. I spoke with the dad afterward and he told him that he really didnt have the core driving skills required and shouldnt be learning to drive a manual on a race track. He understood completely which was good. The rest of the sessions were in the wet so I took the father out two more times and got him faster and faster. Pretty positive experience for me, and I think I taught them something meaningful, at least the father. After some instructor training, I will start instructing on a regular basis.

Heading to HMS in two weeks for some practice, then racing wheel to wheel in my first rookie race the weekend after that.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 08-16-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Got some good practice in this past weekend at HMS. PBIR is on deck for this weekend for my first wheel to wheel race, very excited! Videos and update to come!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

ds like your doing well man. Congrats on everything. I see Mario is following the steps? I bought my old track back so I am now deff. going to get my feet wet with the roadcourse. I am afraid... I might get hooked hahaha

Want to teach

Chris
Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Yep Mario switched from Greddy TT to a built na for track reliability and future race preparation. He hasnt driven in over a year, so he better get back out there soon. I think he was planning to run next month at Sebring with NASA.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

great thread!

are you planning aero mods next?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry man, I'm being lazy (thread search)... But how competetive is the Z in PTA form? Would you expect mid, rear, front running form (car not driver)?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Its probably a mid pack car, though with NASA, you never know as rules change every year. The Z does best in PTB in my opinion since the wt/hp ratio of 10.25 keeps the boosted guys from getting away with too much power.

Aero is on the list end of year, looking at the Fulcrum Aeroworks products, there is a Z on here that runs them, forget his handle.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Well I had a FANTASTIC first race. Only 8 cars started, though there were 11 in qualifying. I qualifed 4th overall, but the 3rd position guy dropped out so I was inside, row 2. Got a good start, and drove for the longest 30 minutes of my life. Did well, though I was the only car in my class but held off a nice M3 BMW that qualified a second behind me. I got some video but left the camera in the trailer so Ill upload it to youtube tomorrow night.

As far as the race, it was the biggest thrill I have ever experienced. Every lap took every ounce of energy I had and the wonderful Florida heat was exhausting. Seeing that white flag come out was so relieving because not only was I getting tired, the tires were getting greasy, and the clutch was starting to overheat. Tomorrow is a 40 minute race so I am going to have last another 7 laps or so.

Prior to this race, my best time on this track was a 1:31.4 on new Hoosier R6s. Today during the race, I pulled out a 1:31.6 on Hoosiers that are about 95% worn out. The adrenaline of out running the BMW behind me just really pushed me to drive as hard as I could, though tomorrow I will have to pace myself a bit to save not only my energy but the car as well. I have no doubt that the car as it sits with new sticker Hoosiers could pull out a 1:29.XX and even lower with the aero mods it desperately needs. Stay tuned for tomorrows report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today went great as well. Ran a similar pace to yesterday, but the guy I held off yesterday qualified on newer tires so he started the race ahead of me. Got a good start, and took it back from him into turn 1. He wasnt in my class but we had a friendly race against each other and we both improved our times and lines from it. Here is some video from yesterdays start, part 2 is coming. Havent gotten around to editing today's video. Part 1 is kinda boring because the race field only had 10 cars in it so its traffic free in front of me for most of it, but the guy who was running with me pretty well was a few cars length back for the whole race. Today's race was better because they threw in 9 spec miatas which gave me some experience setting up passes.

Sat. Race Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwfjb0JBcrs

Sat. Race Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWuBKrqNQY

Sun. Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdZ9_bRddI
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM
tuko316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car sounds great. What are you revving it out to?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Originally Posted by tuko316
Car sounds great. What are you revving it out to?
To the factory limit of 7k. We have a haltech but until we flash the ECU, we are stuck at 7k. It is on the short list of things to do, because I run out of gear in a few places at the tracks we run at so another 300-400 RPM would help. The motor is built to over 8k, though I wouldnt make a habit of taking it past 7500.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
tuko316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What valvetrain are you using? What are the specs on the gtm cams?

I'm doing a custon exhaust. Didn't realize until now I ordered the same hks mufflers you have.

Quick Reply: My NASA Racecar NA Build