Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

My NASA Racecar NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuko316
What valvetrain are you using? What are the specs on the gtm cams?

I'm doing a custon exhaust. Didn't realize until now I ordered the same hks mufflers you have.
Its been a while since we put it all together but they are JWT S7 cams with their springs/shims/etc. We are running ferrera standard size valves.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Well getting close to our weekend at Sebring the first weekend of October. I had another entry in PTA with me but he had to cancel so looks like I may be by myself again in racing. I also registered for time trials for some more seat time but those guys run autocross hoosiers/drive better than me so I dont have much of a shot at winning, should be on the podium though.

Car has been good, though some things we are trying to get done for this event are a new Clutchmasters twin disc to help with the clutch overheating/sticking, and a new tranny as I have killed the 5th gear syncho..again lol. Thankfully, Japtrix has 4-5 CD009(I think) laying on the shelf so we will put one in. We have also been in talks with Technosquare about reflashing the ECU to get a bit more RPM out of the car so I can stop "coasting" into corners where upshifting isnt possible. Since we dont need any of the features other than the rev limit (and maybe speed limit I guess), we are trying to get a special price or something. Wont have that for Sebring unfortunately. As always, video to come!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many cars run in ST2? If there aren't any cars in PTA you might as well jump up to ST2 to have someone to race with and fill the class for those competing for contingency(unless of course you're going for season points).

Did you ever post up your Dynojet dyno sheet?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Nope, no ST2 here either. I am looking to become the PT director here so I can start trying to build the series up. The car made 290 on a dynojet with the cosworth, pretty low IMO, havent gotten around to getting it redone since im unlikely to get protested by myself lol. I am gonna try a different dyno because I think that one was reading a bit low. Though on the other hand, the motor has 16 months on it, over 35 track days on it so it could be wearing down a bit, though the compression last month all checked in near perfect. I plan on freshening it up for next season before National Championships.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 09-23-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Nope, no ST2 here either. I am looking to become the PT director here so I can start trying to build the series up. The car made 290 on a dynojet with the cosworth, pretty low IMO, havent gotten around to getting it redone since im unlikely to get protested by myself lol. I am gonna try a different dyno because I think that one was reading a bit low. Though on the other hand, the motor has 16 months on it, over 35 track days on it so it could be wearing down a bit, though the compression last month all checked in near perfect. I plan on freshening it up for next season before National Championships.
The Cosworth is worthless. I have yet to see a build where it actually made power, a Mrev2+ spacer is a better option.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Originally Posted by KA24DE
The Cosworth is worthless. I have yet to see a build where it actually made power, a Mrev2+ spacer is a better option.
Yep, there was a guy at the shop that insisted on putting on his built tt z after we told him it doesnt flow as good as stock with a spacer. Lost 30+ whp at the same level of boost.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
mario23

Excuse me director....give me a check ride!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Well arrived at Sebring, unloaded the car in paddock, and checked in. Videos and updates from tomorrows races and time trials to come.

Joseph
Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Well it was a great event! Had a few guys from the shop come out and support the car and made for an entertaining Fri/Sat night lol.

Saturday, car ran well, finished 2nd of 3 entries in Time Trials and had a clean race in w2w. I was the only car in my race class but ended up playing around with a few guys that were about my pace. Video is a bit short, but for some reason, my mount would come lose and the camera would tilt up a bit and get nothing but sunlight glare. The same thing happened on the Sunday race.

As far as the race on Saturday, the timing system was down so our qualifying times were not logged. So they gridded us in order on the entry list so somehow I ended up in the back row for the pace lap. Passed 5 cars on the start and picked off a few more shortly after. Best time of the day was a 2:31.9

In the Sunday race, qualified in P4, and made for a crazy start heading into turn 1 four cars wide! Ran with the same guys as Saturday and put down a 2:31.7. The bad news about this race was the death of my transmission, I think. As I took the white flag for the final lap, tranny had enough. As I came through turn 7, I was locked out of 4th gear, but was able to make the upshift after forcing it. As I came out of turn 14, heading into the braking zone for 15, I was locked out from downshifting from 5th to 4th to 3rd. At this point with all the traffic behind me, I drove it off into a runoff away since I had issues. Here is the best part, as I coasting off into the runoff away with the car in neutral...as I release the clutch, the car goes into gear!! I eventually stalled the car. Puzzled as to what the hell I broke, I got the car restarted, slammed it into 1st, eventually 2nd, and limped it back into the paddock. Wont know for a few weeks when it goes to shop for prep for the November event what damage I did, but thankfully we have a few gearboxes at the shop to swap in. Here is the video from Saturdays race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKzYzEjOJN8
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thx for the update, always love reading about your car.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Blooster

That was a fun video, Speed Racer! I cheered when you finally passed that yellow vert

Too bad about the tranny but congratZ on what sounds like a great event!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
tuko316

What are the plans for the tranny? Replace it with another factory or get a built one?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Wasnt aware of any built trannys except for the quaife sequential and the OS Giken short ratio gear set...factory will cost me practically nothing so probably stock.

We also have to add some hood pins. Corner workers were concerned that my hood is slightly elevated though it was latched.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 10-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM
mario23

Great job as always brother.
Your really tearing up the tracks man!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Thanks for the kind words guys! Coming up on 3 weeks before we head to HMS for some w2w racing. I have been made the NASA Florida Performance Touring Race director so now I am responsible for those cars. Should be great once I get the car counts up!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Sooner350

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Here is a video from HMS from last weekend. It was with PCA, horrible club and horrible drivers. Their advanced group was equivalent to the beginner group with NASA. Anyway, got some good laps in chasing a supercharged Lotus Elise. At the 4:00 minute mark, it gets good when Mr. Race Licensed BMW guy runs out of talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5pQMHaJk8
I would've slapped that BMW driver in the paddock afterwards. You obviously had more power, and higher corner speeds. Braking looked about even, but this is HPDE, so not much passing there.

To make matters worse. He was way overdriving the car. Trying to brake late and keep you behind is not a safe way of doing things, especially when the tail is getting loose at multiple corners.

Besides the idiots running out there, looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish I could shed a few lbs. from my Z and my gut so I could keep up. I'd probably need full bolt ons on my HR too.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

That event was a while ago...I have been racing w2w now since September and wow is it awesome. Heading to PBIR next weekend with NASA for the season finale.

I will post up later the details from the November event, where I got hit my an idiot in a Honda that I was lapping in the race. Car came out of the body shop Wednesday.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Here was the link to the videos from the past November NASA event:

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...being-hit.html
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Here is a link to this past weekend's race coverage

https://my350z.com/forum/editpost.ph...post&p=8819382

The 2010 season is over and the great thing about racing in Florida, is that the 2011 is only 4 weeks away! The Z will be getting her OS Giken LSD for Christmas this year. After the season opener in 4 weeks, she will be getting her aero package from Fulcrum Aeroworks.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 12-07-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 AM
sfarrah

So you are able to work your points to get the splitter and rear wing and still stay in PTA? You won't be disappointed with the Fulcrum products! I just sent my 300ZX TT up to them for some aero for it too.

Quick Reply: My NASA Racecar NA Build