Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Should i get the transgo shift kit for AT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
4drmadness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i get the transgo shift kit for AT

The mods i have are
: 04 G35 Sedan, JWT Pop Charger, Ztube, SBD Basic Grounding Wire kit, Engine Damper Kit, Stillen Gen 2, 05 350z Suspension, Eibach sway bars, spl rear endlinks, KP windows up module, DC Ceramic headers, Kinetix HFC/non foulers, oem clear corners, hawks hps pads, debadge, rhd battery cover,UR Crank Pulley, Aramid Gasket, Coolant bypass mod , MD 5/16 spacer, Design Chaos tb spacer, GT Spec front tie bar, venom oil catch can, g37 coupe thermostat, ngk copper plugs, nismo radiator cap, Osiris/ HB Speed, richie v2 strut bar.

I am installing a 6mt pumpkin on my car today.

After this project, im thinking of getting the transgo-shift from gtm for $250.

Anyone wanna chime in on how they like theirs, and if its worth it for a NA car.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It will make your shifts alot faster and crisper. So........do you want faster shifting or not!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:58 PM
4drmadness

hell yea, i want faster shifting. Do you think it will cut down some time in the 1/4th due to the shift lag the AT has
Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
4drmadness

do u think i should get the trans cooler with the transgo kit?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 AM
irax

To extend the life on a auto trans you DEFFINATLY want to add a cooler. How big is the one that comes with the kit? is the cooler thermostatic? If not you would definitely want to add a thermostatic liquid switch so that way the transmission will warm up and stay at the correct operating temperatures.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Looks Fast

The transgo kit is my favorite mod, it should be a must if you have a AT. And unless you go FI, I don't think you need a tranny cooler; but that is my opinion.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
tiguy99

I have a 5AT G coupe right now. For FI, what's the advantage of getting the transgo 250.00 kit over a more expensive valve body upgrade?

Can I get away with the transgo kit and a tranny cooler for a 400whp range tune? (Stock block and tranny)

My driving style is moderate/non rough and I drive my coupe like 1-2x a week that's it.

FI (for me) will = a faster coupe for scooting around town and on the highway and the ability to punch it when absolutely necessary

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=tiguy99;7415181]I have a 5AT G coupe right now. For FI, what's the advantage of getting the transgo 250.00 kit over a more expensive valve body upgrade?]

A transgo kit is a valve body upgrade, it's just the parts. By the time you have someone install it you will have spent a grand
Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 PM
k6750gsxr

All I have to say is have a respected shop install it for u. Do not go cheap !
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 AM
fabre80

Its got to be one of the best mods for an A/t tranny.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a read..

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/65924-5at-automatic-transmission-owners-with-forced-induction-please-read.html

alot of info about the valve body upgrade including pros and cons.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Andrew Butler

Originally Posted by 4drmadness
The mods i have are
: 04 G35 Sedan, JWT Pop Charger, Ztube, SBD Basic Grounding Wire kit, Engine Damper Kit, Stillen Gen 2, 05 350z Suspension, Eibach sway bars, spl rear endlinks, KP windows up module, DC Ceramic headers, Kinetix HFC/non foulers, oem clear corners, hawks hps pads, debadge, rhd battery cover,UR Crank Pulley, Aramid Gasket, Coolant bypass mod , MD 5/16 spacer, Design Chaos tb spacer, GT Spec front tie bar, venom oil catch can, g37 coupe thermostat, ngk copper plugs, nismo radiator cap, Osiris/ HB Speed, richie v2 strut bar.

I am installing a 6mt pumpkin on my car today.

After this project, im thinking of getting the transgo-shift from gtm for $250.

Anyone wanna chime in on how they like theirs, and if its worth it for a NA car.

Thanks
where did you go to order the kit? I cant find it anywhere.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Butler
where did you go to order the kit? I cant find it anywhere.

What's up, Andrew.

4drmadness hasn't logged in in over 4 years, so you might be waiting a bit. I'm amazed that you can't find it anywhere..

I got mine off of EBay.. That's right, EBay. And yeahhh I know some people will disagree about buying a precision part like that off of EBay, but I knew what I was looking for and I've done a lot of business with the seller before. So that was that. As far as installation, It's NOT hard. The 'hardest' part is just trying to ease that fluid soaked valve body outta' the transmission housing and disconnecting those TCM wires on the top before you can actually ease it down completely. The rest was actually pretty fun imo.. but I was told I'm crazy, so, judge for yourself.

- Here's a link as of today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Repr...lVBufz&vxp=mtr

Matt
Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 AM
Andrew Butler

Default What could the problem be

Was going from clovis to Albuquerque, about a 3 and a half hour drive. Was driving it kinda hard but was still being kinda easy on it, car starts smoking and i pull over, my dad takes a look and theres oil leaking all over the drivers side underneath the car, he checked the dip stick and he said there was absolutely no oil left in the engine. We think its a head gasket that blew, that wasnt the case, we checked again to make sure it was empty and then we put in 1qt of oil at a time checking for leaks until we hit 5qts. We continued to Albuquerque while stopping every 20-30miles, before we got there we checked it again and it seemed like it lost a lil more oil so we did 1 more qt. Shoulda been 5qts maybe 6 at most. Drop it off at the place that was doing the work and asked them to check it over. Apparently the engine was 3qts over full, it was spewing out the dipstick and the oil filter cap when he checked it. He said right now my engine is completely ****ed but he's not sure how bad. He said it could be some spun bearings or something, the camshafts could be fked, or the entire engine is just useless. The engine cant just be useless. When we stopped we let it cool down and refilled the oil and continued on with zero problems, no knocking, no more smoke, and the engine didnt seize. Hoping someone here has some answers
Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Was going from clovis to Albuquerque, about a 3 and a half hour drive. Was driving it kinda hard but was still being kinda easy on it, car starts smoking and i pull over, my dad takes a look and theres oil leaking all over the drivers side underneath the car, he checked the dip stick and he said there was absolutely no oil left in the engine. We think its a head gasket that blew, that wasnt the case, we checked again to make sure it was empty and then we put in 1qt of oil at a time checking for leaks until we hit 5qts. We continued to Albuquerque while stopping every 20-30miles, before we got there we checked it again and it seemed like it lost a lil more oil so we did 1 more qt. Shoulda been 5qts maybe 6 at most. Drop it off at the place that was doing the work and asked them to check it over. Apparently the engine was 3qts over full, it was spewing out the dipstick and the oil filter cap when he checked it. He said right now my engine is completely ****ed but he's not sure how bad. He said it could be some spun bearings or something, the camshafts could be fked, or the entire engine is just useless. The engine cant just be useless. When we stopped we let it cool down and refilled the oil and continued on with zero problems, no knocking, no more smoke, and the engine didnt seize. Hoping someone here has some answers
why did you post this here? stick to your original thread and do not post multiple on the same dang thing
Old 06-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Andrew Butler

Originally Posted by marques1
It will make your shifts alot faster and crisper. So........do you want faster shifting or not!
how reliable is it? I brought my Z to a shop with the Transgo and their nissan technician said he advises against installing it because he's seen it blow peoples transmissions and said i should get the stillen. Any input would be great
Old 06-02-2017, 08:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

dont you think you should worry about your motor first? not mention, marques has not logged in for 8 months
Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Andrew Butler

Originally Posted by travlee
dont you think you should worry about your motor first? not mention, marques has not logged in for 8 months
the shop called and said nothing was wrong. Getting my car tomorrow and going somewhere else who knows what they are doing
Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Andrew Butler

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
What's up, Andrew.

4drmadness hasn't logged in in over 4 years, so you might be waiting a bit. I'm amazed that you can't find it anywhere..

I got mine off of EBay.. That's right, EBay. And yeahhh I know some people will disagree about buying a precision part like that off of EBay, but I knew what I was looking for and I've done a lot of business with the seller before. So that was that. As far as installation, It's NOT hard. The 'hardest' part is just trying to ease that fluid soaked valve body outta' the transmission housing and disconnecting those TCM wires on the top before you can actually ease it down completely. The rest was actually pretty fun imo.. but I was told I'm crazy, so, judge for yourself.

- Here's a link as of today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Repr...lVBufz&vxp=mtr

Matt
how reliable is it? Brought my car to a shop to have it installed and their nissan tech advised against it cuz itll blow my transmission.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know how to address this other than saying that you need to get the car in the air so you can get under it while it's running and the oil is topped off so you can see exactly where the leak is coming from. Do a compression check too before you throw parts at it. You're crank and rod bearings are probably fine. I'd be worried about your cams, lifters, and valves.

Quick Reply: Should i get the transgo shift kit for AT