Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

FWD VQ35 Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
StillenGle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD VQ35 Block

I Posted this on Maxima.org as well and though maybe you guys could help out as well.

Normally I try not to make threads but, I kinda got the itch for this one.

I realize there's not alot of aftermarket surpport for the FWD Block, and I was wondering what can be used to achieve well at least 4-500 HP safely.

Is there anything that can be Used from the HR motor, Besides the Retainers, Springs, etc or is that basically it, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I realize that these cars can potentially see 12-13"s fairly easy. I am sure its ridiculously hard to swap a 350z ECM, thats probably impossible due to it being RWD correct! I remember reading something that someone Used a TurboXS ECM tuner and got the Base Map 350z If I read that correctly.

It be nice to have a nice sleeper that could beat alot of cars out there, and not have to go out and Buy a 350z

I have contacted a few places and asked if they do built motors for the FWD Block, I have only heard back from one of them which is Z1 Motorsports, they told me they have no plans to surpport that platform, and that they only do
Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
irax

swapping ecu has nothing to do with it being fwd and rwd
but it has to do the with the wiring.
you can take your maxima to nissan and ask that they put the 350z tuning on that ecu.
the maxima vq35de blocks are exactly the same with 03/04 350z blocks, anything that can interchange on those can interchange on the maximas 99% of the time. an aftermarket ecu doesn't care what wheel drives the motor. Hell you can practically make the maxima block into a baby HR by using parts from the rev up, and high comp pistons and a lightend crank, using rev up heads cams and timing etc.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
StillenGle

Originally Posted by irax
swapping ecu has nothing to do with it being fwd and rwd
but it has to do the with the wiring.
you can take your maxima to nissan and ask that they put the 350z tuning on that ecu.
the maxima vq35de blocks are exactly the same with 03/04 350z blocks, anything that can interchange on those can interchange on the maximas 99% of the time. an aftermarket ecu doesn't care what wheel drives the motor. Hell you can practically make the maxima block into a baby HR by using parts from the rev up, and high comp pistons and a lightend crank, using rev up heads cams and timing etc.
would my car throw codes from that, would that give me more hp etc?

Forged makes a stroker kit would that work for the maxima or no.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:36 PM
StillenGle

no one else has any ideas.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
irax

Originally Posted by StillenGle
would my car throw codes from that, would that give me more hp etc?

Forged makes a stroker kit would that work for the maxima or no.
no your car would not throw codes.

like i said maxima blocks are like 03-04 z blocks. any internals that is for the z will work on the maxima, that means cams, cranks, pistons, rods.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 AM
tuko316

i can see why you dont make threads.

any internals that fit a vq35de will fit the vq35de in your fwd car. the only difference is the location of the motor mounts. you really have a lot to learn before you mod this engine.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Ok, well first of all the blocks are not the same. There are completely different moldings on the outside of the block. For example, all the moldings for the motor mounts and some other parts are completely different. The inside of the block is the same. For instance, you can use a BC stroker kit in there. We have a 4.2 liter Altima sitting right here with a single turbo on it.

Good luck with your build and let us know if you need anything.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 AM
irax

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
Ok, well first of all the blocks are not the same. There are completely different moldings on the outside of the block. For example, all the moldings for the motor mounts and some other parts are completely different. The inside of the block is the same. For instance, you can use a BC stroker kit in there. We have a 4.2 liter Altima sitting right here with a single turbo on it.

the only real difference in the Maxima VQ35DE and the 03/04 350z is yes the moldings on the outside, and the belt system, but other than that they are the same. Same cranks, same con rods, same camshafts, same valves, same valve springs, same timing equipment. everything is the same. except for 0.5 on the compression ratio. as far as the short block with heads and timing goes anyways.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
StillenGle

thanks guys, so anything compatible with the 350z will work with the maxima, I am assuming thats the same way with the altima, I heard most of the HR components are swapable as well, only real issue is the HR head gaskets which is a small issue, something with the coolant hole, how it has to be slight shaved or bored more can't remember exactly and that should make the gaskets fit, their alot thicker as well. I am on the maxima.org so I talk on their alot as well, and pay more attention as well.

the maxima use's the Long block correct?

Last edited by StillenGle; 05-08-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
NiZMo1o1

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered

any more specs of the Altima ?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
StillenGle

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
any more specs of the Altima ?
I recently PM'ed him about it, didn't respond. hopefully he will to the thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
StillenGle

If I just added the Stroker Kit. Would a Meth Kit make a difference or should I wait til I am boosted as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 AM
StillenGle

Originally Posted by StillenGle
If I just added the Stroker Kit. Would a Meth Kit make a difference or should I wait til I am boosted as well.
The heads will work as well right? I am considering the Brain Crower Heads, or would it be worth it to machine them. he also makes a spring and Valve Spring set, Just debating if I should get the Brian Crower Valve Spring set and Intake and Exhaust Valve's or just get HR Valve Springs and Retainer sleeves.

Would the Nismo Oil Pump be beneficial or should I use the HR one?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MAximas have HR motors? starting in what year?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
StillenGle

Originally Posted by QuadCam
MAximas have HR motors? starting in what year?
No, I never said that! There are components that are swapable to a DE from an HR, Valve Springs, Oil Pump, Cams Head Gaskets, and some other stuff.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
StillenGle

anyone else wanna chime in? I am looking for at least 500HP

Wiesco Pistons 8:8:1
Tomei Rods
Costworth Bearings
JWT S1 Cams and Valves or I could go with the GTM Turbo Cams.

I have though about Heads but I am not sure yet. I plan to Run at least 16-17 PSI on the turbo I am considering getting. The problem is alot of Maxima guys have trouble getting traction, so suspension work will be needed. Hopefully Tein Coilovers and what not will help that along with sway bars and endlinks etc.

Ill probably end up getting slicks as well. If you don't agree with the suspension please feel free to post what you think would be best to get the maximum traction out of this car.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
eric02specv

Solid mounts and slicks would be a good start.

A boosted FWD VQ will have a hell of a time getting traction.

You can make all the whp you want...but if you can't put it to the ground, it's pointless.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
eric02specv

Oh and if your looking for a track monster consider the C8 cams instead of the S1's.

Or even the C2's over the S1's.

Here's JWT's cam spec sheet. It's for rev up and non rev up engines.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf
Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
red on black

if i were you i wouldnt do much to the heads i dont think its nescesary for 4-500hp just have them cleaned and put stonger valves, retainers,springs etc. sharif at forged told me the vq35 heads were well built from factory and could let you handle 4-500hp easily. just do that and biuld the bottom end a little like have the crank polished balanced and put race bearings a set of eagle rods and some arias pistons or someting of the sort. youll need other support like head gaskets and studs etc. then trow on a nice turbo kit youll be amazed of the end results...