Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Tomei Header and Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009 | 08:03 AM
gabe3d

Just got back to the US and looks like things are getting more serious. Here is a list of the parts in order at which air flows.

-nismo high compression cylinder head spec2
-nismo vtc pulley
-tomei 280/272 cams
-nismo complete valvetrain with ti valves
-arp l19 headstuds
-cosworth 100mm headgasket
-darton 100mm MID sleeves
-brian crower stroker kit
-acl race bearings
-nismo oil pump
-arp main studs
-ati dampener crank pulley
-sard fuel pump (thanks adam)

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-05-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2009 | 09:31 AM
allmotorsedan

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Just got back to the US and looks like things are getting more serious. Here is a list of the parts in order at which air flows.

-nismo high compression cylinder head spec2
-nismo vtc pulley
-tomei 280/272 cams
-nismo complete valvetrain with ti valves
-arp l19 headstuds
-cosworth 100mm headgasket
-darton 100mm MID sleeves
-brian crower stroker kit
-acl race bearings
-nismo oil pump
-arp main studs
-ati dampener crank pulley
-sard fuel pump (thanks adam)
I see you are going big with the 4.15L kit!! That's awesome!!
Old 09-05-2009 | 09:44 AM
gabe3d

Yeah it has been a hard debate on whether I should go with 100mm bore. If you look at all the vqs and vks, as well as the gtr motor, none of them have anything nearly that large, must be a reason.

Two reasons I'm still thinking of going that large. I don't want to leave anything out on the table where later on I would say to myself coulda woulda shoulda. The only concern I really have is whether or not with those huge pistons high rpms (7k and up) can be sustained with no issues. The other is that I can't seem to find a machinist around here that can hone and bore with a tq plate. Prolly won't matter too much but it's giving me another reason to buy more...
Old 09-05-2009 | 10:48 AM
allmotorsedan

True... I honesty think you wont be making power past 8k rpm anyway. Just the nature of the VQ. I've seen a vid and dyno of a 4.15L coupe making 377whp and 347wtq all under 7000rpm. Peak hpower was at 6900rpm and peak torque around 4300rpm. I don't know what cams it had... But I'm sure that thing is a BEAST!!!
Old 09-05-2009 | 11:10 AM
gabe3d

I doubt that I will make power pass 7k but I do want to rev pass my peak hp to be in a better rpm range in the next gear. Also with the FD, it would be nice to have a little more rpm.

Those are awesome numbers. Do you know what kind of fuel. We have a local guy that put down 330/337. Never seen a vq have more tq then hp. Do you still have the vid?
Old 09-05-2009 | 12:09 PM
allmotorsedan

I doubt that I will make power pass 7k but I do want to rev pass my peak hp to be in a better rpm range in the next gear. Also with the FD, it would be nice to have a little more rpm.

Those are awesome numbers. Do you know what kind of fuel. We have a local guy that put down 330/337. Never seen a vq have more tq then hp. Do you still have the vid?
The vid is on www.jeimportperformance.com. The owners name is James, he told me its a BC 4.15L and BC cams(didn't specify), oem MAF, oem TB and 5/16gasket. Custom made longtubes and 2.5in collector and exhaust(all made by him). All tuned with Greddy emanage!! I think 11.5CR on pump gas.

He is nice and very helpful. Located in Maryland.
Old 09-05-2009 | 02:33 PM
gabe3d

Good site with some neat pictures on the build. Looking at the dynos carefully you can see that those are SAE flywheel hp and tq, so the numbers come out to be not so amazing. Also given that he is tuning with the Greddy he doesn't have control over VTC, so another area where he might gain some power. Definitely, the gains over his baseline are phenomenal, it's a whole vertical shift in power range.

In the dyno sheet he has some before and after plots. I wonder what kind of upgrades he had on the car prior to this work, do you know?
Old 09-05-2009 | 03:28 PM
allmotorsedan

I don't know what the SAE corrected numbers mean or the difference. I honestly don't remember what was done prior(gotta check my emails again) but I do know he gained 101whp and 98wtq. I think the coupe had a couple bolt-ons already then built it because of a blown motor.

Either way, I think its still pretty good gains and the powerband is flat and smooth...
Old 09-05-2009 | 04:05 PM
gabe3d

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking on his numbers, his gains like i said are phenomenal and if i get those kind of gains, I'd be more then exhilirated. The amount of area under the curve is night and day in his dynosheet. It's just so hard basing any conversation on dyno peak numbers since every dynos are different. But gains never lie, granted that the conditions were not altered/changed too much. Seeig these gais results, actually makes me want to do this more. When you look at IvoryGT's car the gains overstock to the non-ITB setup, yielded very mediocre gains.

That's even more amazing that he gained on top of bolt-ons. Looking at the pic of the assembled block, it actually has shortie headers, he must have installed the long tube afterward and gained some power there. Let us know if you have any more info. Thanks again for the link.
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:21 PM
allmotorsedan

I just read 7 pages of ivorygt's na build... He gained 85whp with the build and itbs. And was revving to 8250rpm. His car is very impressive. However, didn't have a torque reading...

Both builds are very similar, but do not know what cams are on the JE coupe. James said there was extensive porting of the up+lo plenum and manifold, with full P+P and 5 angle valvejob and all of it port- matched.

I believe the way you are going, you are definately gonna hit at least 315whp+. Just upping the CR will yield roughly 4% more power every 1 point, that and you are going to increase the disp roughly 19%. you should see huge gains with new set-up

Have you done any 1/4mi runs?
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:57 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
I just read 7 pages of ivorygt's na build... He gained 85whp with the build and itbs. And was revving to 8250rpm. His car is very impressive. However, didn't have a torque reading...

Both builds are very similar, but do not know what cams are on the JE coupe. James said there was extensive porting of the up+lo plenum and manifold, with full P+P and 5 angle valvejob and all of it port- matched.

I believe the way you are going, you are definately gonna hit at least 315whp+. Just upping the CR will yield roughly 4% more power every 1 point, that and you are going to increase the disp roughly 19%. you should see huge gains with new set-up

Have you done any 1/4mi runs?
Dissecting the thread and the dyno from Ivory here is what i get from it.

210whp: stock
260whp: stroker 4.1L, 272 cams, headers, tp, exhaust, spacer, haltech
300whp: stroker 4.1L, 272 cams, headers, tp, exhaust, ITB, haltech

If for the 260whp run i take out the stroker, the car can easily make 240whp, attributing only 20whp to the stroker. You can see where my disappointment comes from. But like you've noticed, the Torque, should be quite different.

I haven't been to the drag or track with this car yet. Ever since I started upgrading it, I've only put less then 2k miles on it and most of it was cruising. The other time, i've spent it away from the US or the car was in the shop. There is a Thunderhill track day coming up at the end of this month and hopefully I can make it.

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-05-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2009 | 08:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Good site with some neat pictures on the build. Looking at the dynos carefully you can see that those are SAE flywheel hp and tq, so the numbers come out to be not so amazing.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-D...3/article.html
Old 09-05-2009 | 09:21 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
What are you saying?

If I'm not mistaken, the ones shown in the dyno are the ones calculated to be at the flywheel and not at the hub.
Old 09-06-2009 | 06:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

dynapaks always say flywheel, it's just an anomoly in their displays. It's just the default display for the chart as I recall. The actual reading depends on the total correction factor used. If they used the standard 1:1, then it's displaying the net power/torque at the hubs. Would have to ask the dyno operator how it's done

you can read all about these dyno's in various places. This link has some good info too

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/articles/dynapack.htm

again though, the #'s are meaningless, it's all about before and after

I've done tuning on them before, they work great IMHO

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-06-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2009 | 12:47 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
dynapaks always say flywheel, it's just an anomoly in their displays. It's just the default display for the chart as I recall. The actual reading depends on the total correction factor used. If they used the standard 1:1, then it's displaying the net power/torque at the hubs. Would have to ask the dyno operator how it's done

you can read all about these dyno's in various places. This link has some good info too

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/articles/dynapack.htm

again though, the #'s are meaningless, it's all about before and after

I've done tuning on them before, they work great IMHO
https://my350z.com/forum/7142248-post57.html

Take a look at this, same dyno run but just a setting on the dynapack to either display flywheel or hub numbers, but you are right that it depends on the TCF used. The thing that concerns me about the dynapack is the huge variation in number that can occur based on what the operator sets (not that others don't have any operator inputs). I just keep thinking about the Church Automotive dynapack that gives out so much different results for similar cars with similar mods.

I don't disagree with you at all that the dynapack is a good tool and it's more about the before and after. The only thing about the before and after dyno on that stroked G35 is the unknown state of the car at before.

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-06-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2009 | 07:44 PM
allmotorsedan

Gabe, did you get your FD and lsd installed yet? Are you going to retune your lower rpm range or you going to wait until the motor is built and the cosworth intake on?
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:17 PM
gabe3d

Well, long story...

So my car was in the shop for the two weeks I was in Japan, but they had problems getting the right parts to set the pinion to stock spec, so it just got done last Friday. I went there today to pickup the car and when I was about to go home I remembered that I needed to pickup my stock parts. To my surprise.....one of the parts I picked up was my brand new SPL bushings that they forgot to install. After asking them, the tech said that it wasn't on the work order, but anyways it should be done by tomorrow.

Hopefully I'm going to be able to install the intake parts this weeks and get a retune at the same time. I"ll let you know and post the results up when it's done.

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-08-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:23 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

So you're installing the cosworth, intake tube, and 3" maf for the next round? Or is there more?
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:35 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
So you're installing the cosworth, intake tube, and 3" maf for the next round? Or is there more?
For now, just those since the other parts is going to take sometime to get in the parts for my engine build. This would be something fun to do and for sure be more useful for others to see what this new intake system can do, since once I put the engine together the results is going to be too far off from a normal NA.
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:37 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Are you still going to use the stock tb or are you using a ported one?

Quick Reply: Tomei Header and Cam install