Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
WAIT

sorry for being a bit OT, but you did post the pics lol

do you know what color that 40th ann. 370z is? I really like it
Not sure on the color name, but it's purple/brownish metallic. Here are some better pics.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:04 AM
allmotorsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Hopefully your car puts down more than these guys he has head work and everything on a 4.15. I think his mod list is on their website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioKZrRTz9E
That coupe had a stock non-ported TB and stock MAF housing with LT headers 2.5in all the way out. Extensive port matching in the stock plenum with a spacer... It has BC cams but I wasn't given any details on them. Just a BC 4.15L with 11CR...and tuned with Greddy Emanage

Hey Gabe, awesome pics... Glad your project is coming along. Its sad to see the Tomei headers hidden under the wrap , but it probably did make a big difference with the underhood temps...

Last edited by allmotorsedan; 11-12-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
scmtkings4

any idea if this is a special color only available for the 40th ann. 370z?

because i know they offer a similar color "platinum graphite" for the 370z but not sure if this is it
Old 11-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Volkov58

Hey guys i'm been reading around this forum for several days and just joined to post.

I'm reading both NA and FI posts seeing the differences in how both sides build motors. They are similiar to an extent.

Both change internals, pulley, and flywheel, for strength, weight and faster throttle response.

Both do exhaust for the same reason.

etc

the difference seems to me to be NA guys have to pay closer attention to cam, valves, combustion chambers, the top end to squeeze out any extra they can

vs

FA guys, if the engine and exhaust flow well just add boost and fuel. So less cam and head work except for the really big hp builds.

Am i totally off?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:44 PM
gabe3d

^ more or less correct. The end game for either is, more air = more power and since FI you can ram air then upgrading the blower related parts are much more straight forward and easier. Upgrading engine internal parts (the ones you noted as NA) for FI is still helpful to maximize power and longevity, not necessarily only for big hp builds. HTH.

Here are some more photos update from Rebello. Things are taking longer then expected but they are moving along. Hopefully the wait is worth it.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan

Hey Gabe, awesome pics... Glad your project is coming along. Its sad to see the Tomei headers hidden under the wrap , but it probably did make a big difference with the underhood temps...
Yeah, it's too bad they look so ugly but I might just ceramic coat them while I'm at it. I originally read a few articles on heat wrap vs. coating and they were all in favor of the wrap, but the difference might be negligible under operating circumstances.

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
any idea if this is a special color only available for the 40th ann. 370z?

because i know they offer a similar color "platinum graphite" for the 370z but not sure if this is it
Not sure really I have to dig up the brochure I got from them and tell you, but keep in mind that it will be for the Japanese market.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! You're not messing around with the build Gabe.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow those pistons look massive in that vq block... so pretty tho
Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 PM
allmotorsedan

Gabe, those Darton sleeves, are they an open deck design? I've always thought/seen closed deck aftermarket sleeves. From those pics, it looks like you don't have sleeves installed...maybe you do. I'm not too fond of sleeves, so I haven't kept up-to-date on their designs or if anything new has changed :shrug:

Anyway looks great. Keep us posted...thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
gabe3d

^ Funny how you have the exact same question as me when I first saw the pics. To me it looks like the block is just bored out and not sleeved at all.

I emailed Rebello concerning this but I have not yet received any replies.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
SexyRob

yeah I noticed that too but didn't say anything... where are the sleeves?

Last edited by SexyRob; 11-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see any sleeves... that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
SexyRob

yeah I was told 96mm is the max on vq35de before you need to sleeve
Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by SexyRob
yeah I noticed that too but didn't say anything... where are the sleeves?

If you go to GTM's website there are some pretty good pics of a block with the sleeves installed, those were the ones i referenced them to. Comparing mine to those, it looks drastically different. However, I did get a confirmation from Rebello that my block is indeed sleeved. Perhaps he's not using Darton MID sleeves? Not sure which others he would use though. Eye balling the piston and bore size, they do look bigger then stock dimensions. I'm still awaiting to see what he says about my block looking different from the ones sleeved with Darton and which sleeves he is using.

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
I don't see any sleeves... that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
What do you mean that it's not a good idea that you don't see any sleeves? Or are you suggesting that sleeves in general are not a good idea?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
If you go to GTM's website there are some pretty good pics of a block with the sleeves installed, those were the ones i referenced them to. Comparing mine to those, it looks drastically different. However, I did get a confirmation from Rebello that my block is indeed sleeved. Perhaps he's not using Darton MID sleeves? Not sure which others he would use though. Eye balling the piston and bore size, they do look bigger then stock dimensions. I'm still awaiting to see what he says about my block looking different from the ones sleeved with Darton and which sleeves he is using.

What do you mean that it's not a good idea that you don't see any sleeves? Or are you suggesting that sleeves in general are not a good idea?
No, I wouldn't want to overbore an open deck block without sleeving it. Factory sleeves are fine for factory power levels, but even at stock wall thickness, they are a weak spot in a high hp build. Once you thin them down, they can become the weakest thing in an otherwise built motor. I guess, as long as you stay N/A though, it shouldn't matter.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
No, I wouldn't want to overbore an open deck block without sleeving it. Factory sleeves are fine for factory power levels, but even at stock wall thickness, they are a weak spot in a high hp build. Once you thin them down, they can become the weakest thing in an otherwise built motor. I guess, as long as you stay N/A though, it shouldn't matter.
It wasn't the intention in the first place to run 100mm pistons without sleeves, hence the reason for this discussion.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM
allmotorsedan

I'm sure Rebello will have a good explanation for you Gabe.

I believe 96.5, maybe 97mm at max can be bored on factory sleeves. You gotta remember Gabes build is NOT for HIGH HP or even boost for that fact. So I don't forsee any problems boring 97mm on an NA build...

Those pistons do look larger than oem size...
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
gabe3d

Just spoke to Rob and he double confirmed that my block is indeed sleeved to 100mm and that they use custom ones made by Rebello, since he doesn't like the Darton MID ones.

Good news, looks like the engine will be done this week or early next week, then it'll be a small tune for a 600-1000miles break-in.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
allmotorsedan

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Just spoke to Rob and he double confirmed that my block is indeed sleeved to 100mm and that they use custom ones made by Rebello, since he doesn't like the Darton MID ones.

Good news, looks like the engine will be done this week or early next week, then it'll be a small tune for a 600-1000miles break-in.
That's great to hear!!! I can't wait until you break that beast in, and show it can really do!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 AM
gabe3d

Engine will be in no later then wednesday!

On a side note there are two very very interesting parts that will go on after the break in. I will leave it at that for now and tell you guys more about it later on. It won't be dissapointing

Quick Reply: 4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge