Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Oil Consumption Fix / N/A Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 AM
G.Mello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption Fix / N/A Build

Ok, here are a few questions I have that I have been meaning to get answered. 10 months ago I bought an 05 6MT G35 coupe which was in warranty. At the time I was unaware it was burning oil. I changed the oil the 3rd time and it was 2 quarts low. I then realized I had a the dreaded oil consumption problem. And unfortunately my warranty expired 2 moths prior. Infiniti wont acknowledge it so I'm stuck with it. Well anyway, I'm looking into fixing it myself. I was looking into buying some 11.0:1 high compression pistons and new rings, to counter act the blowby / oil consumption and also add some power. My question is if I replace the pistons and rings, should I have the block bored over .20 and use 96.00mm pistons or leave the block alone and go with the stock bore 95.50mm? I'm not really going all out on this build, my main concern is reliability, power is a plus but I dont have the money to spend on all out performance now. Anyone have anything to add I'd appreciate it

Tony
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM
NismoZ123

Default PCV

PCV filter, catch can or bypass, for any potential blowby or other issues.

Look at the inside of your intake manifold. Is it covered in oil? The throttle plate and body is easiest to check if you don't want to disassemble the manifold.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
grudum

Originally Posted by G.Mello
Ok, here are a few questions I have that I have been meaning to get answered. 10 months ago I bought an 05 6MT G35 coupe which was in warranty. At the time I was unaware it was burning oil. I changed the oil the 3rd time and it was 2 quarts low. I then realized I had a the dreaded oil consumption problem. And unfortunately my warranty expired 2 moths prior. Infiniti wont acknowledge it so I'm stuck with it. Well anyway, I'm looking into fixing it myself. I was looking into buying some 11.0:1 high compression pistons and new rings, to counter act the blowby / oil consumption and also add some power. My question is if I replace the pistons and rings, should I have the block bored over .20 and use 96.00mm pistons or leave the block alone and go with the stock bore 95.50mm? I'm not really going all out on this build, my main concern is reliability, power is a plus but I dont have the money to spend on all out performance now. Anyone have anything to add I'd appreciate it

Tony
My .02 on your question:

My question is if I replace the pistons and rings, should I have the block bored over .20 and use 96.00mm pistons or leave the block alone and go with the stock bore 95.50mm?

If you are really going to go down this road, do it right. Boring .020 is going to clean up your cylinder walls and bring them back to a perfect circle if they are distorted at all. On top of that, when you get new pistons the machinist should bore/hone match each piston. It doesnt really make any sense imo to just swap out the old pistons for the new, because you wont have any say in the clearance specs...you would just be hoping that they fit and if they dont, well, your right back where you started with oil consumption.

The machine work isnt all that expensive in comparison to everything else if you were to skip it and still have a crappy engine when its all said and done. Doing it twice...now thats a price tag I dont want to think about.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
*Boose*

You're not under the 5yr 60k mile warranty.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
G.Mello

Originally Posted by grudum
My .02 on your question:

My question is if I replace the pistons and rings, should I have the block bored over .20 and use 96.00mm pistons or leave the block alone and go with the stock bore 95.50mm?

If you are really going to go down this road, do it right. Boring .020 is going to clean up your cylinder walls and bring them back to a perfect circle if they are distorted at all. On top of that, when you get new pistons the machinist should bore/hone match each piston. It doesnt really make any sense imo to just swap out the old pistons for the new, because you wont have any say in the clearance specs...you would just be hoping that they fit and if they dont, well, your right back where you started with oil consumption.

The machine work isnt all that expensive in comparison to everything else if you were to skip it and still have a crappy engine when its all said and done. Doing it twice...now thats a price tag I dont want to think about.
I kinda figure this would be the best solution, and thank you for your honest opinion. I want it done right, so I know I dont have to do it again. How much work a shop normally charge for a job like this with them doing all the work?

and for Nowin, yes Im out of warranty, I guess it had a 4 yr 60,000mi warranty. I bought the car used 3/20/09, it had 53000 on it, the dealership checked the VIN number and said the warranty expired on 4/16/09, I was 2 weeks too late when I took it to them for a clutch issue. And If I would have known it was burning oil I would have had them test it as soon as I bought it and had the engine replaced. But silly me, I forgot that 05 and up G's had this issue. My 03 G had no issue at all, had 93,000mi on it and never burned a drop, god rest its soul.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

The dealer lied. It has a 5year 60k mile warranty. Are you over 60k miles now?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 AM
G.Mello

yep, now it has 65000 on it. Im pretty much over it though, it seems every dealership no matter what brand tries to get over on the customer.