Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

ACL Calico Race Bearings or OEM Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM
deckdout2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACL Calico Race Bearings or OEM Bearings? Headstuds & Main Bolts?

What is the consensus between these two? Why would anyone pick one above the other? Are the clearances for the ACL between the crank and the bearings offered within the guidelines off the production line, or does it need modification? I see people have different opinions on these all the time. I need more input from you guys that have used either or both to make a more solidified decision.

The motor is a VQ35DE being built with 11:1 compression and getting the works. Should I upgrade these studs and bolts to the ARP (non-L19) or even HR components? Are the original ones enough to run this NA setup? I want to upgrade where I can for the piece of mind, but it's still a semi budget build. Does anyone know the tensile strength of the HR's? I only assume they are greater then the DE's, and are they a direct fit?

-Paramy

Last edited by deckdout2; 12-20-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read my whole thread and it will answer most of your questions. The bearings are personal preference. If you have to ask use oem if you know what your doing you can figure out how to go about using acl bearings. The calico coating helps to "tighten up clearances". If you are going budget use hr pistons then you can use drop in stock rings and not have to file fit, also hr pistons come in the same grades as stock and you can save money on boring the block and just use a quick hone.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:35 AM
deckdout2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Read my whole thread and it will answer most of your questions. The bearings are personal preference. If you have to ask use oem if you know what your doing you can figure out how to go about using acl bearings. The calico coating helps to "tighten up clearances". If you are going budget use hr pistons then you can use drop in stock rings and not have to file fit, also hr pistons come in the same grades as stock and you can save money on boring the block and just use a quick hone.
Thanks bud. I've been following your thread since day one, but I need to reference back to it for this specific info. It's actually a "semi-budget" build. I have Wiseco Pistons .20 overbore, and I'm getting the block honed and bored. I'm doing extensive headwork as well. I wouldn't have been able to use HR pistons without modifying the dome as it's been done before at Maxima.org. I wanted a little bit high CR as the HR's brings it to 10.7:1 vs the stock 10.3:1. Hopefully with the HG I'm using I can yield somewhere near Adam's 11.3:1. We'll have to see in the end. So much for my budget build huh? lol