Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Tease. (Cams)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
You guys should understand that tests like this are extremely labor intensive on a Z,
Very true, each set of cams probably takes the better part of a day to install not to mention if the shop is actually working on customer cars. Also, ideally they would probably try to get similar temps and air conditions... all and all very time consuming.

Last edited by Zazz93; 07-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
Are your cams and header install complete?
I just got the headers on. The cams will get done in August.

Yeah, I guess it will take time to do a study. Maybe we were anticipating regular installments on Modified from the test. We will just have to settle for the greater Phoenix area "Tuner Shootout". Cool to see the local guys getting National attention.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Very true, each set cams probably takes the better part of a day to install not to mention if the shop is actually working on customer cars. Also, ideally they would probably try to get similar temps and air conditions... all and all very time consuming.

if you remote mount the radiator and dont put the bottom 2 12mm bolts (the ones in the oil pan) back in, cams can be swapped out and new ones in about 2 hours... that is to say if you dont have to swap springs... if engine accessories are left off (AC, P/S, Alt) then the time can be faster... its not like the car will be driven with each cam... just strap it on the dyno and do all the work with the car in one spot!!! besides the test is already done... and the gag order is until modified publishes the results
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if they are using new cams there will be a break in period on startup that would require more time. Also doing work while strapped to the dyno isn't easy or fun.

but yes your solution would cut down on install times significantly, not sure how I would feel about leaving those bolts out, even for just a couple dyno pulls.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
johnwigs

the bolts that bolt the oilpan to the front cover really isnt that big of a deal... and if you what problems would there be while working on a dyno??? front straps??? take them off to do the work... or use dynapacks... NEways the point is that the holdup is MODIFIED magazine... primedia sucks!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

9000 rpms?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 AM
johnwigs

soon... JWT grand am cams require alot of clearancing... including rocker cover... trying to make a spacer to save PCV system
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 AM
SexyRob

Originally Posted by johnwigs
the bolts that bolt the oilpan to the front cover really isnt that big of a deal... and if you what problems would there be while working on a dyno??? front straps??? take them off to do the work... or use dynapacks... NEways the point is that the holdup is MODIFIED magazine... primedia sucks!!!
well, IDK about you but If I had a dyno I really wouldn't want to be draining oil and coolant on it. As careful as I can be, some of that stuff still hits the ground, and doing it under a dyno would only make it worse. Plus, jacking up would be somewhat painful considering the jacking points are above the dyno rollers, and the lower your car is the worse it would be to hit them while on...

I guess I'd have to be very comfortable with my skills to do a cam swap on the dyno. Also, I'd want to drive the car around with each set to see how it feels, dynos don't tell you everything IMO
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 AM
johnwigs

why would you drain oil and coolant???? it is a cam swap... and I already discussed how to bypass those steps... no need to drain oil because the oil pan dosent need to come off with the bottom two bolts off.... no need to drain coolant with a remote mounted radiator (which you would put water in anyways... water displaces heat better than coolant and if you spill, no big deal)... cams are on top of the engine, so I don't know why the use of a jack is neccessary... I guess if you want to do extra work I don't want to rain on your parade... and the comparison is not how the cams compare "feel" dynos don't lie especialy when all dynos are done on the same dyno
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 AM
SexyRob

Didn't say dyno's LIE, just said they don't tell you everything about how the car feels..

as far as I know you still have to remove the front timing cover which has oil flowing through it. Which would mean draining the oil would keep you from getting too messy.

didn't even think of just loading coolant up with water but you are right that would save time / mess
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
johnwigs

if the front of the car is not on the car it would save you alot of time... there is nothing needed other than the radiator for the radiator support so take it off and have the radiator on the outside of the car and oil sits in the oil pan when it is off... draining the oil dosent get the oil out of the IVT sprokets or out of the valleys in the head or out of the timing chain... draing the oil I do last incase some silicone fell into the pan then it will come out with the oil... Im sure silicone was used very minimaly so cleanup should have been easy
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
SexyRob

hmmm guessing you've done this a couple times before. Any tips for a first time DIY @ home on jackstands installer?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwigs
why would you drain oil and coolant???? it is a cam swap... and I already discussed how to bypass those steps... no need to drain oil because the oil pan dosent need to come off with the bottom two bolts off.... no need to drain coolant with a remote mounted radiator (which you would put water in anyways... water displaces heat better than coolant and if you spill, no big deal)... cams are on top of the engine, so I don't know why the use of a jack is neccessary... I guess if you want to do extra work I don't want to rain on your parade... and the comparison is not how the cams compare "feel" dynos don't lie especialy when all dynos are done on the same dyno
At the very least, to keep results consistent, you would not want to have brand new cams installed back to back to back to back without changing the oil between runs of a particular cam. Keep in mind too that the tuning alone, particurly cam angle control, will be somewhat time consuming as well. Each cam has their own sweetspot for where they want the timing to be.

Not to mention, Sasha has a shop to run....in between his racing stuff, and his business stuff is this cam test. Tell me what you're priority would be? There are only 24 hours in a day.

Sasha has access to a dynapak - I presume that is what you will see being used for the test when the results are published

The easiest way is just to do the test on an engine dyno. Not sure if he has access to one or not. Doing a test like this with a running car will be time consuming. I've been involved in such tests before, it can be exhausting....and doing it on a Z, where an in car cam swap is not exactly a fun way to spend a day, makes it even more difficult.

Anyway suggestions aside, it is what it is. Personally, I would not have bothered announcing the test was even being done until the results were in the bag and the first issue was ready to hit the stands.

Overall though, can you blame a magazine that conducts a test such as this to release the results, or any clues as to the results (assuming the results even exist at this point in time), to release the results of the test before the issue hits the stands?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't doubt he has already finished the testing. He did two of the cam sets in the first couple of days after announcing the test (three months ago). I'm on the band-wagon that Modified Mag has delayed the article and thus the gag order remains. Bottom-line... Sasha hasn't let us down before and I don't see him starting now, the test will be worth the wait.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 PM
johnwigs

Originally Posted by SexyRob
hmmm guessing you've done this a couple times before. Any tips for a first time DIY @ home on jackstands installer?
there are no "tips"... do it the same way everyone else does it... take it apart until you get to the part you want to change.... then put it back together... oh and read and understand instructions b4 you start... then rip it apart
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
504Z07

how about throwing some Brian Crower cam testing in there. . .both types. . .that's all i've wanted to see for quite some time was that combination of SG's HR headers and BC camshafts. . .speaking of the HR headers. . .?

Last edited by 504Z07; 07-12-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:39 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^You are NOT getting your HR headers before I get my hands on a set for my built DE Rev-Up!!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM
504Z07

haha. . .nobody loves the HR. . .
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 AM
504Z07

Originally Posted by Nathan
As this is a camshaft power comparison test being done for a Magazine & entails a lot of work to strip out, refit the camshafts & set the clearances ect, it is a great pity that you are not going to use new generation camshafts.

The chosen camshafts were all released over 7 years ago & even their makers ( Tomei & JWT ) only publish small increases in power in their advertised literature.
The 3 camshafts sets have aprox the same lift as the revup cams & only between 8 & 12 deg of increased duration over a revup.

As this test is to be done on a race motor, wouldn't it be a far more interesting test for both the Magazine & this site readers if the camshafts selected were of a more later release

In my opinion a test of Brian Crowers 272, Kelford 283, Nismo S1 or 2, JWT C8 or 9, Cosworth , Tomei 272 or 280? & GTM would be better
All of these cams have lift of 11.5 or above & would be what most 350Z owners would consider today if they were going to the expense of fitting.
I think you as a racecar owner would also have more interest in the later generation of camshafts

While I realize that there is a huge cost in buying the camshafts I have mentioned, maybe just maybe some of the vendors on this site could be persuaded to donate some sets (to be resold later @ a discount) or that we the members of my350Z could donate a few $ each for what I consider would be of huge interest.

Is the cam comparo being done on your new HC motor?
If so, even more reason to choose higher spec cams considering the huge effort that you have put in with intake & header experiments

Either way it turns out, Good Luck
wow, i missed this post. . .good post, he's right. . .and shows that BC cams should be one of them being tested. . .i'll probably be getting their stroker kit too. . .
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem is that all those cams would require a built block as well due to piston clearances, and that is not what is being used for the test according to Sasha

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - if you do a full out "race" motor, people complain that they want to see a more realistic build without all the exotic stuff. If you do a more realistic build, people complain that the parts are too plain jane. The parts are being done in the race car, which Sasha says has a stock revup motor IIRC, so that limits your cam choices significantly. As much as we would love to think people are interested in the results of the crazier cams out there, the net return for a vendor would be next to nill IMHO. Believe me, I'd love to see it, don't get me wrong. The first motor of this type we've seen built through a magazine was through Cosworth about a year and a half ago. I don't think we ever saw what numbers that engine put to the ground (though they did show engine dyno results), and I don't know if Cosworth can say that they sold more of those components as a result of participating in the first place....even though the results sure made for a sweet motor. They didn't spare any expense and used some very neat stuff. The level of people who realistically will build such a motor are not going to do so based upon what a series of magazine articles say (IMHO), because the biggest barrier to entry is the net cost of such a project in the first place. I think the people who are going to seriously build such a motor are doing so of their own volition.

That being said, as anyone who knows anything about cams knows, the advertised lift and duration only tell you a small part of the story - and in and of themselves really have no predication of results

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-13-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Tease. (Cams)