Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

346whp @ 0 pounds of boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love it, love it, love it.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you listen carefully as I get on the throttle you can hear the traction control engage a little bit, god it sounds so good
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

lots of win in this thread. Any updates on the 90mm throttle body / plenum setup ?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
lots of win in this thread. Any updates on the 90mm throttle body / plenum setup ?
+1, love to add this setup
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Zquicksilver

wow!

ok, i have 3 noob questions...

1. why did you guys not go with the Nismo oil pump? is a revUP oil pump just as good!?

2. why did you guys choose a Unorthodox crank pulley over a Fluidampr or ATI damper?

3. are eagle rods the best for high a revving beast like this, or are their better lighter choices that you would suggest? like Carrillos's (Pro-SA) rods or BC rods!?

SGSash, Z-1... any suggestions would be appriciated!!

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-16-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My take ^

1. $1000 pump - 'Nuff Said
2. The dampers I've seen seem to have a higher fail rate than I would expect for this type of part. KISS, keeping it simple is generally the way to go with a track car.
3. Eagle cause they are cost effective and work more than fine for the application. There are lighter options but personally I learned a long time ago the lightest and pricey-est are not always the best for durability but to each their own.

Last edited by Zazz93; 03-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww, vid no longer works, fml
Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
wow!

ok, i have 3 noob questions...

1. why did you guys not go with the Nismo oil pump? is a revUP oil pump just as good!?

2. why did you guys choose a Unorthodox crank pulley over a Fluidampr or ATI damper?

3. are eagle rods the best for high a revving beast like this, or are their better lighter choices that you would suggest? like Carrillos's (Pro-SA) rods or BC rods!?

SGSash, Z-1... any suggestions would be appriciated!!

Zquicksilver
1. I have the NISMO oil pump and Adam has the revup version.

Do I need it? No

Could Adam have used the NISMO oil pump? Yes

Why didn't he? I would have to guess that he did not feel like spending the money. It seems so far that the Revup oil pump has been up to task with his needs.

2. Adam had an Unorthodox Racing pulley and now has an ATI pulley. He explains why he made the change in detail in his thread. I am also using an ATI pulley.

3. Eagles were relatively new and unproven at the time of Adams build and for these reasons he choose to go with them. I have choosen to go with BC rods which I wouldn't be surprised are rebrands of another company. I don't know this for a fact, I'm just saying that it would not surprise me if they were.

Last edited by Kwame; 03-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Is there a performance benefit from the Fluidampr like the UR? Can it use the same belts as UR?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
2. Adam had an Unorthodox Racing pulley and now has an ATI Fluidampr. He explains why he made the change in detail in his thread. I am also using a Fluidampr pulley.
he has an ATI damper or a fluid damper? two different pieces. imo, ati is better than the fluid, and what i will be using
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrotel
he has an ATI damper or a fluid damper? two different pieces. imo, ati is better than the fluid, and what i will be using
ATI I don't know what I was thinking typing them both, rough day.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
mgrotel

ATI I don't know what I was thinking typing them both, rough day.
one of those days huh, hate those, thanks for the clarification
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Zquicksilver

1. I have the NISMO oil pump and Adam has the revup version.

Do I need it? No

Could Adam have used the NISMO oil pump? Yes

Why didn't he? I would have to guess that he did not feel like spending the money. It seems so far that the Revup oil pump has been up to task with his needs.

2. Adam had an Unorthodox Racing pulley and now has an ATI pulley. He explains why he made the change in detail in his thread. I am also using an ATI pulley.

3. Eagles were relatively new and unproven at the time of Adams build and for these reasons he choose to go with them. I have choosen to go with BC rods which I wouldn't be surprised are rebrands of another company. I don't know this for a fact, I'm just saying that it would not surprise me if they were.

I appreciate the feedback, especially from a been there done that perspective. I guess I was just trying to prove to myself that the Nismo pump was more than a sticker on a revUP oil pump.

I'm sure the revUP oil pump would work for my needs, as I do not track my car frequently.

I would definitely upgrade to a ATI or Fluidampr pulley over ths stock OEM one, considering I won't be buying a balanced Nismo crank or having tons of money poured into shop time balancing the entire assembling to the point Adam did.

I want to go with light compoents. I figured the eagle rods were an entry level component and for a little more it would be a you get what you pay for kind of situation... Pauter are expensive and sweet, but I also see they are heavy, so I'm not going after the most expensive components either.

Zquicksilver
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by SGSash
Regarding torque/horsepower:

Torque and horsepower have a defined relationship. If you know either torque or horsepower, and you know RPM, you will know the other variable.

To get more horsepower, you need either more torque, or more rpm.

So to summarize:

290 lb-ft of torque at 5000rpm is no where near as good as 230 lb-ft of torque at 7000rpm. The graph to display that relationship, is called horsepower.

(290lb-ft of torque @ 5000rpm = 276hp)
(230lb-ft of torque @ 7000rpm = 306hp)

This post really got out of hand. Sorry!

this is a great thread OP... but this ^ is why I'm also considering going with a combo of FI plus high revs, SC to be exact

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-17-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

My build was done on a small budget. In fact, if you look at the money spent on my longblock you would realize it's almost nothing. It consists of the following ONLY:

JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
Revup Oil Pump
ARP Mains / Head Bolts
JWT Cams / springs

Like the above poster said, keep it simple.

My goal for the future for a further developed race engine would be to remove the 2nd ring and go to a much smaller piston, with a longer rod, and spin it to 9000rpm for exactly 30hrs at which point I would rebuild, and feel like I have a real motorsport engine

The UR pulley was on the car when I got it, and is the only under driven pulley that I know if. It hasn't caused any failures to date so I am taking my chances. Knowing what I know now I would use a stock pulley instead of anything else. if not the UR. The ATI would be nice if it was a smaller diameter, but all of the ones I have installed actually spin all of the accessories faster. Error.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
mgrotel

i dont suppose you could repost that video, could you?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SG, is there any head grinding/porting on that car, at least that you know of?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM
mgrotel

My build was done on a small budget. In fact, if you look at the money spent on my longblock you would realize it's almost nothing. It consists of the following ONLY:

JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
Revup Oil Pump
ARP Mains / Head Bolts
JWT Cams / springs

My goal for the future for a further developed race engine would be to remove the 2nd ring and go to a much smaller piston, with a longer rod, and spin it to 9000rpm for exactly 30hrs at which point I would rebuild, and feel like I have a real motorsport engine

The UR pulley was on the car when I got it, and is the only under driven pulley that I know if. It hasn't caused any failures to date so I am taking my chances. Knowing what I know now I would use a stock pulley instead of anything else. if not the UR. The ATI would be nice if it was a smaller diameter, but all of the ones I have installed actually spin all of the accessories faster. Error.
so its the long tubes that make the huge difference?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Sparks03Max

JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
Revup Oil Pump
ARP Mains / Head Bolts
JWT Cams / springs

This has been a great build and has inspired a lot of my build so far. I made a (far more ghetto) big plenum/3.5" elbow/3.5" intake setup and had some great gains.

I know this is OT, but would you be able to give any advice in response to this thread? https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...clearance.html

Originally Posted by mgrotel
so its the long tubes that make the huge difference?
I'd say the IM setup was another big factor.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Zquicksilver

JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
Revup Oil Pump
ARP Mains / Head Bolts
JWT Cams / springs

KISS, i'm familiar with this... it's why i've been N/A for 7yrs now. but as the car gets older and i drive it less, i'm looking for more of a roller coaster experience when i do get around to buckling in

i'm doing my research, trying to find the BBB components to achieve my ultimate sports car goal!

my wtq numbers were around 245 on a dynopack before adding the Nismo exhaust... i would like to bump this to 345 with the (used SC + upgrd goodies), built motor and a good tune.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-17-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 346whp @ 0 pounds of boost