Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

346whp @ 0 pounds of boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
^^^ so ATI street damper > Fluidampr

but on the flip side... and if i'm interpreting this correctly, this is why i thought the Fluidampr was the better choice. broader rage of dampening vibration. i think of the crank ends like a (wobbling) hotdog, don't know why, lol!
It's not so much a "wobbling hotdog" as a bar with twist. If you and a buddy hold either end of a length of steel bar very tightly, and then your buddy tries to rotate his end while you hold yours, you'll feel the torsion in the bar as the bar tries to rotate in your hand. If your buddy then stops trying to rotate the bar, the energy stored in the bar will want to cause the bar to "unwind" slightly, and this energy will be released into your hands. The longer the bar, the more energy can be stored as torsion and then released as soon as the application of torque stops. The damper servers to help dampen the harmonic of this periodic twisting of the bar.

The Fluidamper is a viscous damper, which has been shown in several studies to dampen a broader range of harmonics. However, there are other considerations, such as pulley diameter and use with accessories, that also come into play when selecting an appropriate damper.

Will
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you can contact ATI for the exact amount of under/overdriving Sasha, I forget the %'s of under/overdriving- it might be in my thread too

edit - found it

https://my350z.com/forum/5859855-post567.html
Which pulley did you use Adam?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its' on our site:

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ne&prodid=3206

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
sabelotodo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those are some amazing results. i cannot wait to break into my girlfriends car. we are going to shoot for 300whp in her 350z NA and 300whp in my 2.0T genesis coupe, then its off to the races.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both the ati and fluidampr. The ati is 6 7/8 od which overdrives the ps, and alt while underdriving the a/c. The total assembled weight is heavier than stock. The ati race pulley has a smooth outer shell that can't drive a belt and this is for race(drag) cars that have neither an alt or ps system. The ati is tunable via elastomer rings. The ati will actually rub the idler due to its size.

The fluidampr is now steel shelled, but it was always steel hubbed. Older ones were aluminum shelled with steel hubs. The fluidampr is a viscous unit and the same size as stock which makes it easier to buy belts when your **** breaks at a track day when your doing 135mph at pocono and your ps gives out, ati unit ftl.

The vq is internally balanced and all crank pulleys/harmonic balancers should be zero balanced. The balancing is accomplished via the counterweights on the crank. V8 engines that do not have enough mass to counteract the rotating parts actually have to have weights placed on the crank pulley. This is known as an externally balanced engine. The dual mass flywheels are just there to dampen drivetrain shock and there shear mass also dampens nvh from the engine. To dampen nvh in your exhaust you can use thicker wall tubing which is just adding mass. Clutch takeup will be different between an al ur pulley and a full weight dampener due to rotating mass.
Wrong thread, way off topic but the misinformation in the last page has to be corrected. Although the whole deal on the balancer countering the harmonics of cylinder firing was good.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

This is on par with what I've experienced. Thank you.

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
I have had both the ati and fluidampr. The ati is 6 7/8 od which overdrives the ps, and alt while underdriving the a/c. The total assembled weight is heavier than stock. The ati race pulley has a smooth outer shell that can't drive a belt and this is for race(drag) cars that have neither an alt or ps system. The ati is tunable via elastomer rings. The ati will actually rub the idler due to its size.

The fluidampr is now steel shelled, but it was always steel hubbed. Older ones were aluminum shelled with steel hubs. The fluidampr is a viscous unit and the same size as stock which makes it easier to buy belts when your **** breaks at a track day when your doing 135mph at pocono and your ps gives out, ati unit ftl.

The vq is internally balanced and all crank pulleys/harmonic balancers should be zero balanced. The balancing is accomplished via the counterweights on the crank. V8 engines that do not have enough mass to counteract the rotating parts actually have to have weights placed on the crank pulley. This is known as an externally balanced engine. The dual mass flywheels are just there to dampen drivetrain shock and there shear mass also dampens nvh from the engine. To dampen nvh in your exhaust you can use thicker wall tubing which is just adding mass. Clutch takeup will be different between an al ur pulley and a full weight dampener due to rotating mass.
Wrong thread, way off topic but the misinformation in the last page has to be corrected. Although the whole deal on the balancer countering the harmonics of cylinder firing was good.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Wrong thread, way off topic but the misinformation in the last page has to be corrected.
What misinformation were you correcting?

Will
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
1cockyZ

If memory serves, the Fluidampr was backordered at the time, and had just been changed to use an aluminum center section, which I wanted to avoid. The ATI uses a steel center hub section, so no concerns with long term wear against the crank.

And something else that someone edited.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM
tuko316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the fluidamprs still aluminum? Which is currently the better choice?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by tuko316
Are the fluidamprs still aluminum? Which is currently the better choice?
I thought both were steel hubs, but the Fluidamper used an Al casing. But 1cockyZ seems to be saying that the Fluidamper hub is also Al? If so, that's surprising, and a bit disconcerting for anyone looking to buy.

Will

Sasha: I heard that you sold all of your longtube headers. Are there plans to make another batch?

Last edited by Resolute; 04-17-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
1cockyZ

That was a quote, sorry. All fluidampr have steel hubs