Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

346whp @ 0 pounds of boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukiz0r
I gotta know what the OP did to make it sound like that. Amazing.
Sounds like an 8lb tilton flywheel and a whole lot of revs.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you're correct, this test was with the C10s on the intake and the C9's on the exhaust. We will be trying the C10's all around in the future.

I believe we would gain more mid-range power if we could close the intake valve earlier. So our next piston set will have larger intake valve reliefs. We may find it makes no additional power of course!

Regarding the stroke - the gains from displacement will outweigh the inability to rev as high. So you will still make far greater power with the displacement, but the HP per liter (all things being equal), will go down.

As for the valve cover clearance, there is enough material that you don't actually cut holes in the valve cover. You only need about 1.3mm (the C8s clear at 12mm of lift), and there was more than enough there.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGSash
As for the valve cover clearance, there is enough material that you don't actually cut holes in the valve cover. You only need about 1.3mm (the C8s clear at 12mm of lift), and there was more than enough there.
So the C8s don't need valve cover clearancing?

What about that mechanical stopper. Is that going to last getting hit over and over? Where can I get those?

Also where are the C9 and C10 cams for sale?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrei
So the C8s don't need valve cover clearancing?

What about that mechanical stopper. Is that going to last getting hit over and over? Where can I get those?

Also where are the C9 and C10 cams for sale?
^ You talk to JWT directly and they ask about your build and help you decide if they are really what you're looking for, based on your desired peak RPM range and driveability goals.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a nice power curve for just having one throttle body/intake. Thanks for sharing the goodies on those cams.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Andrei

Can SGM post a dynojet chart please. I have a lot of non believers here.

AND ALSO is it true that the car makes more power with the 3" headers and single 3.5" instead of a dual 2.5" exhaust with 2.5" headers. I got people here telling me they think it would make more power with a smaller exhaust which I personally know it wont.

My dual 3" exhaust with stock headers also came into question and I am being told I would make more power with a 2.5". I need SGM to confirm if this age old myth is true that a smaller exhaust has more overall gains on the VQ.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a dynojet wouldn't be any more nor less accurate - the gains are still the gains and they are only relevant to the starting point of this car or other cars that use that dyno. Just like your dyno charts on whatever dyno you may use are only relevant to your car or other cars on that dyno. The changes are all that matter

You don't have the same compression, or cams, or headers or intake manifold or throttle body and as such your exhaust needs are different.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-05-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, good numbers
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Andrei

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
a dynojet wouldn't be any more nor less accurate - the gains are still the gains and they are only relevant to the starting point of this car or other cars that use that dyno. Just like your dyno charts on whatever dyno you may use are only relevant to your car or other cars on that dyno. The changes are all that matter

You don't have the same compression, or cams, or headers or intake manifold or throttle body and as such your exhaust needs are different.
Still got a lot of people here who want to see a dynojet chart.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Lots of people want to see bigfoot. Doesn't mean they are going to.

This is what I LOVE about the internet. Someone does the work trying to get good results for themselves, they SHARE their results and people act like they are owed proof.

Believe don't believe it. Whatever.

I appreciate that the op is sharing their data.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I get my headers installed and tuned, I will post my DJ numbers. I'm at 310whp without the headers and TB. I hope to be around 325whp, conservatively, once the headers are on.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
gt20ir

I sortof agree and understand where the people are coming from that want to see a dynojet chart, BUT what would be better is to see the motor 100% stock on the same dynapack to compare starting to where its at now, then you can take that % power gain and compare to a stock car on a Dynojet and get an idea.... atleast that way you have a power gain you can visualize.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have a commonly used local dynojet up with these headers in the spring if nobody else beats me to it. Not going to be an ideal stock before + header afterwards dyno but it will give an idea of what the numbers look like for the dynojet crowd.
Mine have been sent for coating already so they should be arriving pretty soon!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Lots of people want to see bigfoot. Doesn't mean they are going to.

This is what I LOVE about the internet. Someone does the work trying to get good results for themselves, they SHARE their results and people act like they are owed proof.

Believe don't believe it. Whatever.

I appreciate that the op is sharing their data.

Seriously

Just take the info for what it is . Life isn't spoonfed
Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is why this forum ****ing fails. Sasha has shown countless vids where his car kicks *** in races. Has shown the entire progress on his car and exactly what hes done to the car to the tee, and people are worried about a stupid *** dyno number.

I love every thread this guy makes. It actually looks like hes having fun. Only thing I ask for is a proper HD vid with better sound. Because this car makes sounds that make my pants move.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 AM
gt20ir

All forums fail in some way or another, but there will always be haters...

Again, the final number isnt important...

Look at it this way, Its pretty impressive when you think of HOW FEW parts are really in this build...

Basically,

Headers (good ones)
Exhaust
Rev up intake manifold
C9 Cams
Tuning

Sure there is some other stuff, but even the slight bump in compression or displacement doesnt mean much for this build. EVEN IF this motor STOCK made say 275whp on the dynapack, then its still making 70whp over stock with just a few parts, the few right parts... Thats awesome.

I look at this build, and many others as insight and optimism for my HR build, when i actually get around to it...

Keep it up! keep them results coming!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM
XChacalX

if im right ,, his engine stock form was putting like any other VQ of his generation around 230-240whps on his dyno

my 370z 7 At stock did 260-265whps on that same dyno.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non revups usually dyno at 200-220whp on the dyno, revups 210-230whp.

So yes, huge gains. But don't forget, tilton clutch and flywheel, unorthadox underdrive crank pulley. Those two parts will add another 10whp or so to a dyno plot.

So say we started with a 230whp base, we're still up over 100whp!

What we've done differently than every other build that I've seen, is we have literally tested ONE thing at a time. There have been a few parts that have LOST power, that have been removed (ported heads), (dual 2.5" exhaust with a terrible h-pipe), so we've found out what really does and doesn't work.

The combination seems to be rather simple:

Big cams
Good headers and a single 3.5" exhaust
Intake over 300whp

Thanks for all the compliments as usual guys, that motivation certainly helps keep me going (there will never be an end to how much you can test, the question is when do we call it good enough!)

As for the Dynojet, if you really think I'm going to load the car up on the trailer and take it to another shop and rent their dyno to do a few pulls you're kidding. Although I do want to find out, since Dynojet's seem to be relatively consistent from dyno to dyno. My bet would be another 15-20hp.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Andrei

Non revups usually dyno at 200-220whp on the dyno, revups 210-230whp.

So yes, huge gains. But don't forget, tilton clutch and flywheel, unorthadox underdrive crank pulley. Those two parts will add another 10whp or so to a dyno plot.

So say we started with a 230whp base, we're still up over 100whp!

What we've done differently than every other build that I've seen, is we have literally tested ONE thing at a time. There have been a few parts that have LOST power, that have been removed (ported heads), (dual 2.5" exhaust with a terrible h-pipe), so we've found out what really does and doesn't work.

The combination seems to be rather simple:

Big cams
Good headers and a single 3.5" exhaust
Intake over 300whp

Thanks for all the compliments as usual guys, that motivation certainly helps keep me going (there will never be an end to how much you can test, the question is when do we call it good enough!)

As for the Dynojet, if you really think I'm going to load the car up on the trailer and take it to another shop and rent their dyno to do a few pulls you're kidding. Although I do want to find out, since Dynojet's seem to be relatively consistent from dyno to dyno. My bet would be another 15-20hp.
So according to the post you just made the debate is OVER. A big exhaust does make more power than a smaller exhaust on a Revup.

Does anyone still have a problem with my dual 3" exhaust on my sedan with stock headers?

BTW I love what you've done with the car. Bigger than the world exhaust and bigger cams and a few boltsons with a built bottom end. I'm sure Nismo would be proud and impressed if they see this. Go out there and take on some E90 M3s. I would love to see that.
There have been a few parts that have LOST power, that have been removed (ported heads), (dual 2.5" exhaust with a terrible h-pipe), so we've found out what really does and doesn't work.
That's going to be hard to swallow for a lot of people.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-06-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM
XChacalX

humm I was a bit high in my guessing of 240 ! ,, hehe thats even better !!

Quick Reply: 346whp @ 0 pounds of boost