Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

346whp @ 0 pounds of boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrei
So according to the post you just made the debate is OVER. A big exhaust does make more power than a smaller exhaust on a Revup.

Does anyone still have a problem with my dual 3" exhaust on my sedan with stock headers?

BTW I love what you've done with the car. Bigger than the world exhaust and bigger cams and a few boltsons with a built bottom end. I'm sure Nismo would be proud and impressed if they see this. Go out there and take on some E90 M3s. I would love to see that.
assuming stock headers and no cams, your exhaust is making more noise than power
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
assuming stock headers and no cams, your exhaust is making more noise than power
Well thanks for insight but it's MORE power over stock nonetheless AND your post doesn't disprove the fact that a bigger exhaust makes more power than a smaller one.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So according to the post you just made the debate is OVER. A big exhaust does make more power than a smaller exhaust on a Revup.
I see a Non-Revup...

Name:  CamModInstalled.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  88.8 KB
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What is it that you can't understand about your not taking advantage of said exhaust without cams and headers.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Well thanks for insight but it's MORE power over stock nonetheless AND your post doesn't disprove the fact that a bigger exhaust makes more power than a smaller one.
the point is this is a build thread surrounding a particular fully built car with all the trimmings - if you want to know the ideal exhaust setup for your setup, you'll simply need to do what the rest of us do and try 'em out for yourself, or just be happy with what you have. It's awfully impossible to compare the results of this setup to a non built one.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-06-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Andrei

It's awfully impossible to compare the results of this setup to a non built one.
Well you see, that's where you're wrong because the car did make 327whp with a stock motor with boltons and Mismo cams being the only internal mod https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/4...ideo-pics.html

And 279 whp with only an intake and the 3" headers and 3.5" single. https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/3...-roadster.html

So it is safe to say the debate is in fact over? I think it is. Big exhaust=more power.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not really that impossible.

Take away the restrictions, without going too far and killing the velocity. That's the name of the game.

Any time you have something restricting airflow significantly, making changes to other parts will do little to absolutely nothing. Variance in dyno pulls may even lead you to believe you lost power.

Opening up the last bottleneck when everything else is already tuned for higher flow, will yield huge results. That's why our headers could make 15whp on one setup, and 40whp on another setup. It's just amazing that with the stock revup Nissan left 30+whp on the table in the exhaust system.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

but the car has cams...and your car doesn't

the car has headers, and your car doesn't

these factors alone make it a completely irrelevant comparison, as these factors are very large contributing factors to the ideal exhaust size and configuration

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-06-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Andrei

but the car has cams...and your car doesn't

the car has headers, and your car doesn't

these factors alone make it a completely irrelevant comparison, as these factors are very large contributing factors to the ideal exhaust size and configuration
Still made 279 whp with 3" headers 3.5" single and an intake.

If they would of used 2.5" headers and a dual 2.5" exhaust it would of made less power. That's the point and the END of the debate.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

In your mind, it would have made more power - and you're free to think that and have that opinion

The fact of the matter is, you don't know (nor do I), nor does anyone else unless they try it back, to back

Secondly, you're talking about 2 different cars. This is not the car that made 279 whp with just headers and an exhaust - that was a revup roadster. The car in this thread is the non revup race car. Now you're trying to draw a comparison between either of these, and a sedan with stock headers and not a single, but dual 3 inch exhaust? You want to know which will be better, you'll have to try all the combos yourself. No one is going to know otherwise
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Andrei

In your mind, it would have made more power - and you're free to think that and have that opinion

The fact of the matter is, you don't know (nor do I), nor does anyone else unless they try it back, to back
I don't have an opinion. The FACT is that every time they went bigger on the exhaust it made more power with or without cams, with or without a stock motor.

That's the end.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes, but their exhaust setup is not you setup...and that too is a fact. You also don't know what portion of their mods (headers vs exhaust) are responsible for the majority of the gains.

a "big" exhaust can take many forms - and there is such a thing as too big.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I have an AP Ti single exhaust that is LOUD so I put in a silencer. When we tuned it the silencer stole 30 hp (271 vs 24x) I am putting up with the noise and enjoying my 271/262 at the wheels.

You need some back pressure in an engine, the trick is finding the right combination of parts to achieve your goals.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I have an AP Ti single exhaust that is LOUD so I put in a silencer. When we tuned it the silencer stole 30 hp (271 vs 24x) I am putting up with the noise and enjoying my 271/262 at the wheels.

You need some back pressure in an engine, the trick is finding the right combination of parts to achieve your goals.
You're on the right track but confusing the terminology (common, lots of people do it)

No engine wants backpressure actually....the engine does want velocity of air, both in and out. Your silencer increased your backpressure, by forcing all that air that the heads exhaled to eventually find their way out of a much smaller orifice than without it. That is adding backpressure....you saw the net result. At the same time, the silencer essentially is creating a bottle neck, which also slows down velocity (and if severe enough also can choke volume). That's how it's reducing volume, etc, but it comes at a price.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
XChacalX

+1 on what Z1 said !
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Thanks for the lesson.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM
lemmiwinkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please correct my if I'm wrong but arnt they using 2.5" primaries for the headers and y pipe into the 3.5" exhaust?
I also just want to say I appreciate all the work sg is doing and that they are actually sharing it with us dispite all the bitching about dynos. I feel lucky they are sharing the amount of information they have given us.

Last edited by lemmiwinkz; 12-06-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiwinkz
I feel lucky they are sharing the amount of information they have given us.
DING... DING... DING! We have a winner!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I thanked them in post 50.

lol
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by SGSash
Regarding torque/horsepower:

Torque and horsepower have a defined relationship. If you know either torque or horsepower, and you know RPM, you will know the other variable.

To get more horsepower, you need either more torque, or more rpm.

Torque is basically maxed out by the displacement of the engine. The relationship between torque and engine displacement is basically describing the engines efficiency. Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) lets us compare engines of different displacement:

To put the VQ in perspective for you, my engine with the non-revup lower plenum was making close to 290 lb-ft of torque at 3.5 liters:

The formula for BMEP is simple, and it gives us somewhat of an idea of the potential torque we should be able to expect out of a certain displacement, when comparing it to racecar engines of similar breed:

BMEP = 150.8 x TORQUE (lb-ft) / DISPLACEMENT (ci)

So, taking 290 lb-ft of torque and 213.5 cubic inches we get: 204.83 (the unit is PSI). Now that is to the wheels. If we want to just be conservitive and assume another 10% at the engine: 319 lb-ft the BMEP is 225PSI

Now to compare to race engines:

Formula 1: ~220PSI
Nascar Cup: ~219PSI
Corvette Z06: ~165PSI (advertised numbers)
Porsche 911 GT3: ~206PSI

Looking at the BMEP by itself, it looks like we have the most amazing engine in the world! And it shows that it's making a HUGE amount of torque compared to most race tuned naturally aspirated engines.

Now that I've made the VQ look like a better engine than formula one, I must continue to explain the details:

We're missing a big chunk of the picture. It's much easier to make greater torque at LOWER rpm, than it is to make that same torque at higher RPM. This is because the faster you spin the engine, the more losses you rack up with friction (bearings, cams smashing valves, pistons on cylinder walls etc) and pumping losses (that's why pulling a vacuum in the crankcase frees up power at high rpm).

The reason the BMEP is lower on the F1 and Nascar cup engines, is because they have tuned the engines to spin at high RPM, and the goal is to make the torque (and horsepower) as high as possible at those higher RPMs. That means sacrificing low and mid-range torque to make the engine efficient in those areas. The tuning comes in all sorts of different forms, like header design, cam sizing and timing, intake runner diameter and lengths, etc.

So naturally the peak torque falls, and the BMEP goes down with it. Since the engine keeps making torque at higher RPM, the horsepower goes up (a very significant amount). Using sequential gearboxes with close gears, you can keep the engine operating at high RPM and the loss of low-end torque no longer matters since you're never there!

Is it funny what I described is EXACTLY what modern auto manufactures are doing with their 7 and 8 speed automatics to make up for their high revving engines with fairly small powerbands? (Think of how low the torque is on the new G37/370z 3.7's, but how high the horsepower is). Honda has been doing it forever of course, except with VTEC they can keep a ton of low end power compared to what it would be like if it was always on the big cam.

Back on topic - to make horsepower, REAL horsepower (like 100whp per liter), you NEED to sacrifice torque (or have variable everything). That's why you will see my racecar build going up in power and down in peak torque (or at least staying the same). The peak torque used to be higher than it is now, despite the fact that it's making 15 more horsepower. Because we've used an intake manifold and cam that sacrifices sub 5000rpm torque for more torque (and as a result MORE horsepower) at 6000rpm+

So to summarize:

290 lb-ft of torque at 5000rpm is no where near as good as 230 lb-ft of torque at 7000rpm. The graph to display that relationship, is called horsepower.

(290lb-ft of torque @ 5000rpm = 276hp)
(230lb-ft of torque @ 7000rpm = 306hp)

This post really got out of hand. Sorry!
saved : ) good stuff

Quick Reply: 346whp @ 0 pounds of boost