Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
the_coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it is a u-turn. but ive always loved the y34 m45 since i first saw one back in 05.
the more i think about it, the more i want one. and i wanna stance it out.
i think i wanna just slow down and get into the 4 door, v8, automatic baller type look these days.
and it sucks since i just dropped a ton of money into this car, so we'll see if i can even get it sold or not. if not, i'll keep it. no biggy! :biggthumpup:
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
mgrotel

dont sell man, you will regret it. just see what the new oil and filter do
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How do people do builds like this only to immediately get rid of it? You don't want to enjoy the car?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Take those headers off first and ill trade my oems for u lmao
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, after all the work you've put in to it...I hope you fix the problem and enjoy the car a little longer. Godspeed to you and your car.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I am in the same spot and nearly sold my car, I just decided to stop spending money on it and save up to ditch this VQ and put an LS in and make it a real car!

On another note, I love those M45's too, isn't there a M56 too?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Classy
I am in the same spot and nearly sold my car, I just decided to stop spending money on it and save up to ditch this VQ and put an LS in and make it a real car!
what problems were you having? i dont remember seeing a build thread
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
the_coupe

its not that i want to get rid of the car cuz of the issues ive been having. i just always loved the y34 and i thought about it ALOT over the weekend. and id like to (if not soon) one day transition to a big body 4 door and vip the bytch lol. so we'll see...if i sell it, its sold. if not, i'll keep it....i got no other choice haha.

the car hasnt made the noise in the past couple days. and i just changed the oil (no metal shiz in the strainer) with mobil1 10w30 oil and filter today. started up normally, sounds a LIL better with the valvetrain noise.

and yeah classy, i was only wanting to change my intake setup and throw on some hotchkis sways and call it a day....dont think thats gonna happen now if i keep it lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Classy

Originally Posted by mgrotel
what problems were you having? i dont remember seeing a build thread
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...ing-money.html
That is my half *** build thread. No interest so I never updated it. I had to wait 2 months for the motor to get back from the machine shop... Then I finally get it and I get it assembled and put in with not problems ironically. It won't turn over, right on the edge but never made it. Went to Uprev in Austin, hook it up to the smoker, driver's side valve cover is leaking.... Pull all that crap off and put it back on right. Reassemble everything, and back on the smoker, and the passenger is smoking like crazy... this one is ripped. I run to a local nissan in Austin with my girlfriend dodging traffic in a Dodge 2500 with a trailer still on it and we get back, put it on and poof, 15 psi and not leaking... and guess what... It fires right up... I had 2 friends working with me, we got the motor assembled and installed ready to run in 2 days, so I am not that mad at this point... They put their break in oil in and about 5 min in, it is tapping like crazy from the drivers side intake cam gear area. After about 4 hours of costly trouble shooting, they decide it is the oil solenoid. I drive home carless and come back that saturday. Put the new solenoid on and it is still ticking... SO, we do some more trouble shooting and the cam gear is seized... he tunes it not to advance or retard so I can drive it home. 500 miles in I install the new cam gear, no more knock and the car feels better. 1000 miles, I change the oil again, take it back to uprev and dyno it. about 2-3 hours in, it begins stalling after pulls... He "fixes it" I made 287 RWHP at 7k, but the line doesn't ever come down. I am already completely worn out on everything and I just leave... I notice that my other 4 tunes are not installed and it stalls again before I make it home... Fast forward to 2500 miles on the new motor (now) I put a Fujita intake on (2 7/8in and built in maf bung!) and the car fixed the stalling thing on it's own, but still stalls sometimes... I am going to Uprev for a 4th time monday, I hope I am done then...

So, that is the update, lol

Originally Posted by the_coupe
and yeah classy, i was only wanting to change my intake setup and throw on some hotchkis sways and call it a day....dont think thats gonna happen now if i keep it lol.
unfortunately, I already have a full suspension, brakes, and pretty much everything I would need other than boosting the VQ or replacing it with an LS

At my current full cost of just the engine build, I am just a few thousand shy of affording an LS2 swap...

Last edited by Classy; 08-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
the_coupe

lol. tanabe springs and oem brembos for me. got everything else pretty much that i want.

oh well, aside from the disturbing thoughts of going vip

Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Classy
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...ing-money.html
That is my half *** build thread. No interest so I never updated it. I had to wait 2 months for the motor to get back from the machine shop... Then I finally get it and I get it assembled and put in with not problems ironically. It won't turn over, right on the edge but never made it. Went to Uprev in Austin, hook it up to the smoker, driver's side valve cover is leaking.... Pull all that crap off and put it back on right. Reassemble everything, and back on the smoker, and the passenger is smoking like crazy... this one is ripped. I run to a local nissan in Austin with my girlfriend dodging traffic in a Dodge 2500 with a trailer still on it and we get back, put it on and poof, 15 psi and not leaking... and guess what... It fires right up... I had 2 friends working with me, we got the motor assembled and installed ready to run in 2 days, so I am not that mad at this point... They put their break in oil in and about 5 min in, it is tapping like crazy from the drivers side intake cam gear area. After about 4 hours of costly trouble shooting, they decide it is the oil solenoid. I drive home carless and come back that saturday. Put the new solenoid on and it is still ticking... SO, we do some more trouble shooting and the cam gear is seized... he tunes it not to advance or retard so I can drive it home. 500 miles in I install the new cam gear, no more knock and the car feels better. 1000 miles, I change the oil again, take it back to uprev and dyno it. about 2-3 hours in, it begins stalling after pulls... He "fixes it" I made 287 RWHP at 7k, but the line doesn't ever come down. I am already completely worn out on everything and I just leave... I notice that my other 4 tunes are not installed and it stalls again before I make it home... Fast forward to 2500 miles on the new motor (now) I put a Fujita intake on (2 7/8in and built in maf bung!) and the car fixed the stalling thing on it's own, but still stalls sometimes... I am going to Uprev for a 4th time monday, I hope I am done then...

So, that is the update, lol

unfortunately, I already have a full suspension, brakes, and pretty much everything I would need other than boosting the VQ or replacing it with an LS

At my current full cost of just the engine build, I am just a few thousand shy of affording an LS2 swap...
Holy **** man, now I'm scared to put mine together on my own
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
the_coupe

i still dont see how leaking valve cover gaskets kept it from running....?
and the timing on this motor is pretty much a no-brainer so you couldnt have had any piston-valve contact unless you had one of the sprockets off by more than a couple teeth.....which i doubt would be the case....match the colored link to the dot/mark on the sprocket lol.

I JUST got done fixing a qx4 that was making a rod knocking noise. turned out to be excessive carbon build-up on the #3 piston. soaked that whole side with atf fluid on the pistons for a few hours. then put it together, drove it, rev'd the **** out of it and the noise vanished!!! cool huh? lol

and my car was stalling after i'd rev it up and let it idle down, but the tuner had to adjust the fuel due to the larger lift of the bc cams. its all gooood now

and something yall have been waiting for...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HcHIHU9D0Y
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM
mgrotel

Sick! Finally a BC stage 2 cam idle clip!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read through this whole thread. WOW! I've read a handful of these NA build threads and there are always so many issues. It just seems impossible for everything to go smooth. I guess it's the nature of the beast. I plan on doing mine someday, but all these issues really intimidate me. We'll see.

Are you still planning on doing the intake tests?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Classy

There was so much vacuum loss that it couldn't fire I guess... but it fired up immediately after I re-assembled it with both valve cover gaskets fixed... Timing was right, the gear was just shot... All fixed now.

I am going to get hopefully the final tune, fix the stalling, the boggy partial throttle at about 2k rpm, the overall boggy feeling unless I am hammering it (I am pretty sure it is the bigger intake) and a higher redline to make power longer

My car sounds alot like yours, I have MR longtubes to an hks knock off exhaust, I love how much better the exhaust sounded after the build

AND I owned an 04 G35 coupe, here are some pictures, I think we were going the same route, lol

Last edited by Classy; 08-10-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupe, did you get that same "boggy feeling" bottom end that Classy is refering to? I've wrote it off as just being the nature of the beast. I went back and forth with my tuner thinking something wasn't right. I would look at the plots and they said there was more power but the butt-dyno said otherwise. Could've also be that the different and additional noise just tricks you into thinking its bogging. Don't know, but I have just accepted it now.

BTW, I'm using the Megan shorties... maybe a design thing.

Last edited by Zazz93; 08-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM
mgrotel

im guessing thats tuning as well
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Classy

Now there is a difference between boggy and just less power because of the cams in the low. I will tell you the new intake made it worse
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
mgrotel

i would just stick with the stock intake man, its not worth the hasstle unless you have a really good tuner, imo
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Classy

The guy I am going to I am really impressed with his skills, I already sold my old intake and the new one feels like it does have more power up top.

Quick Reply: the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc