Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

my turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

classy, do you remember if you took off the alternator to get the power steering bracket off? i need that bracket off, then the crank pulley off, then the timing chain cover is ready to come off. i just dont know how else to get at those bracket bolts and was hoping i didnt need to remove the alternator. im pretty sure i wont need to remove the radiator either.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

You do need to take the bolts off of the alternator, I just rolled it over and had it lay off to the side, I am seriously pumped to see you car do some dyno pulls with nitrous and see how it does on the drag strip, I never did well at the drag strip, haha, best I ever did was 13.9 with a few bolt ons, haha
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
mgrotel

Thanks man, I just pulled it all the way out. Might be a bit till I get to work on it again though.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Classy

Ya, I remember it taking 2 days (I didn't work very hard either day) in my girl friends driveway to tear it down, replace the gear and slap it back together. I was so relieved after getting it all together and doing a first start and nothing leaked the tapping was gone and the gear was moving finally, I knew all I had was some more break in time and another round of tuning (turned out to be 2 trying to tune out a stalling issue and have the better tuner tune it, the first guy said I wasn't going to get anything else out of it... 22 hp later...)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 AM
mgrotel

did you feel a big increase in power once the cam was advancing again?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Classy

They turned down the advance when I left with the bad gear, And I was still breaking it so I didn't feel much, but it felt awesome revving to 4k, so I can't really tell you more
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Classy

Update???
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM
mgrotel

its still sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish it
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Classy

I don't even have a Nissan anymore! I am living through yours, finish it!!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
mgrotel

so been working on this some today. took the front cover off and before i loosened the vtc sprocket, i wanted to get all the timing marks lined up so when i put slack in the chain, everything is where is should be. so, took the spark plugs out to make turning the motor over by hand easier. ive been turning the engine over for about an hour. is it supposed to take this long? i am pretty sure the timing is ok, because the primary chain will line up great, but the secondarys are off. or the secondarys will line up correct, then the primary is way off. im thinking it just takes forever to get the two sized chains in sync. does this sound right?

you are probably asking they not just take it apart and time it all over again from scratch. well, im trying to do this without pulling the valve covers. to time it from scratch would mean i needed to turn the cams with a wrench which means removing the valve covers

is it supposed to take this long to get ALL of the marks lined up when rotating the motor by hand?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the chains and line them up... It is called static timing!!!!
You will have to turn the engine over almost a million times to make the chain marks line up...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
mgrotel

yea, i finally just put it to tdc and took **** off, im sorry im not a mechanic mr wigs
it would be nice if just every once in a while you didnt come off as such a smart *** and condescending but whatever
Old 07-28-2012, 04:05 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,595 Likes on 2,052 Posts

At what point do you say I tried, it is more than I can handle and have it done professionally?

I'd be pretty upset if I had not done that and were still having the issues you are.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Classy

He is taking his time, it isn't a huge priority! Sorry I am late here man, ya, I jus tore it all apart and redid all of the timing
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

As he said, he is not a mechanic. He keeps having problems. I paid, had it done FINALLY and have been enjoying mine for months meanwhile he has had one problem after another.

Obviously it is his car and he will do as he pleases, however I can't help but fear that eventually one of these problems will cause a failure that will cost far more than not paying to have it done properly professionally.

I have pointed this out before and backed off months ago. Here we are again with a problem. Seems like a no brainer that at some point one says enough have it done and be done with it.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:58 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Classy
He is taking his time, it isn't a huge priority! Sorry I am late here man, ya, I jus tore it all apart and redid all of the timing
yea, i should have done that from the beginning. once i gave up on actually lining up all the marks, it only took about an hour to remove and replace the part and get the timing set again. setting the timing is much easier the second time around. thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
As he said, he is not a mechanic. He keeps having problems. I paid, had it done FINALLY and have been enjoying mine for months meanwhile he has had one problem after another.

Obviously it is his car and he will do as he pleases, however I can't help but fear that eventually one of these problems will cause a failure that will cost far more than not paying to have it done properly professionally.

I have pointed this out before and backed off months ago. Here we are again with a problem. Seems like a no brainer that at some point one says enough have it done and be done with it.
its a no brainer to me to do the work myself. its a hobby, yea, at times i get frustrated, but i always figure it out. where do you get me having problems? just because i asked a question on here? ive known the vtc sprocket was bad for months. this is not a new problem. i simply asked a question on here before just doing what i knew i would need to do anyway. dont mistake me having a question for having a problem.

i work out of town mon-fri so cant work on it during the week. i am in the process of finishing my basement, so that and hanging out with my gf takes up most of my weekend. on top of that, i have 2 other vehicles, 1 of which is modified more than this one and needless to say takes up quite a bit of time as well. if i had a week to work on it and nothing else, it would be done.

idk if you are trying to be an *** or trying to be helpful in some odd way and have good intentions, but im not pussing out and paying someone to do it. i started a project and i will see it through, that is just how i am.

items left:
ppe longtubes (still being made)
fuel pump
cutout
redo nitrous lines
tune
done
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Really? No problems?

Off the top of my head:

Timing cover being hit by chains, turned out to be transmission, VTC not engaging causing you to open the cover 2x and on & on.

Again, your car but you keep having issues and admit not being a mechanic.

I am trying to help but won't be sympathetic when you have serious issues.

A man should know his limitations, imho.

Good luck.

And as far as "pussing out" There is no shame in not knowing how to do something and paying a professional to do it. I look forward to your not "pussing out" and doing your own root canal. Post those results up please!

Last edited by e30cabrio; 07-28-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 AM
mgrotel

when i said no problems, i meant recent ones. christ, im sick of people bashing in here, get a life, do something, go get a hobby. ive only had the timing cover off once, not twice, the chain never hit the case. i had a bad vtc sprocket, not my fault.

being an *** isnt helping. 1, i dont need your help and 2, you dont know enough to even offer help. like i said, go get a hobby
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Classy

To be honest, e30, you are kinda pressing him... He will get it done!

Quick Reply: my turn