Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Highrev Conversion Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
npr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highrev Conversion Parts

im ready to be flamed for this, and sadly the computer that had all the pictures and links viable and atleast back up my statements crashed.

i know that the high rev oil pump would work with slight modification to the bracket, as it is off a small amount compared to the revup and base de pump. its driving gear is about twice as thick and has a dual spring on it (which can be swapped out to the other oil pumps) it is also can handle the rpms that the high rev goes up to.

the heads on the high rev actually line up and bolt on fairly well. the difference is in the block actually being taller. i had the numbers but sadly they where lost. also it causes a slight increase in compression. the 5 main issues with this are.
1: the front and rear engine covers from an 09 maxima are needed for the vtc to work properly and for all the sensors and covers to line up. this might be possible to over come with minor fabrication or elbow grease
2: the cam sensors are moved to the front. as far as i can tell they are almost the same as the highrev just in a different position. so the wiring harness would have to be lengthened.
3:the lower intake manifolds (lower reciever if youd call it that) are completely different and mount to the heads at a different angle. now there two options with this. use the 09 maximas upper intake manifold, or use the 350zs lower and have it lathed a few mm to match up properly. also to note the 09 maxima uses a 90mm throttle body. i know its not that hardto wire up a hitachi 90 mm like some v8's have to work with ours.
4: exhaust - nuthin to crazy just use the hr headers and cats (testpipes) or the new long tubes that are out and it should bolt up easy to the y pipe (or duals)
5: tuning. well at this point your running a much more free flowing head with aggressive cams. a tune will be necessary.

all together though i think it be feasible to get the hr heads. do a nice port and polish. aftermarket cams matching your compression and goals for the engine. machining on the lower intake manifold (it can also just be done with a file and steady hand or a belt sander and caution if you where to go so far ), extruded and honed to flow with the new heads. then using the stock intake manifold. if im correct the ecu would just read the incoming signals off the hr same as the revup. then the rest of the tuning using something like Osiris would be the same as just tuning for cams

feed back is appreciated.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
npr350z

if anyones confused by this, its basically makin an 09 maxima engine. but with a rwd block and using the z's intake manifolds bits.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Sound like a lot of work and money for not really any gain, I see where you are trying to go with this
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
CLyons0203

why just swap a complete rwd HR motor in?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm.... You seem to be on to something. The higher CR would be a nice little side effect but I think the largest benefit to the HR is that nicer bottom end. The heads are a bit nicer design from the factory (port-wise) but they have smaller valves than the Revup so in the big picture, the advantage disappears.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
npr350z

swapping in the whole hr is a nightmare of wiring and such. the hr does have stronger internals. but it trades bore for stroke and revs to 7.5k. the revup 7.2k. the de 6.8. a few new parts like bearings and bolts and the hr oil pump 7.5k would be easy to hit but with a better tq curve. if your doing a full rebuild or going for boost or all out na the cfm flow rate would be nice. yes the smaller valves do hinder things, but its not terrible to overcome that with aftermarket parts. i know its only makes sense in a full rebuild. but its something that even if its done to a base de with only mild cams and a slight increase in rpm it could be a pretty fair bump up in power. a fully bolt on with cams na de hits 300whp. revups higher a bit. hr hit 300 with minor bolt ons. considering the amount of work that would need to be done in a rebuild is minimum: lengthening a harness, milling a lower intake manifold, engine covers. i think the gains would be more than minimum, i would assume ( i had the numbers) would be around 30hp...possibly more. theres an a maxima with similiar mods useing stop cams, intake, and exhuast with tuning hitting over 300whp. id assume with the higher drivetrain loss with it being rwd. some extra goodies itd be a fair bit more. completely tame as well
Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
npr350z

ill add .02 cents . the heads can be had for less than 500 each, seen them around 300 for average. so all this can be done for cheaply. if your already getting cams the cost all makes sense.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM
nenismo350Z

Default Are non-revup and revup long blocks the same???

Hy, I hope I'm right when I say "long block"... as I understand the long block is basically the shell where all the insides of the engine go, right???
Well, if I'm wrong I hope you understand what I'm talking about.
I ask this because I'm about to change my 2003 350Z engine (non-revup) for a 2006 (revup) engine.
Don't ask me why, it's a long and boring story, the thing is I have already got everything I thought was going to be necessary, even the ECM from a 2006. I got the engine rebuild gasket kit, and the revup engine it self. And was planning to make the swaping in this month.
I know a lot will say it would be a lot easier to swap the whole engine without so many trouble, but it can't be done, believe me, if it coud be done I would do it. The thing is I have both engines but I can only use my cars long block mainly because of the serial number, so I thought about swaping all the insides of the revup engine to my car long block.
But now I'm not sure it will be possible. Maybe I got all wrong but someone said the long block from the revup engine is taller??? So that means I can't build a revup engine using a non-revup engine long block.
Sorry if my english is not the best, I hope at least is understandable. Please let me know if what I thought will be possible.
Thank you.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does this keep coming up... yes there is a way to use a "short deck" (DE and rev-ups)... but im not going to tell you

Cant use an 09 Maxima timing cover because the accesories are all in the wrong spot (P/S too low, Altenator is on the wrong side... A/C will work but who needs A/C it robs power)

ECU needs to be changed to the HR ECU due to the cam and crank trigger wheels are male and not female anymore, Requiring wiring being changed also

HR uses 1mm smaller valves to prevent valve to valve contact at full intake advance and full exhaust retard... (never go full retard, lol) Cosworth ran into this problem building the Team USA GTR engine

HR uses the same bore and stroke as all VQ35... VQ37VHR is stroked with the same bore, VQ40 has even more stroke with the same bore

The serial # on your engine is not traceable by anymeans, the DE and Rev-up bottom end is exactly the same... same part #s the oil pump is the only difference on the bottom end... the heads are structurely the same, sam ports and external casting

Now I hope this puts this to rest... unless someone actually figures out the parts needed to do this
Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM
npr350z

Isn't the vq25hr short decked?