Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Valve work+JWT Cams requires lash adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
G.Mello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve work+JWT Cams requires lash adjust?

Hey guys I recently had some headwork done on my Revup heads (replaced leaking valve seals and had a 5 angle valve job). Before I took the heads off I didnt have any issues with lash clearances in the past. But my machinest told me that with the new valve angle job I may need to check my valve lash clearances again? Anyone had to change lifter/buckets sizes after a valve job that have run JWT S7's? If the springs and retainers are the same it shouldnt affect the lash settings?

Gurus please chime in
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Trade your cams in for c8rs!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And ask IPP. They did my built NA screamer.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
G.Mello

I like the way these cams work, smooth idle and good consistent power. Plus my budget for this year wont allow for C8's
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the valve job was done it moves the valves further up into the head (a very very small amount) the machinist that did the valve job should have set up the valve lash by kissing the top of the valve... if they are factory valves then the hardening is down to the keeper so having the valves re-hardened is not needed... if that much material is taken off then the valve and seat are trash anyways
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 AM
G.Mello

Thanks for responding John, yeah I already did the measurements and yes the valves had risen up a small amount. Instead of ordering new buckets/ lifters from Nissan I just shaved down the inside of the buckets slightly to match the OEM lash specs, .010 for intake and .011 for exhaust. Now they are perfect.

Only problem I'm having now is it won't start. I believe its flywheel related. Fuel but no spark...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
johnwigs

if the fly wheel has been removed and not installed correctly then the trigger wheel (attatched to the flywheel) will not work correctly... also if the cams are not timed correctly then the engine wont start either, as for the fly wheel there is a small pin on the back of the crank and the flywheel has a hole that it goes in... if it was installed incorrectly the pin gets pushed into the crank... it just needs to be lined up
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 AM
G.Mello

Well it ended up not being the flywheel but one ground not attached now im having P0300 random misfire and excessive unburned fuel on bank 1. cylinder 5 had a lot of carbon on the spark plug and was wet. Already replaced spark plugs and checked coil packs on cylinders 1-5 and they seemed ok. my guess is the injectors, but I checked the continuity on all 6 and they all kinda inconsistent. I have a set of GTR injectors I could install but Im unsure if they will work properly without a different tune as I only have fuel maps for my current injectors? Would these work on a stock fuel map or should I wait till I get a tune? Also If I unplug my bank 1 upstream o2 sensor the idle will smooth out a bit but its still misses slightly, plug it back in and it gets rough again...

Tony

Last edited by G.Mello; 01-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
johnwigs

DO NOT USE GTR INJECTORS! they are 555cc that is way too much fuel for NA unless you are doing near 550hp... I would check the blue connector on the B1 valve cover, it is a sub harness for coil packs 1 and 3, also it has the B1 VTC solenoid attatched to it... other misfire problems I see is the number 4 and 6 coil connectors hooked up backwards, pay close attention in these areas
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
G.Mello

Well figured it all out. Somehow the main wire harness had gotten too cloce to my new headers and melted in a small area causing 2 wires to fuse together and ground out, one of the said wires happened to be the white/purple wire going to the #5 coil pack. This all made since since occasionally I would get a P0305 code with the P0300 once in a while. I kept swapping coil packs, spark plugs and injecters and couldn't figure it out. So finally I decided it had to be either the wiring or ecu. The GTR injectors actually ran pretty good but of course without a tune for them they were a tad too much. Put my stocksinjectors back in and the car runs like brand new. Thanks for the advice on the buckets/ lifters Johnwigs, much appreciated

Last edited by G.Mello; 01-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.