Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Mike Upton's 3" intake + Z1 headers + what cams? [HR]

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mike Upton's 3" intake + Z1 headers + what cams? [HR]

So far I only did 2,25 decats with 2x2,25 -> 2,5" exhaust. I am planning to get Mike's intake and Z1 short headers. Which cams should I get for the best performance of my NA track car without the need to touch anything but the cams and valve springs? Tomei, JWT ...? What specs?

Last edited by GodISmE; 09-21-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:16 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

who's mike?

How do you intend to tune after the cams?

Is this solely a track car or will it see street time? duration ~260 to 270

both JWT and Tomei are top of the pack ...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I'm Mike U.

What would you like to know?

I modded my stock intake [Altima 3.5vq] since I like the long runners for help in low torque, plus long runners will help bigger heads run better on the street. [this I know from my Mustang work with the old stock 5.0 intake. We could run pretty big heads without loosing low end torque due to the long runner length].

I gutted my intake, then used Edelbrock two part epoxy to smooth out the flow into the runners. Then I added and Edelbrock elbow for even less resistance, and for ease of going to a bigger throttle body some day.

I used "Muggy Weld" to weld the cast aluminum intake back together, along with the epoxy just for extra measure.

I'm running JWT S2 cams along with full length headers, and no cat exhaust.

Even with the auto 5 speed trans I rebuilt, the car has really surprised me. About three weeks ago a kid in a newer, orange crapero [I really hate chebby guys] got beside me, and wanted to race.

Well, there was too much traffic for that kind of stupidity. So along we go, him beside me revving his engine at every opportunity. I really didn't want to race him as I figured he would smoke me.

However, we got to the highway, and he managed to slip around some cars until he was again beside me. So I nailed the throttle [got the jump on him], and actually stayed ahead of him for a good 1/4 mile. I noticed traffic up ahead, and blipped the brakes letting him know it was over. He zoomed by me, and flipped me the bird, of course.

I'm still stunned by this as I was SURE he would dust my ***, the only reason I raced him was to get it over with. Of course I've taken a lot of weight off the car, so with me in the car I would guess curb weight would be 3300lbs, where as the crapero was around 3900lbs with driver [assuming the driver weighed 200lbs].
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 PM
M-train

Here is a shot of the intake, and adjustable fuel reg setup with catch can.

https://imgur.com/nMc5Dfw

Old 09-12-2017, 07:22 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Right on Mike - looks good! You got any progress pictures?

Originally Posted by M-train
a kid in a newer, orange crapero
kids will be kids ...

I typically look at their wheels, look their car up and down then do the black jack 'stand' hand motion ...

Last edited by bealljk; 09-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by bealljk
Right on Mike - looks good! You got any progress pictures?

kids will be kids ...

I typically look at their wheels, look their car up and down then do the black jack 'stand' hand motion ...
No progress pics, but I've been driving the car now ever since last spring.

Oh, and those $60 valve springs have held up to over 7500 rpms.

Backstory; I took a look at the available valve springs for cammed VQ engines, and they averaged a bit over/under $300.

I read the specs for these springs, and looked at a set of old Comp cam triple valve springs I had laying around, specifically the small inner spring.

I looked up the specs for the inner spring both in the open, and seat pressure, and guess what they were nearly identical to the $$$$ springs.

I didn't make a thread about it since I figured I would be pummeled by the know it alls [every forum has them]. So I waited until I actually have driven the engine for a while, and at wide open throttle.

So far no valve float, or dropped valves in approx 2k miles.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:46 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've decided to go with Tomei 272 10.8 cams. So it will be the Tomei cams, Z1 headers and 3" intakes with velocity stack filters. If each of these mods can get me +10bhp then I will be more than happy! it will be enough for my NA track car and the engine will still be reliable and hopefully problems free.

Last edited by GodISmE; 09-21-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:18 PM
M-train

Update, the "inner" comp cam springs are still doing well. I've hit 6k rpms quite a few times, but haven't been to 7500 rpms for a while now. [I've got the car for sale, so Murphys Law forbids taking spirited drives at this time].