Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Newbie looking for advice: Z vs Golf R32?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:18 AM
ex-GTV-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice: Z vs Golf R32?

So I've been reading up and quietly researching for a couple months now...
I'm looking for some input, as I cant make up my mind between 2 cars that might seem in some ways to have very different characters - the R32 and a 350z coupe. My situation is this:
- car will be a daily driver, that I would want to do some mild mods to over time, but not immediatley (eg braking / suspension, not going wild on masses of extra power eg FI)
- as far as I see it, the pluses of the R32 are a better interior, better build quality and more likely to hold its value better. Yes there are 4 seats but that doesnt matter so much to me as 99% of the time it would be me + wife
- and for the Z, I think some of the pluses are styling/looks, and all out performance (just)
- for driving experience, I've tested a 350z and was very impressed. Sharp handling, very fast - especially if pushed - but quick even when not trying that hard. Haven't driven an R32 as yet (but see below), but I know on paper at least there's little to choose in performance terms between the 2, at least on stock spec.

So I can't decide between the 2 at present - but my wife would prefer the Z - she doesnt like the look of the R32

For what its worth I've never owned a Nissan but I've had 2 Golfs before and loved them both - a Mk 1 1.8 GTi, which was just a fantastic car, and an early VR6. Amazing engine, fantastic torque, but definitely not as sharp handling wise as some other cars I've had since then (Fiat Coupe, Alfa Romeo GTV V6). Some of you might guess from these cars that I've recently moved over from the UK, but thats beside the point.

So what do you think? Favorite colors for me are metallic blue and black, but now I am getting ahead of myself ...

Thanks in advance for all your opinions on Z vs R32, in terms of driving enjoyment and whatever else you think I should know. It'd be great to hear your views especially if you've owned / driven both.

Phil
ps my budget is sub-$30k, and if I were going for a Z I would avoid '03's
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 AM
SB3FITTY

In my biased opinion I'm going to have to say quit thinking so much and go buy the Z. You will be more than happy based on what you said you are looking for. It is a beautiful car with nice stock power. My girlfriend has a vr6 and its just not really my cup of tea. Keep in mind that you should get what makes YOU happy as you will be your new ride's daily driver.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

daily driver, I would go for the R32. If performance isn't on the top of your list, I really do suggest the R32 because of the extra seats in the back (you never know when you'll need it as you said you are already married), and its more functional. But the driving experience is totally different. To me, the R32 does not allow as much driver input as the Z. So if you are going for a FUN and beautiful car, IMO go with the Z. But if you are looking for functionality for daily driving and the "fun" factor and the appearance isnt on the top of your list, then get the R32.

I think you should go drive the R32 first. After a real driving experience, you can compare the both on a more even level, and make a decision on your own. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
homiusang

I used to owned a GTI (similar to the europe's 25th anniv.) and test drove the R32 b4 I was even "thinking" of switching to the Z.
To be honest, other than a nicer interior (awesome leather seats) and other small details, I am not impressed with the performance at all, and the price for this GOLF really scares me away. Yes, the AWD is neat, but also makes the car so heavy and lack of accerlation. It can haul 4 people, but since you said it's mostly for you and your wife, 2 seater shouldn't be a problem for you. For sub-30k, you can even get a brand new 05 Enthusiast out of the door, which is nicely equipped with Xenon(which is a must for those spoiled europeans , cruise control and LSD). Why bother a 04 R32? plus golf V is coming out this fall and i am sure you don't want a car with an appearance which was 6+ years old.
if you wanna discuss it with me further about this choice, feel free to ask.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Vash350Z

You are incorrect about the resale value, the 350z is pretty much at the top of the list for retail value.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by ex-GTV-man

So I can't decide between the 2 at present - but my wife would prefer the Z - she doesnt like the look of the R32
Smart woman
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-GTV-man
- as far as I see it, the pluses of the R32 are a better interior, better build quality
I would not say that. I have had 2 buddies with newever GTIs (one 1.8T and one VR6, both with leather) and both of their Interiors showed signs of wear very early. I was also considering a GTI/R32 when I bought my 350Z, but their experiences made me forget about VWs.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Low J.
Banned

yeah, I too have buddy's with pretty new GTi's and VR6's.....they have been horrible cars that break all the time. My one friend actually got so sick of having his stock 2 year old VR6 in the shop that he just ditched it for a Tacoma pickup. VW quality has sunk lower than Hyundai in recent years....check out the JD Power quality rankings and see for yourself. With the EVO and STi out there, the R32 wouldn't have a chance for my car buying dollar.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 AM
mcduck

Default alternate solution

you can do what I did... Bought the Z and got a used 1.8T Golf for a daily driver. Only thing you lack this way is the AWD of the R32. You can pretty much mod any 1.8T to get the R32s factory power and you wouldn't have to pay for it upfront. Mod at your leisure.

I love my Z, but would hate if I had to daily drive it. Not that the drive would be bad, but I'd always be worried about parking it all day, putting commuter miles instead of fun miles on the car, etc, etc.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Sz28r

VW service reputation is just as bad as Nissan's - - so that's a push - - - looks: Z, easy choice - - resale: tough one ???

My Z is my daily driver - 70 miles a day - - I always enjoy the ride

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I've ridden in the R32 and was impressed (and I usually hate VW's). Stock exhaust sounds alike on both cars, both are quick, both look good and eye catching, but I think the VW is a little over priced. I also like the Z's interior better; it's more snug.

Andy, the R32 is a partial AWD I think.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
bloodwings19

The 2001 GTi 1.8T was one of the worst cars we've owned. The turbo blew in just 2 years, then power windows don't roll up. Abnormal wear on the driver's side door handle, plastic peeling. Dangerously, after starting the car, the dashboard does not light up at night, which meant driving in the dark for a few minutes before the lights came back on. A guy who drives a VW SUV complained about his numerous pitstops at the dealership for repairs. One of the hideous design I've seen on a car, the cup holders are on top of the CD player. So when you want to listen to a different CD, you have to hold your drink and pop the cupholder back in. Thats not the end of it, If you have a cold drink on a hot day, it will drip on the CD player and on the AC adapter below. When we traded our car, the mechanic who inspected the vehicle broke the glove compartment lever. The best thing about driving German cars is the firmness of the steering wheel and safety. A week, or two ago, we got a recall notice from VW (and we disown the car for 6 months now). That's my experience with VW, as for BMW, where is it made?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Leslie

We tried searching last year, but couldnt get a hold of one with options we wanted, all they seemed to have left (CA) were red (demos/too much miles) ones. and seeing that production has ended on them worldwide, must be even harder now(new at least), used ones most likely left. We owned 2 gti's back in 84/85 no real problems really, cept when my hubby hit a pothole and fudged the Fwd, which the dealer could never really fix right. One big prob Vw's seem to have today is the infamous window falling into the door.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
hypeiv

I don't know about "better build quality" ... Most of my friends have had a lot of problems with their VW's and isn't the warranty really short on those cars?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:22 PM
rocketrich

hypeiv, Welcome to the colonies! I also was considering the R32, its a very unique VW. I"ve driven it and was mightily impressed. I've had an '85 Golf, and still have a '90 Corrado and '02 Jetta 1.8t. In addition to the R32 I was considering the RX-8 (still love the rotary engine!) and the 350Z. If I could only have one car, it would be the R32. Its a great all around car. If you like german engineering it will reward you. It sounds great, has a great interior, and is very utilitarian with that large usable hatch space with the seats folded down. I also have a '98 Maxima 5-spd. and it has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned. So having enough multi-passenger cars in the family and having been wholly impressed with the quality of my Maxima, I opted for an '05 350Z. I like the looks, the torque, and the gas mileage. I expect that the R32 will give you more reliability issues than the Z over the long haul but in the end you have to really like what you drive, and problems can be fixed. parts compatibility for the A4 body style will be good and I suspect there will be some suspension commonlity with the A5 series of VWs as well. The Z feels like a bigger car than the R32 to me, but Nissan has won me over on quality. I expect the Z will also have a bigger aftermarket than the R32. But, the R32 will always be a rare car and a sleeper. The constabulary will notice you in a Z but will ignore you in the R-32. Drive them both before you decide! Cheers, Rich
Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
ironviet

I don't see the comparisons between a R32 and any GTI, Golf, and anything other VW. The fact that you would mention a GTI 1.8 plus some extra $ would make a car equivalent to the R32? Big mistake. Though I think you would be better off with the Z, I don't think the R32 is in the same class as the Z. The R32 is in a class of it's own. It is over-priced (meaning that though you get a nice car, anything in that price range is a better deal). The Z runs circles around this car, plus the R32 does not have much trunk space but has 4 seats. I have do notice that the german cars have a lot of electrical problems and VW service sucks like Nissan (didnt' really know being nice, listening to you customers and helping them resolve issues cost so much Audi and Infiniti but cost more).

With you being in SF, I think the Z will be also better in the long run since the R32 body is very old and resembles all of it's siblings except with better parts. I don't think you'll benefit that much from the AWD in SF so taking that out of the equation, buy what fits you best.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 PM
time4aspliff

I think the R32 is a pretty cool car but when you draw a comparison with the the Z33, we've got an apples and oranges scenario. They're completely different animals.

With that said, I've seen a few (R32's) on the road and I must say that the exhaust note is very tasteful. I was actually shocked the first time I heard one take off. In my opinion, it sounds better than a standard 911. I never thought I would say this but in a way, the 911 sounds more like a VW than the R32.

Also, there is an aftermarket for the R32. One of "best of cars" at SEMA was a turbocharged monster R32 with a built motor and 600hp to all four wheels.

Personally, I chose the Z but everyones needs/tastes differ. I'm single so practicality wasn't a huge issue.

Good luck. Either way, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 PM
35oZephyR

Lot's of things mentioned before:
1.) R32's design will be replaced by a new common Golf body soon.
2.) Alot of things in it's price rage out perform it (e.g. Evo, STi, lightly modded Wrx for cheaper)
3.) Close to 30k for a Golf body, I'd expect it to run circles around everything else. Not going to happen, unless you send the car to HPA and spend a little more.

BTW:
Welcome to Sunny California.
And as much as I dig mod'd GTi's and R32's, you're in California mate!

Leave the hot hatches back in the U.K.!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
boma

I used to have a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T 5 speed with all the options.

It was a great little car.

Here's what I noticed:

Cons:
Car had some small rattles after only 500 miles
Cupholder drips onto the coin holder/ac outlet spot. But there is a cover you slide over it.
Doesn't have the wow factor.
Monsoon Radio not that great (sounds awesome compared to the Z Bose though)
Mods are expensive and not cheaper to mod than the Z at all.

Pros:
I spent about 1.2k on engine mods, and it was just as fast as a stock Z from 0-100mph.
Strong body panels that don't dent easily (somehow the door molding caught the doors that were swung at them; which almost never happens) I couldn't find a single dent after owning it for 24k miles.
Way more room than the Z, that hatchback combined with the folding back seats gives it almost mini van like storage.
Better Gas mileage 25/31
Sunroof Option

I still went Z b/c I always wanted a coupe sports car. But I do miss the GTI sometimes.

That's all I can think of.

www.vwvortex.com more info
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Z BOY

listen to your wife.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice: Z vs Golf R32?