Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Just got a Z and have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Tommy100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a Z and have some questions...

I just bought an 06 Grand Touring Edition yesterday and this is my first post here!

So my question is this.... the car is basically stock... well, it has a Nismo cold air intake and a Motordyne Plenum spacer and that's it. There are several things I would like to do to the car but I'm not sure in what order they should be done.

I would like to do the following:

Get some high flow cats (that still pass CA emissions)
Get a nice throaty sounding exhaust
Lower the car about an inch (maybe inch and a half)
I like the Nismo v2 front bumper but I'm not crazy about the side skirts or the little add ons to the rear end so I'm still looking. I really like the Vertex sides and rear but I'm not crazy about the front bumper.
It currently has a factory Nismo wing but it just doesn't look right on the stock car (at least it doesn't look right to me). Maybe it will all come together when the body is done... otherwise, I like the smaller wing that flattens the hatch out.

So which one of these upgrades do I do first? I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't lower the car or do the exhaust until I get the body kit on it to make sure everything fits right... does that make sense?

There wouldn't happen to be a one-stop Z shop near Santa Monica would there? We also travel to the OC often (Fountain Valley area) so maybe one there?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pics of it soon... and I'll show you some pics (from your own cars I'm sure) of the parts I like and see if we can put something nice together for this Z.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Phill361

Received 1,242 Likes on 944 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...to-your-z.html

This thread may help you.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I think you should do new wheels or exhaust first. Then hfc, lower it and work on the engine. And lastly you should do body kit.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Tommy100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the other post about new Z owners modding, I probably will stick to the -.8" drop to keep the camber correct. That was great info.. I had no Idea.

After reading that, I know that I am mostly into aesthetics. A tune, hfc and exhaust is probably all I'll do for speed unless there is another mod that keeps the car reliable, increases hp and is fairly cheap.

stevehl, why wouldn't you do the hfc at the same time as the exhaust?

Truth is, I might do it ALL at once. I kept a reasonable budget aside for the mods. Like I said, If you guys know of a one-stop shop in the West side (or in the OC), let me know. I'd love to just drop it off with someone reputable and let them do it all. How about this Corner3 Garage place? That's just past my in laws so I could drop it off there on a weekend visit and leave it for however long they need. They get good reviews here.