Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Prospective New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
NismoRB26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective New Owner

Hello All. I am currently looking at getting a either a WRX or 350z within the next couple of months. Although I am heavily leaning towards the 350 after a hard debate. I know 350's aren't the easiest cars to modify, because many of the parts are expensive, but I believe that a true enthusiast modifies cars because they love it, regardless of price. Anyway I know that there are different motors to choose from, the VQ35DE or the VQ35HR. Now I come from driving a Tiburon and SRT-4 in the past. I will eventually want to go FI, but want to go NA first so that I can learn the car. My question is, which motor will be the better choice for this route, the DE or the HR?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
07sanmarino

Originally Posted by NismoRB26
Hello All. I am currently looking at getting a either a WRX or 350z within the next couple of months. Although I am heavily leaning towards the 350 after a hard debate. I know 350's aren't the easiest cars to modify, because many of the parts are expensive, but I believe that a true enthusiast modifies cars because they love it, regardless of price. Anyway I know that there are different motors to choose from, the VQ35DE or the VQ35HR. Now I come from driving a Tiburon and SRT-4 in the past. I will eventually want to go FI, but want to go NA first so that I can learn the car. My question is, which motor will be the better choice for this route, the DE or the HR?
If this will be your DD than think long and hard over this. The Z is simply not meant for winters though it can make it through with the right set of tires. Also, as you mentioned a $1000 will get you very far performance-wise with an WRX, not so much with a Z. I feel the same way as you, I love my Z but realize it definitely wasn't the practical choice- at times I've considered selling it and getting either a G35x or STI but ultimately decided to keep my car and get a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires instead. I think you'll have to really find the balance between what you're really looking for.

Other than mostly car enthusiasts, WRX's won't turn many heads and there are lot of them here in New England, whereas the 350z will always put a smile on your face and get you compliments on looks alone. As far as the 350z goes, get the HR hands down. For the little extra you pay you'll get the fastest production year 350z and save yourself the money you'd spend in extra mods just to catch up to the HR.

Lastly, have you test driven both? These are two completely different cars, the WRX has the traction to get you going in a hurry from a get go but is not as planted and lose steam quickly at the higher speeds. Whereas the Z, though slower off the line, is no slouch at higher speeds and really shines at the higher speeds once it gets going. AWD is a huge plus for the winters but might get boring during the spring and summer months. Either way you can't go wrong, good luck (btw, I used to own a tiburon also).

Last edited by 07sanmarino; 08-31-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM
NismoRB26

It will be my Daily Driver, and although it may not be the most practical, I am more than prepared to deal with whatever challenges come along the way. As far as test driving, I have tested the 02-05 WRX's which are the models that I considered, and it just felt like it runs out of breath to quickly. Perhaps it was the lack of a powerband and an extremely tiny turbo. The 350z I haven't test driven, but I have been in a couple, and although I wouldn't describe it as fast, I'd describe it as quick, and pretty decent when it comes to the twisties.

Originally Posted by 07sanmarino
If this will be your DD than think long and hard over this. The Z is simply not meant for winters though it can make it through with the right set of tires. Also, as you mentioned a $1000 will get you very far performance-wise with an WRX, not so much with a Z. I feel the same way as you, I love my Z but realize it definitely wasn't the practical choice- at times I've considered selling it and getting either a G35x or STI but ultimately decided to keep my car and get a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires instead. I think you'll have to really find the balance between what you're really looking for.

Other than mostly car enthusiasts, WRX's won't turn many heads and there are lot of them here in New England, whereas the 350z will always put a smile on your face and get you compliments on looks alone. As far as the 350z goes, get the HR hands down. For the little extra you pay you'll get the fastest production year 350z and save yourself the money you'd spend in extra mods just to catch up to the HR.

Lastly, have you test driven both? These are two completely different cars, the WRX has the traction to get you going in a hurry from a get go but is not as planted and lose steam quickly at the higher speeds. Whereas the Z, though slower off the line, is no slouch at higher speeds and really shines at the higher speeds once it gets going. AWD is a huge plus for the winters but might get boring during the spring and summer months. Either way you can't go wrong, good luck (btw, I used to own a tiburon also).
Old 08-31-2010, 06:14 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoRB26
My question is, which motor will be the better choice for this route, the DE or the HR?
This question goes back about 4 years. Plenty of lively debate throughout the forum: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-worth-it.html
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM
TPete19

Get an HR. Be sure you know what model it is (base does not have a VLSD rear end or cruise). If you've got the money, get one that's still under the bumper to bumper warranty. I got mine with about 6 months left on the warranty and saved about a grand in little BS problems the previous owner didn't fix.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HR for sure, but I think you need to figure out what your budget is first.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you go with the VQ35DE or VQ35HR?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably went the boxer route.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
NewJoyZ

Miata FTW! oh wait...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so did you end up getting the Z? which part of jersey are you from?