New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Owner of a 2008 350z!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
TheDonZone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner of a 2008 350z!

Hey folks,

Just bought what is essentially the most recent version of my dream car I can afford. Got a 2008 350z base model with only 36k miles on it! I have been a Z lover ever since 2010 when I bought a 1987 300ZX for $700. Had it for a couple of years and loved it! So when I started a new job that did not provide a company vehicle (sad face), I decided it was time to get something I knew I'd enjoy. Went to the first place I found that had a MT and ran with it.

This seems like a great forum and there seems to be a huge amount of information here, which is good, since I don't know much about cars (yet!). Expect to see me with lots of questions but know that I always share what answers I find.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

What color did you get?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 PM
TheDonZone

Originally Posted by dcains
What color did you get?
Nogaro Red I believe is what it's called.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 AM
iLockUP253

Welcome to the forums
And your right there is a TON of info on here
Pictures???
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!
Any plans to mod?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Welcome.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by TheDonZone
Nogaro Red I believe is what it's called.
Nice - that's my favorite Z color. I shopped for months before I bought my '08, and just couldn't find a 6MT car in that color.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 AM
TheDonZone

Originally Posted by iLockUP253
Welcome to the forums
And your right there is a TON of info on here
Pictures???
Well I tried for like 20 minutes to upload a picture or two but the upload window just goes to a white screen and stays there, so I will try again later.

I am planning to mod it eventually but not being a car guy, it is going to cost me a lot more than most since I have to pay for labor or risk DIY. Guess we'll see! It is a 6MT by the way, although I'm not 100% if it's a base or not, because it does have cruise control, Bose and navigation although it could be an aftermarket navigation.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 AM
iLockUP253

Well glad you like it and with the DIY a lot of the DIY threads break it down so well. But something's I'm in the same boat as you I don't wanna touch certain things
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 AM
TheDonZone

Originally Posted by iLockUP253
Well glad you like it and with the DIY a lot of the DIY threads break it down so well. But something's I'm in the same boat as you I don't wanna touch certain things
Yeah I've been encouraged by quite a few people that a lot of the bolt on mods are easily done as long as you follow instructions. Just a matter of doing my research and figuring out where I want to start.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I see that you are in Kansas City. You might check out the Heart of America Z Club. http://www.hazcc.com/index
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by TheDonZone
Well I tried for like 20 minutes to upload a picture or two but the upload window just goes to a white screen and stays there, so I will try again later.

I am planning to mod it eventually but not being a car guy, it is going to cost me a lot more than most since I have to pay for labor or risk DIY. Guess we'll see! It is a 6MT by the way, although I'm not 100% if it's a base or not, because it does have cruise control, Bose and navigation although it could be an aftermarket navigation.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Definitely, not a Base. Could be an Enthusiast (if it has cloth seats), a Touring (if it has leather seats), or a Grand Touring (if it has the Brembo brakes and Rays forged wheels). There are other model differences, but those are the big, obvious ones.

Best way to post pics is to store them on a free hosting service (photobucket, picasa, flickr, etc.), and then post the links to the pics in your post here.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.

To upload a picture (when replying to or creating a new thread), scroll down to Additional Options - Attach Files - Manage Attachments. You can also host pictures on a third party website such as Photobucket or ImageShack and paste the URL here between [IMG][/IMG] tags.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM
TheDonZone

Here we go. It does have leather seats, but as far as I can tell it doesn't have some of the other things that the Enthusiast or higher should have. This is from the Top 100 Commonly Asked Questions post here on my350z:

Model Breakdown (2007-2008):

*All models received the new 306hp VQHR motor.*

Base:Bi-xenon HID's, 18" five-spoke rims, 6-speed MT only. No VSLD or cruise control.

Enthusiast: Adds TCS, VLSD, Cruise Control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, aluminum pedals, Illuminated audio controls on steering wheel. Availble with MT or AT.

Touring: Adds VDC (manual only), Bose Audio w/ MP3 playback
capability, leather seats w/ power and heat. Available with MT or AT.

Grand Touring: Adds Brembo brakes and Rays Rims from Track model, underbody aero package, Bose sound system, and leather seats. Available with MT or AT.

Nismo: Adds Brembo Braking system, factory-Nismo aero package, OEM Nismo suspension setup, lightweight Rays rims (18"x8.5" Front, 19x9.5" rear). MT only.

As far as I can tell (not being a car guy), I don't have VLSD, TCS or VDC, no buttons on the steering wheel of any kind. The cruise control is activated/adjusted with a VERY moveable stalk (I can literally move this thing pointing straight down to almost pointing straight up if I want to, as well as forward and back a bit) on the left side of the steering column, not with buttons on the steering wheel.

Further evidence that the navigation/sound system is aftermarket (by the way, couldn't find a BOSE name anywhere, so I could be wrong about that; I got that off of the feature sheet the dealership gave me [not a Nissan dealership]) that I just thought of is that I had to have the dealership install the GPS antenna and microphone because they were both still wrapped in plastic sitting in the cubby behind the passenger seat looking like they'd never been opened. Putting some pictures up for you guys so you can take a look.

NOTE: Click on the thumbnail to be taken to the full picture. Let me know if there are any issues.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM
dcains

Holy @$%#^ - WTF is that cruise control thing? I'd trash that ASAP, and I can't imagine it even works, since the Z doesn't have any mechanical throttle linkage. Strange, some of the things people will do to a perfectly good car. Otherwise, the leather looks nice and the headunit looks like it's installed properly. The Bose is garbage, so be glad you didn't have that, and the open LSD is a simple upgrade.

Anyway, it's a Base for sure, but still a very nice looking Z. Kudos for reading the "Top 100", as that's the best place to start.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
TheDonZone

Holy @$%#^ - WTF is that cruise control thing? I'd trash that ASAP, and I can't imagine it even works, since the Z doesn't have any mechanical throttle linkage. Strange, some of the things people will do to a perfectly good car. Otherwise, the leather looks nice and the headunit looks like it's installed properly. The Bose is garbage, so be glad you didn't have that, and the open LSD is a simple upgrade.

Anyway, it's a Base for sure, but still a very nice looking Z. Kudos for reading the "Top 100", as that's the best place to start.
Yeah, I thought it was lol. The cruise control thing actually isn't that bad. I normally have it sitting up behind the turn signal lever. I just moved it down for the picture. The cruise control itself seems to work kind of weird though. When I set the speed, the car speeds up to 3-5mph past where I hit the set button, then slows down to almost 3-5 below the setting, then finally settles where I put it. I don't use it very often, but I also don't know how to remove it so I guess it's staying for now. The sound system isn't that great but I'm sure I could improve it with a sub and some better speakers in the back (mostly the sound just doesn't really travel from the back speakers well). Not being a car guy, could you put in layman's terms what the limited slip differential does? Thanks a lot for helping me identify what model I have by the way. I was very confused about that lol.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM
dcains

With an "open" diff, the wheel with the least resistance gets the power. So, imagine one wheel on ice, one on dry pavement - the wheel on ice gets all the power and the car goes nowhere. Extreme scenario, but the same happens when you accelerate out of a corner, and the inside wheel (with less traction, because it's got less weight on it) gets all the power, which is a real-world example. takes all the fun out of a rear-wheel drive car.

An LSD does the opposite, so the power goes the wheel (or both wheels) with traction. Better in just regular driving, but also in adverse conditions, like rain/snow. Which type of LSD to install, there are several, is a whole can of worms you probably don't need to get into now.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 AM
TheDonZone

With an "open" diff, the wheel with the least resistance gets the power. So, imagine one wheel on ice, one on dry pavement - the wheel on ice gets all the power and the car goes nowhere. Extreme scenario, but the same happens when you accelerate out of a corner, and the inside wheel (with less traction, because it's got less weight on it) gets all the power, which is a real-world example. takes all the fun out of a rear-wheel drive car.

An LSD does the opposite, so the power goes the wheel (or both wheels) with traction. Better in just regular driving, but also in adverse conditions, like rain/snow. Which type of LSD to install, there are several, is a whole can of worms you probably don't need to get into now.
Makes sense! Thanks for explaining it. I live in Missouri so I'm sure that getting LSD installed would make for easier driving in the nastiness that are the winters around here.

I appreciate all the welcomes and thank you for the information dcains! I'll let this thread end here since I think I've worn out the welcome of it all. I'll see you guys around the boards!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Blu Hvn

Hi DonZone! CongratZ on the purchase! Your car has me confused but it does appear to have aftermarket cruise and, most likely, leather seat covers.

Thanks to Korner Karver for mentioning Heart of America Z Car Club. We are meeting tomorrow night, Yuesday March 11 at 7 pm at Brewbakers in Lenexa.
http://www.hazcc.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4153

Quick Reply: New Owner of a 2008 350z!