Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New owner looking to make more power

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 PM
importdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner looking to make more power

Hey guys so i bought an 05 350z about 2 weeks ago and the car came with around 72,00 miles on the engine and tranny. Also came with cat back HKS exhaust and Injen intake i understand both make little to none gains on power. Now i managed to stay underbudget only buying the car for $8,500. I am hoping with everyones help here i could get a list of options as to what i could do to make a noticable difference in power as i know very little about these VQ motors. I have just under 3,000 to put into the car. Please I understand that I am new to the whole 350z thing im trying to learn as much as I can, but i don't know many people with a Big Power 350z. P.S. I am also wondering if anyone has ever done a semi-big single turbo build on stock internals please let me know if this is possible as i like this and i think i could make decent power for the amount of money i have with a single turbo on stock internals but dont know what my risks are in doing this. I await everyones feed back as im excited to see whats possible.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

youre not going to be able to turbo a g35 or a 350 for 3k.... best bet, learn to drive the car. go to driving school because i doubt you can unlock 50% of the cars power.

then with the 3k invest in suspesion mods. if you wanted a fast 1/4 car for cheap, you bought the wrong platform
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by importdude
Hey guys so i bought an 05 350z about 2 weeks ago and the car came with around 72,00 miles on the engine and tranny. Also came with cat back HKS exhaust and Injen intake i understand both make little to none gains on power. Now i managed to stay underbudget only buying the car for $8,500. I am hoping with everyones help here i could get a list of options as to what i could do to make a noticable difference in power as i know very little about these VQ motors. I have just under 3,000 to put into the car. Please I understand that I am new to the whole 350z thing im trying to learn as much as I can, but i don't know many people with a Big Power 350z. P.S. I am also wondering if anyone has ever done a semi-big single turbo build on stock internals please let me know if this is possible as i like this and i think i could make decent power for the amount of money i have with a single turbo on stock internals but dont know what my risks are in doing this. I await everyones feed back as im excited to see whats possible.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 PM
importdude

Originally Posted by turboed350z
youre not going to be able to turbo a g35 or a 350 for 3k.... best bet, learn to drive the car. go to driving school because i doubt you can unlock 50% of the cars power.

then with the 3k invest in suspesion mods. if you wanted a fast 1/4 car for cheap, you bought the wrong platform
I understand in building the car off 3,000 will get me nowhere im just asking for the best starting point in building the car.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
turboed350z

I understand in building the car off 3,000 will get me nowhere im just asking for the best starting point in building the car.
i told you where to start.... by actually learning to drive the car...
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
importdude

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Thank you i will certianly bookmark this
Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
importdude

Originally Posted by turboed350z
i told you where to start.... by actually learning to drive the car...
I ignored your comment the first time as if you asume this is my first time driving a 350z. my friend let me borrow is 03 as he was rather wealthy and got himself a Bmw and i drove it for a year plus. And yes it was a stick.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
turboed350z

I ignored your comment the first time as if you asume this is my first time driving a 350z. my friend let me borrow is 03 as he was rather wealthy and got himself a Bmw and i drove it for a year plus. And yes it was a stick.
theres more to driving than just banging gears.... again, most cant take the car to the limit, start there...
Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

Thank you i will certianly bookmark this
It's an old thread but still relevant.

Also, you may want to check out some of the FAQ threads and use the search function before starting new threads to avoid the flaming.

Oh, and be sure to attend Mic's driving school.

Congrats on the new Z. Be sure to post pics in the new owner thread.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM
importdude

Also, you may want to check out some of the FAQ threads and use the search function before starting new threads to avoid the flaming.

Congrats on the new Z. Be sure to post pics in the new owner thread.
Maybe... unfortunately i am ashamed of the Plasti dip Ruff rims the owner before me put on...
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

No reason to be ashamed of the condition. Check out the top 100 questions sticky thread... Then google questions with my350z... Everything you can think of has been covered a million times...

3,000 you can get bolt ons ans a tune... Its not going to be much faster but it will sound different and have a little more pep...

Change up the gears, probably best bang for the buck performance mod... Get some light weight wheels... That should take care of your $3000
Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG...... must..... resist........ MMMMMMFFFFFFF.......

Awwfuggid....

BUWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Fridge Gnome

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The best place to start depends on where you want to end up. If you do anything competitive, wheels and tires are probably the best place to start. If you spend it carefully, 3k can get you pretty far along as far as handling mods go. Say half of it on wheels and tires and the other on suspension. If you just want power, your best bet is to keep saving up. Power isn't cheap on the Z

Last edited by Fridge Gnome; 01-07-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome
The best place to start depends on where you want to end up. If you do anything competitive, wheels and tires are probably the best place to start. If you spend it carefully, 3k can get you pretty far along as far as handling mods go. Say half of it on wheels and tires and the other on suspension. If you just want power, your best bet is to keep saving up. Power isn't cheap on the Z, NA mods might get you a little past 300 at best.
i would say 250 ish (mustang dyno) my hr with full bolt ons and tune i hit 286 on a mustang dyno

if you want inflated ego dyno numbers, find a dynapack
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Fridge Gnome

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i would say 250 ish (mustang dyno) my hr with full bolt ons and tune i hit 286 on a mustang dyno

if you want inflated ego dyno numbers, find a dynapack
^this, I was thinking hr numbers.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 PM
importdude

Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome
The best place to start depends on where you want to end up. If you do anything competitive, wheels and tires are probably the best place to start. If you spend it carefully, 3k can get you pretty far along as far as handling mods go. Say half of it on wheels and tires and the other on suspension. If you just want power, your best bet is to keep saving up. Power isn't cheap on the Z
im mostly going to be using it as my daily but i still want my final build to consist of a borg warner single turbo build on forged internals/cams/intake manifold/etc but id like to avoid any unessesary puchases if possible
Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

start here: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Do NOT I repeat start taking advice from here: Turdoed350z

he will tell you, you need to balance your CAMshafts because they dont come balanced from the factory........ *facepalm*

he will tell you it will cost in excess of $35,000 dollars for 400whp.

wait patiently importdude, plenty of forum members put their kits up for sale for a 1/3 of the cost of the full retail price. I know many members sell their used greddy TT kits around 3-3.5k includes both ecu and injectors. on this forum check the turbo classifieds...... If you can get access to a garage buy a jack and jack stands and 300 dollar toolset from home depot and do the install yourself. Then tow car to shop for tune or call a tuner to make a house visit. I would say you need about 4k for 400 whp 7-8psi on stock internals.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM
importdude

Originally Posted by Justin100
start here: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Do NOT I repeat start taking advice from here: Turdoed350z

he will tell you, you need to balance your CAMshafts because they dont come balanced from the factory........ *facepalm*

he will tell you it will cost in excess of $35,000 dollars for 400whp.

wait patiently importdude, plenty of forum members put their kits up for sale for a 1/3 of the cost of the full retail price. I know many members sell their used greddy TT kits around 3-3.5k includes both ecu and injectors. on this forum check the turbo classifieds...... If you can get access to a garage buy a jack and jack stands and 300 dollar toolset from home depot and do the install yourself. Then tow car to shop for tune or call a tuner to make a house visit. I would say you need about 4k for 400 whp 7-8psi on stock internals.
Thank You for anwsering my questions and i did some research everyone seems to recommend the Turbonetics kit for single turbo builds but i dont know the legitimicy of the company as opposed to Greddy

Quick Reply: New owner looking to make more power