Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New 350Z owner with TPMS problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:16 PM
sanchezm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 350Z owner with TPMS problem

I own a newly purchased 2006 Nissan 350Z coupe base model, with 6-speed manual transmission. I need help finding the mysterious "Tire Pressure Warning Check Connector" for the TPMS Sensors. I'm told it is a single white colored wire attached to a white female connector. I have searched online and on several Nissan forums with no luck. Many have stated where it is on their vehicle, but I look in these places and can't find it. Some have said it's under the dash near the data link connector and others have said it was on the passenger side way up under the air bag dash cover. It seems to me that Nissan would have made this connector easily accessible, especially for their technicians to find at the dealership. I replaced a bad TPMS sensor in one wheel myself (not that hard to do) and now want to reset/relearn the tire pressure for each tire. But cannot find this dang connector? If anyone knows the true location of this connector for a 2006 or newer 350Z I would be most grateful. Please give a detailed description, with photos if possible. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The dealer doesn't do it that way. Keep looking, it's there.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ring-tpms.html
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I just use an Autel TS501 TPMS tool. Fishing around for a wire under the 350Z's dash isn't that big a deal, but it's just for this car. The tool sets you up for any make and model for about $250.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 PM
sanchezm

Cool Finally found it, on paper anyways.

Thanks you for the input and link to photos and harness illustrations. I found the same harness pages from the 2006 350Z manual today while doing some research. Looks a lot like, if not identical to what was posted. I will somehow maneuver myself under the passenger side dash and try to find that connection. Now I'll glad I'm not too big! I've been under there before and don't remember liking it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I got to the wire in my '08 by literally sitting in the passenger seat upside-down. Feet over the headrest, head and shoulders on the floor. Not easy at my age, but that was the only way I could get to it.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
I got to the wire in my '08 by literally sitting in the passenger seat upside-down. Feet over the headrest, head and shoulders on the floor. Not easy at my age, but that was the only way I could get to it.
What, no pictures?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 AM
sanchezm

Hello All, I tried the reset/relearn procedure yesterday on my TPMS sensors and had no luck I have read several articles and forums regarding the process of resetting/relearning TPMS sensors. They all mention that when the vehicle is in the learn mode the tire pressure symbol on the dash will flash slowly. But what is slowly? I can get it to flash, but don't know if it's flashing slowly or not? Read more forum articles today and am going to try some new procedures when I get home. They are all very similar, with minor tweaks regarding what actually worked for them. Some people have luck completing the procedure and others don't. Unless they have the same make, model, and year vehicle. This is the only thing I don't like about my Nissan, so far!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchezm
Hello All, I tried the reset/relearn procedure yesterday on my TPMS sensors and had no luck I have read several articles and forums regarding the process of resetting/relearning TPMS sensors. They all mention that when the vehicle is in the learn mode the tire pressure symbol on the dash will flash slowly. But what is slowly? I can get it to flash, but don't know if it's flashing slowly or not? Read more forum articles today and am going to try some new procedures when I get home. They are all very similar, with minor tweaks regarding what actually worked for them. Some people have luck completing the procedure and others don't. Unless they have the same make, model, and year vehicle. This is the only thing I don't like about my Nissan, so far!
Dude, why don't you just take it to a tire dealer? - takes five minutes, they will probably do it for zero dollars...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM
sanchezm

I will do that soon, but want to try a couple of other methods mentioned in this forum first. Several members mention that Belle Tire or Discount Tire will do it for free. The dealer will be my last resort, because they charge for EVERYTHING.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

If the light is flashing and not staying constantly lit, it's in learn mode at that point. The procedure can be a little tricky. It took me a couple tries but it worked for me. Double-check all the tire pressures to make sure they're correct according to the thread that dcains posted previously.

If it still doesn't work - confirm that the TPMS in the wheels still work and none of the batteries are dead. OR, maybe another possibility, the installed TPMS may not be compatible with your year. I think the frequencies changed at some point.

Last time I was in NTB, they said they register TPMS free of charge. Not sure if you have those up in MI.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM
sanchezm

Thanks for the info Heel Til I Die. No we don't have NTB's in Michigan. But I just got off the phone with Belle Tire and Discount Tire. Both will perform the process for free. So I will save myself any more time and effort and take it to them tomorrow to work their magic. I bought a Schrader brand TPMS sensor new on Ebay and was assured that it would work for my specific vehicle. If they sold me a dud I'll know by tomorrow and contact the seller. I think you are correct about the tire pressures being as exact as can be. It would have been nice to do this myself and feel a sense of accomplishment. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:58 PM
sanchezm

UPDATE: I went to my local Discount Tire today after work to get the TPMS sensors reprogrammed and working again. It could not have been easier and at no cost. The technician had the right tool to reprogram the sensors on my vehicle in about 5 minutes total. All he said I needed to do afterwards was drive it around for a few minutes above 25 mph and I should see the PSI for each tire on the gauge. Sure enough, as soon I left the parking lot and hit 25 mph the PSI gauge was working for the front and rear tires. I was amazed and relieved that the PSI gauge was working again and the tire warning dash light was finally off again. All is well until the next sensor fails any ways.