New Owners Welcome to the Family!

My first Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Jonuniv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My first Nissan

Hi there.
I'm a Honda/Acura-man, so I tried to find s2k first. Unfortunately, they're in yellow only and it's, as my wife said, "BY FAR NOT as attractive as orange").

We both found what we wanted in this car: 350z in orange color was her dream (the rest doesn't matter) and I wanted convertible, MT and 07+ (just in case, the newer the better). So here we are:

Two previous owners (each owned it for 5 years), bone stock. Never ever changed anything in suspension or any fluids except oil (with some no-name filter).

Can't find the appropriate place for logging of everything I've already done, so want to put it here:
- fluids (transmission, differential, engine oil with K&N)
- OEM air filters
- wipers and a dozen of different clips and screws under the hood and under the car
- OEM serpentine belt (almost fell apart)
- rear shocks (Bilstein B6) with bushings
- removed transmission and ordered South Bend Stage 2 Daily kit (with South Bend flywheel) + ZSP CSC HD

I'm very pleased with the car and amazed how easy all repairs go, everything located so convenient. And this forum has tons of useful info, thank to DIY section.

Now I'm trying to find (or rent) transmission jack, not sure I can put it back without it. Does anybody know where to get it in CA Bay Area? Otherwise will just buy the adapter for my jack.
Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (06-07-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Nice find - you don't see many Solar Orange Z's, and especially a roadster. Did you know that color was only available in '07?

I'd buy a trans adapter for the floor jack, as it's another tool in the arsenal, and they're not terribly expensive. I used to be able to muscle a trans back into position from my chest, but not any more, so I got mine from Harbor Freight about a decade ago and it couldn't have been more than $30.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Dan Garcia

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

welcome to the forum and congrats, orange you glad you got a 350Z.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Jonuniv

Originally Posted by dcains
Nice find - you don't see many Solar Orange Z's, and especially a roadster. Did you know that color was only available in '07?
I've read somewhere that HR in orange is pretty rare, didn't think that it's only one 07 year, probably I got lucky!
Btw, mileage is 71k (clutch is OEM, shocks are too .. I think air filters as well).
And I really like these seats (partially ventilated), the photo after I removed transmission yesterday:

The condition is not perfect, but Ok for 10 years old car.

Thanks for the jack adapter tip, I'm considering it. The only thing why I haven't bought it yet is that I need it for the one time operation.
If I don't find it before my clutch kit arrives - I'll definitely go with Harborfreight.

I have a list of my next activities with this great car:
1. Interior door handles and other necessary parts paint (with Dupli-color Trim paint, not Trim & Fender, found the old one).
2. I'm going to replace brushes in 5th roof motor (this tutorial).
3. Elastic roof straps (this DIY).
4. From what I see next is TPMS light, not critical, but annoying. Probably sensor, tried this tutorial, didn't help.
5. This thing will come up soon I think.
6. Need to clean and protect thoroughly the softtop (303 stuff, advised somewhere on this forum).
7. And I'm very optimistic about THIS.
8. Probably resurface front rotors + brake pads. There are twin-piston calipers (not Brembo), but the shape is not good.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonuniv
I've read somewhere that HR in orange is pretty rare, didn't think that it's only one 07 year, probably I got lucky!
Btw, mileage is 71k (clutch is OEM, shocks are too .. I think air filters as well).
And I really like these seats (partially ventilated), the photo after I removed transmission yesterday:

The condition is not perfect, but Ok for 10 years old car.

Thanks for the jack adapter tip, I'm considering it. The only thing why I haven't bought it yet is that I need it for the one time operation.
If I don't find it before my clutch kit arrives - I'll definitely go with Harborfreight.

I have a list of my next activities with this great car:
1. Interior door handles and other necessary parts paint (with Dupli-color Trim paint, not Trim & Fender, found the old one).
2. I'm going to replace brushes in 5th roof motor (this tutorial).
3. Elastic roof straps (this DIY).
4. From what I see next is TPMS light, not critical, but annoying. Probably sensor, tried this tutorial, didn't help.
5. This thing will come up soon I think.
6. Need to clean and protect thoroughly the softtop (303 stuff, advised somewhere on this forum).
7. And I'm very optimistic about THIS.
8. Probably resurface front rotors + brake pads. There are twin-piston calipers (not Brembo), but the shape is not good.
Love this car my friend! Love the rare colors. I have a Mag Black 06 ZR, lmk if I can help you with anything!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

What a clean car, you may say it's not perfect, but pretty dang good for 10+ year old car with 2 owners under its belt. I wonder how it would look with the clear side-marker reflectors instead of that orange. Hmm...

Solar orange is pretty rare for HR. All I seen are blacks, white, silvers, blue.
I would jump on the curb rash repair for sure. 303 been pretty good product for an all-round cleaner.
Jonuniv (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Curious what you think of the ergonomics of a Nissan vs. the Hondas you've owned? The controls on the Z are both simple, yet elegant. Just drove a '17 Civic Si sport and noticed how much better the feel of something like the gearshift throws are. What're your thoughts?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, Jonuniv.

Hot car. I like the color.. Hell, I like all the Z colors. Interior looks to be in good shape, particularly the seats, despite it being a convertible. And I would just get the transmission adapter for your floor jack. You never know. You may need/want it down the road again. Enjoy your Z.

-Matt
Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Jonuniv

Originally Posted by jhc
Love this car my friend! Love the rare colors. I have a Mag Black 06 ZR, lmk if I can help you with anything!
Oh, I'll definitely require some advice with this awesome Z.

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Welcome, Jonuniv.
Hot car. I like the color.. Hell, I like all the Z colors. Interior looks to be in good shape, particularly the seats, despite it being a convertible. And I would just get the transmission adapter for your floor jack. You never know. You may need/want it down the road again. Enjoy your Z.
-Matt
Thanks Matt. Will see on Saturday (when my clutch kit arrives).

Originally Posted by dkmura
Curious what you think of the ergonomics of a Nissan vs. the Hondas you've owned? The controls on the Z are both simple, yet elegant. Just drove a '17 Civic Si sport and noticed how much better the feel of something like the gearshift throws are. What're your thoughts
I'm looking mostly on tech specs:
- first of all: it's FWD with RWD. I have RDX Tech '14 (FWD, fresh 273 hp, low mileage) and know how hard to get all HP to the front wheels (they slip). I've been on FWD all my life, Z is the first RWD and I'm amazed (maybe later I'll understand why people buy BMWs)!
- L4 (+\- turbo) vs V6. Even if they're close in 0-60, I'd go with V6, it's about torque, feeling and sound. And Honda's experience in turbo - it's RDX 1st gen and .. that's all. Hands down, they make outstanding engines (s2k F22C engine is a gem). So Z can be compared with s2000.
- FWD means that your transmission lever is connected to the gearbox through the cables - no lever shivering, more comfort, less feel.
- weight: Civic is lighter and Civic Coupe is roughly a just a 2dr sedan. It's very fast comfortable Corolla from Honda. It's really good car, attractive, but I can't imagine it's comparison with Z (or s2k).
- and the last (not least): there is a 10 years difference. Of course new car is more comfortable. I feel more comfortable is RDX as well, they all just different.

Ergonomics, the only thing I'm frustrated in Z by now is

Last edited by Jonuniv; 06-06-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice find

I have not seen a SO ZR before!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:59 AM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Ha! The cup holders aren't the best at all. I never use the sides (door) ones. The biggest "cup holder" if you must, is the under under the arm rest in the center. Not the one in between the two seats, but the way in the back.

But by now, you probably got thought about sizing down on the drinks. Although to myself, I can't even fit an Arizona can sold in your average store anywhere.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, the cup holders suck. I get an iced coffee every morning before work and I've already had it spill everywhere and it ruins my day cuz I NEED MY COFFEE.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Jonuniv

Yes, doors cupholders are horrible too :-)
I love my Contigo bottles, perfect for workouts and daily use and won't change them for something else!

Oh, totally forgot about missing USB connector. Will definitely find the DIY for it!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Very nice ride. I don't think I've ever seen a Solar Orange roadster. I love cars with color; you see so few of them on the road.

Congrats on the nice find.

(You'll get used to all the shortcomings on the car the first time you cruise it down Highway 1 between Point Reyes and the Golden Gate with the top down.)
Jonuniv (06-07-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Jonuniv

Ok. Two weeks ago I tried to start on a very steep hill (my wife learned how to). And then I realized that the car didn't go up... while clutch pedal was released. Then I saw smoke from underneath.
After that we backed up and returned home as usual. I knew that 71k miles enough for the OEM clutch.
Decided to start slowly by myself, didn't find the DIY for the HR engine, but the drill is pretty much the same as with DE. The only mistake was to do it without using a transmission jack, so removing transmission was rough, it slipped from the regular jack, but it was already pretty low so no damage:

By the way, it was pretty easy to get to all transmission bolts (saw some "demon" or "devil" bolts guys tried to deal with from under the hood ).

Here are my clutch disk, the pressure plate and the flywheel:

The pressure plate and the flywheel have very smooth surfaces, but as I understand were overheated. I'm sure that I'm the first guy who removed the transmission on this car (71k miles and it was still going well in NOT extreme conditions, pretty good for the OEM kit).

This is the only victim of the procedure (broke on the very last flywheel bolt):

After a long research on the forum and Joe's help I decided to go with South Bend Stage 2 Daily kit (+ CSC HD) and South Bend Flywheel 4140 Billet Steel. This kit look much much more solid an sturdy in comparison with the OEM one.

Have already changed the pilot bearing (paper+water+socket+hammer method rules), put the flywheel, the disk, the CSC and the pressure plate with proper torque specs.
As for transmission install - I think that any of my friends help won't be enough, I need a tool!
So I found the garage sale where I got a used Carolina Low Profile Transmission jack (not those cheap ones from harborfr...) in a good working condition for a very reasonable price (like 2-2.5 rent quotes), the piston is maintainable:

Will try to put it back myself today. To be continued....
Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Just seeing this for the first time.... a Solar orange ROADSTER Z? In my neck of the woods?? Wow, new one on me.

Nice ride. I work a couple days a week in Mtn View.... will have eyes peeled (and retinas burned when spotted) for a SO Z.
Jonuniv (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Jonuniv

Just put the transmission back a fewhours ago:

You'll see it on Mnt.View streets soon :-) for now it's in the garage:

One more thing (NOBODY mentioned it it any transmission DIY):
DRAIN TRANSMISSION FLUID BEFORE YOU START!!!!!

Last edited by Jonuniv; 06-13-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Jonuniv

All right, now I have this South Bend Stage 2 Daily (formerly Exedy) clutch installed.
CSC HD is working fine, shifts are smooths, actually almost no difference with the OEM clutch.

Two things I got:
- burning smell (it's gone after 30-50 miles). Now it's 150 miles of break-in period, 3500 RPM tops, no overloading, as many shifts as possible
- rattle from the "engaged" (clutch pedal depressed) transmission (or as I've read here, from the flywheel). It is minor on the idle and become really loud and annoying from 1000-1500 RPM to 2000-2500 PRM (especially on 2nd and 3rd gears). And, as I've read here, it is NORMAL for the solid lightweight flywheel (I've got 19 lb South Bend)

Transmission jack - it's a must have thing when you remove/install the transmission! Do not start the procedure without it!!!

Last edited by Jonuniv; 06-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.