Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Interested

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Jasen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested

So I'm in houston texas. I'm looking to build my car up from bottom starting with the easiest. I will be putting in TT when engine dies. So any ideas be grateful. I would like to work on it myself but I'm no mechanic. I learned from previous Z it's cheaper to do you're own work
Old 04-28-2018, 11:19 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jasen - answer these questions:

tell us about your experience building cars/engines?

what previous z did you have? what work did you do to it?

how old are you?

how much money do you have to put towards this project?

do you have full garage / shop / tools where you can work and keep the car when it's down?

do you have another vehicle to drive while the z is down?

have you researched other successful TT projects have been complete on this forum and/or other forums?

what is your overall goal for the car?

how do you anticipate tuning the car once it's TT'd
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Jasen

Ok well I'm 45. I'm a travel nurse. Buying another car. Tools no. My last Z I sent to a friend in Oregon to build so no I didnt do the work. I want this as my toy to race on weekends. I love the Z. I have money to do what I need with it but as of this moment still daily driver as why I need small cant ne tied up till I buy another car. Engine wise I plan on swapping unless a better idea? As I said I want to build it myself with help so I can replace and repair when need too. It's my baby and wife lol
Old 04-28-2018, 02:36 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

You'll get a thousand different opinions and do what you think is best...You'll see that on this forum we quite the array of dreamers who open with grandiose plans for their z and they arent in touch with reality...

all my opinions...I wont be bummbummhurt if you dont do anything I suggest...

Id def get another vehicle ... I daily a pickup and it's almost required for being in colorado with the winters ... but get something you can daily to keep the miles off the z and drive when the z is up in the air...

If you really want to do the work yourself get a 1.5 - 2 car garage where you can dedicate space/storage for your build. Might be good to invest in a nice toolbox, decent set of tools, nice work bench, stereo, lights, ect - just depending on how far you want to go with a garage setup.

a few options for the engine -

a 2jz, LS, RB swaps have been done but it's alot of work and nothing is guaranteed - read the other threads where people have successfully done this...

If it was me I would look into a built block if you want more than 450hp and put a single or twin turbo setup. I run twins but if I had it all over again I'd do a single front or single mid-mount...install, maintenance, trouble shooting is much easier.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Jasen

Thank you. Was going 2jz or la. I do have a garage and in houston I can get any car lol. I only have 90k on it but was thinking of getting a 2010-12 nismo. I'm def looking at all options. Got a 2jz I can get when ready. So I'm lost on investing in this one more or just holding out for 270.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Sorry- someone has to give the OP a reality check. With limited time, no tools and strictly limited skills, why consider BIG projects like an engine swap that you can't accomplish as a DIY. The Z car already comes with a world class VQ V6, why even consider a swap?

If you really intend to talk it to the track, I'd look at brakes and suspension as things you can go in your own garage. After that, work on yourself and your driving skills- those are skills that last a lifetime and can be used in a variety of situations (both road and track). Enjoy the Z- it's built to last if you don't **** it up!
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-29-2018), BluestreamDE (04-30-2018), MicVelo (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dkmura
why even consider a swap?
BC we live in American DK! And we can do whatever we want!

I'm not saying its a good idea(to swap engines), nor is it cost effective, but it can be done...

a unattached guy with a good job and a desire to do something is possible...at some point in time everyone was a beginning at something.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bealljk
BC we live in American DK! And we can do whatever we want!

I'm not saying its a good idea(to swap engines), nor is it cost effective, but it can be done...

a unattached guy with a good job and a desire to do something is possible...at some point in time everyone was a beginning at something.
Sure, it's a free country, so you can believe whatever the hell you want. But to actually accomplish something takes skills, knowledge and experience. My only point is you already asked the OP some good questions and his replies were he has no tools and the last car he had modded was by someone else.

Sure, engine swaps can be done- but advising someone who has very limited skills to do something on that scale makes little sense. He wants a DIY project but lacks the tools or skills to do much. It's an invitation to failure and there's more than enough of those on this board.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I know DK ... I hear what you're saying and I dont encourage anyone to swap on the VQ. I love mine and it kicks ***.

If the guy wants to give it a go - hes old enough, if he got through nursing school he's probably smart enough, if he wants to dump a ton of money into and learn the ropes who's to tell him not to? not me! give em h3ll!!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Jasen

At least I'm wanting to build it on my own. I'm not totally dumb to mechanics. I have done a engine swap before. So dont hate on me wanting to do it myself. Yes I did pay a mechanic before to do my last Z and? I do know how to drive lol I have already started on it i can buy tools lol. I'm sure you were a mechanic from day one right DK? Who you trying to fool. And the engine swap gives me what I want for 12k I would spend more on building this one to be the same. So you should check yourself. Have a good day
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM
coop3422

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sub's, curious where this goes. GL OP.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Jasen
At least I'm wanting to build it on my own. I'm not totally dumb to mechanics. I have done a engine swap before. So dont hate on me wanting to do it myself. Yes I did pay a mechanic before to do my last Z and? I do know how to drive lol I have already started on it i can buy tools lol. I'm sure you were a mechanic from day one right DK? Who you trying to fool. And the engine swap gives me what I want for 12k I would spend more on building this one to be the same. So you should check yourself. Have a good day
Not trying to fool anybody- I wasn't born with a wrench in my hand and continue to learn things every time I work on my street or race cars. Furthermore, there's no hate here- my only point is that there are better ways to start on a DIY project with a relatively sophisticated platform like the Z33. You asked for advice and I gave some. Period.

If you think you can do better than the world class V6 already in your car, well, it's a free country. Good luck and goodbye.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-30-2018), BluestreamDE (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Oh my gaaad.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasen
does that 12k include the purchase of the vehicle?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Jasen

No that's just the engine
Old 04-30-2018, 02:40 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

45second cost estimate...

built engine(including some head work) ($12k)
chassis/vehicle ($8k)
tools/garage initial setup ($3k)

tuning platform/accessories ($3k)
FI & IC ($12k)
tuning/dyno time ($1.5k)
cooling ($1.5k)
exhaust ($2k)
wheel/tires/brake upgrades($5k)
suspension upgrades ($5k)
clutch/flywheel/trans upgrades($4k)

+/-$57k to make 650hp - 800hp somewhat reliable?? Sounds reasonable right?

Jasen - if you think you want to go down this road I would highly encourage you to do so ... it may be (eeehhhhh ... outside of college and professional exam/certifications related to your RN) quite possibly the most fulfilling you'll do in your life.

I wouldnt let anyone who's 'hating' discourage you (as this is the main function of this forum) but I would listen to what the respected members of this forum are warning you about.

next, go to the bank and get out $57,000 in cash and sit in on your coffee table and ask yourself if you want a built rocketship Z sled or you want that $57k in your bank account.

I have more than $57k invested in my setup (including the car) all things considered since buying the car back in 2005. Would I do it all over again?? I can't answer that question but damn, it's been a fun ride and I'm a much smarter and well rounded person as it relates to cars - which sometimes money cannot buy.

If you decide to go down this route create a build page to document your build, trials, tribulations

Last edited by bealljk; 04-30-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:42 PM
travlee
Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rivetrain.html

Last edited by travlee; 04-30-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

relink link Trav

Last edited by bealljk; 04-30-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:38 PM
travlee
Master

Crap.. my phone being a pos and wont let me paste the link. Stand by will post it tomorrow

essentially its a built ls7 and trans from a z28 with 600hp for $13500
Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Dreamer thread.

OP makes post, calls ppl with logical comments and questions haters. There are soo many seasoned mechanics, professional racers and veterans on the VQ platform here and he chooses to be a sourpuss child with an attitude disrespectin moderators. Don't %$@& where you eat.

I wouldnt give ppl like him the time of day.
The following 2 users liked this post by BluestreamDE:
MicVelo (04-30-2018), travlee (05-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Interested