Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

2013 370Z Touring - clutch and emergency brake questions - new to 370z and Nissa

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 09:16 AM
a_gunslinger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 370Z Touring - clutch and emergency brake questions - new to 370z and Nissa

My young son just purchased a really clean 2013 370z Touring, 52K miles. Im a pretty good DIY driveway mechanic for most basics, but new to the Z and Nissan overall. Couple questions right off the bat. Appreciate any knowledge as I start this journey:
  1. CLUTCH: I recall the salesman (kid) stalling the Z when he brought it around for us to take for an inspection. When I drove it, I noticed the clutch was a bit touchy out at first, and it seemed like you had to release the clutch pedal pretty far to hit the friction point. Not the smoothest between 2-3 gears either, but then again, I'm not used to driving a sporty engine/clutch (just a 5-speed Honda Accord ;^). Different animals. The first thing out of the mechanic's mouth after he drove it up on the lift was, "This may need a new clutch soon". Rest of the car checked out great, no current or historic codes, super clean engine bay, no deal breaker issues - well, except the clutch. Back at the dealer we told them our findings and that the clutch was a dealing point. They claimed clutch was fine, and if it was failing its an As-Is car. Son went to their service department and got a quote from Nissan ($1700 with flywheel - aftermarket / $3100 OEM). THEN, one of the other sales managers mentions he believes the previous owner installed a clutch because there was new clutch documentation in the glove box at trade-in. He went back to service to see if they had tossed the papers, and they had. So that leaves me with these quandary questions:

Is that a 370Z sportscar thing - a longer clutch release to engagement? I would think it would be the other way around. Just odd that the mechanic said it as well. He seemed like a very good mechanic, but maybe just doesnt know sportscars?

And would you need to put a new clutch in at 54K?
    Could the new clutch have been installed incorrectly?
    Could it be some popular aftermarket clutch Z owners like?

I guess I wont be able to answer some of these questions - just pondering.
  2. Clutch-clicking: On the test drive and on the 2-hour drive home, quiet clutch. Yesterday, there is a clicking when pedal reaches floor and again when released. Today, not doing it. Seems a common issue on other vehicles, usually a rubber bushing that has deteriorated. But I see no spot for rubber bushing up there.
  3. E-brake: I noticed on the test drive e-brake wouldn't hold the car on a grade. New rotors were put on all around. I checked the adjustment nut on the cable under the cup holder. It was touching the metal e-brake bracket - was hoping it would be not touching it and noticeably out of adjustment. I did tighten it further and at about 8 more turns it began to bite and hold. Anything unique to these e-brakes? Just because tightening that nut helped doesn't mean it's the real issue I presume - or that it's now rubbing while while driving now (ie not udjusted right).
It's a super clean car the previous owner took very good care of. I see no evidence of any engine, exhaust or suspension mods. He traded it in for a 2024 Z. Even if we have to put a new clutch in its solid and we got a good deal. I've always been apprehensive of these cars and all the mods the aficionados make to them. Nothing wrong with mods, but dont want to get a vehicle where some kid did the mods themselves, but didnt do it it well. I'm old school, and I believe engineers design an engine and all its components a certain way for a reason. And randomly modifying without adjusting interdependent systems around that mod can go wrong.

Anyway, thank you!

Old 07-13-2024, 10:22 AM
Richard303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

Congrats on the 370Z purchase! As a Z owner myself, I can share a bit from my experience. The clutch engagement point being high is somewhat common in these cars and can vary if an aftermarket clutch was installed. It’s possible that the previous owner installed a performance clutch, which can feel different from stock. As for the clutch replacement at 54K miles, it’s on the early side but not unheard of, especially if driven hard. The clicking noise might just be a simple fix like lubricating the pedal assembly.

For the e-brake, tightening the nut usually does the trick, but keep an eye on it to ensure it’s holding well without rubbing. Enjoy the Z—it’s a fantastic car!

Richard

Last edited by Richard303; 07-13-2024 at 10:24 AM.