Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Suggestions for new Stereo please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Tarzan_0802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for new Stereo please!!

I finally decided that I want to upgrade the stereo on the NISMO to something better, I'm looking for something with a screen that will fill the space. I saw that people suggested the Pioneer AVIC-D3, but I was wondering what else you guys would recommend. Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
RANDY350Z

I an the D3 great unit, although the N4 has a slightly better ipod interface plus you can use the indash DVD changer.

The Alpine IVA-w505 looks great I would recommend either. Goto crutchfield and download the owners manual.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
bkreitzer

Originally Posted by Tarzan_0802
I finally decided that I want to upgrade the stereo on the NISMO to something better, I'm looking for something with a screen that will fill the space. I saw that people suggested the Pioneer AVIC-D3, but I was wondering what else you guys would recommend. Thanks for the help guys
I looked a great deal last year when I was facing the decision you are now. I personally like the Pioneer interfaces the best. Either the DVD based or HDD based Navi from Pioneer works great in the car. I went with the AVIC-D3 and yes I would also recommend it.

Some of the Eclispe models are also used.

FYI: I installed the Pioneer D3 with Bluetooth, XM, PAC steering wheel control interface and a Boyo backup camera, so let me know if you have any questions about the install process.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
chunky_baby

Originally Posted by bkreitzer
I looked a great deal last year when I was facing the decision you are now. I personally like the Pioneer interfaces the best. Either the DVD based or HDD based Navi from Pioneer works great in the car. I went with the AVIC-D3 and yes I would also recommend it.

Some of the Eclispe models are also used.

FYI: I installed the Pioneer D3 with Bluetooth, XM, PAC steering wheel control interface and a Boyo backup camera, so let me know if you have any questions about the install process.
Can you show us some pics please?

I am seriously considering upgrading mine too... it just pisses me off how tinny it all sounds.

I do want to keep it stock... but it might tempt me if it looks good. I have a Garmin too, and I'd probably want to fit that professionally too as when I accelerate it falls off the sticky mounting
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
glbeckjr

Definately Kenwood DNX 8120... if you can wait for it. IMO
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Noc748

IMO, if your an average audio guy then the D3 will do the job, but not it's a great audio system builders unit. I have my D3 sitting in a box yet from my STi which im gonna install in the Z soon. Its pretty good, but i found the audio customization features lacking and could never really dial in the right settings. But if you just want an improvement over the stock with GPS, DVD etc .....the D3 rocks.

Last edited by Noc748; 04-18-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
kaspia

Originally Posted by glbeckjr
Definately Kenwood DNX 8120... if you can wait for it. IMO
Agree. I am looking at the this Kenwood model too.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM
brick

I'm also in the market, has anyone read a comparison of these headunits? Anything else to consider? I'm really about quality. I would rather pay a little extra and get something good that will last, compared to wishing I bought something else. Which trim kits are you guys using?

Kenwood DNX 8120
Pioneer AVIC-D3
Alpine IVA-w505
Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just ordered my DNX7120.

Built-In Navigation - No DVD required. Updates are done through an SD-Card slot hidden behind the front face panel.
High-Speed USB 2.0 Ipod Control - Very high-speed ipod control with ability to play video, listen to music, and view photos through the headunit.
Much, much more features.

Got it for $999
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 PM
ZPHILE

Default Make sure you get the cosmetic stuff for DD!!!!

Originally Posted by Tarzan_0802
As far as radios I have a DDX-8019 Kenwood (yeah no NAV included - but I added it on) - best quality radio I've ever had. I love it. But whatever you get make sure that you get the Metra 99-7602 finishing kit for DD radios for '06 to -'08 interiors. DD radios are not direct swap for Z's. This finisher makes it professional.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Tarzan_0802

Thanks guys, so far I like the reviews I'm reading on the Kenwood DNX 8120.

I'm going to shop around and see if I can find some good pricing down here in San Diego, any suggestions of where to find one for a good price?

I'll let you guys know what I decide etc. I'm not going to get it in the immediate future unless of course the deal is good, then I have no problem getting that bad boy bought and payed for.

But so far you guys just say it's a toss between the Kenwood DNX 8120 and the D3?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Noc748

My review of the D3:

Keep in mind too that the D3 needs the NAV DVD in the drive to fully use the GPS. If you take out the DVD to put a CD in, it saves a 75 square mile radius from the point where you hit eject. So you can still use the map, but it has a limited zoom, cant enter a destination or use other GPS featues and once you drive past the memorized map the GPS function becomes useless.

I works great if you hook up an iPod and have all your music come in thru the ipod cable and leave the Nav DVD all the time. But if your an audiophile and want CD quality sound, the constant swapping of DVD is annoying. The potential for scratching the NAV DVD is another thing to worry about.

If you have a Dual Layer DVD burner in your computer you can make backups of the NAV DVD's and leave the master discs at home. Last i checked the discs are not copy protected, unlike most OEM DVD's.

The nav system is pretty easy to use. Lots of route, destination, memorized location and other things. Direction giving is also good. The only thing that I dont like about it, is the map screen isn't as nice as some of the newer nav systems that have that nice 3rd person video game view.

The DVD feature is okay. Decent picture for a nav screen. The audio output while watching a DVD sucks though. You have to crank it to hear the dvd, double that if you have test pipes and cat back. Then BE VERY CAREFUL not to change the source. I did by accident and i think i blew out my speakers that day. Overall a good feature, but not great.

The audio is nice. It has a 12 band EQ, staging, subwoofer controls, LP filters, HP filters, loudness, gain and all the usual stuff. It sounds nice, but it took me forever to find the right settings. As soon as i dial it in for one CD, it would sound like *** for another cd.

If i had a choice to buy a new unit again without a budget i'd buy the Pioneer Z2, but if had to keep it in the 1000 dollar range, the D3 is still a great headunit.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
VENOMSZ

Alpine IDA-X100.
Not a full screen, but definately a top notch unit.
I just had mine put in on Friday.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Ataru074

I agree on the X100
Old 04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
brick

Anyone have any experience with the Eclipse AVN6620? I'm not too kean on the DVD nav, but its got 5V preouts which is more appealing to me.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DNX8120 here for $1299

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+DNX8120.html
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
chunky_baby

Any ideas on a good system with no Navigation?

I already have the Garmin, so looking to plug them in separately
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
bkreitzer

Originally Posted by chunky_baby
Can you show us some pics please?

I am seriously considering upgrading mine too... it just pisses me off how tinny it all sounds.

I do want to keep it stock... but it might tempt me if it looks good. I have a Garmin too, and I'd probably want to fit that professionally too as when I accelerate it falls off the sticky mounting
I will post pics after I detail the Z for the West Coast Z Nationals this weekend. The trim kit works well! I realize that there are "better" HUs out there, but you have to ask yourself what exactly will I use with all the features?

I am not trying to sell this unit as I do not work for Pioneer, but for me the price, Navi interface, expandable options, and the digital gauges were the key selling points. I knew that my Nismo is loud on the road, I hated the look of the factory unit, and I was on a budget.

I installed all of the components for a total cost of $1350, so ask yourself again... what will I do in the car???

The back-up camera and bluetooth components were the best upgrades as I cant see s*** out of the back of the Nismo, and it really helps to back into parking spaces.

I am installing some new Sony 6.5" speakers soon as the front door stock speakers are crap! These speakers do not require an additional amp as the RMS power from the D3 should provide enough juice. I consider myself an audiophile, so I am slowly tweaking the Z to get the sound I want...

ALSO... consider installing the Dynamat Xtreme trunk kit in the hatch and you will notice a quieter interior and better sound. Just be sure to wear gloves as the material will slice you up when cut! ... my DNA is on some of the pieces...lol... you will use 4 of the 5 provided sheets to cover the hatch.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subcribing. I want to atleast replace the stock speakers with something better and add an IPOD connection.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Tarzan_0802

sweet, thanks guys

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new Stereo please!!