Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Torn...keep my Evo 9 MR or switch to a Nismo 350z

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torn...keep my Evo 9 MR or switch to a Nismo 350z

I knew someday I'd make this post. After a year of switching to an Evo 9 MR because my 03 Z is a 5AT and I wanted a manual, I have an urge to move back into a 350z and what's better than going straight to a Nismo Z. I've built an integra, a 350z, and an Evo 9 and simply starting from scratch is just too much. I want to get a specialty car that I can just enjoy and do a few upgrades but not much. I started looking at Nismo Zs lately and found a nice PPW (first choice for color) with 3k miles on her and is a real beauty. Dealer's asking 30k but I'm confident I can get it down to 27-28k and then trade in my 9 MR for 20k + tax credit. at least that's what I'm hoping for. Parting out my MR should yield 7-8 k so I'll be putting down about 10k and taking the rest out on a loan.

A part of me wants to keep the 9 MR for the boost and the AWD thrill. The Nismo won't be as quick (my 9 is at 312 awhp / 310 tq) but I think the Nismo is a lot prettier (gotta love coupes!) I'm in MBA school now and I was thinking just keeping the Evo til I'm done in 2-3 years but I don't think I'll be looking at another car then - I'll save for a house at that point. So my thoughts is to get a Nismo Z now...then have her for at least the next 5-6 years and not switch car til after I buy my first home To be honest I get plenty of attention with the Evo - both bad and good (having 16yrs old with daddy's mustangs trying to race and yell out profanity really is annoying - especially when my gf is in the car)

If you guys have any thoughts please share. Please try to be reasonable with the comments as I am seeking advice For those of you who don't know me, I used to drive an 03 Z

The Evo 9 MR[08-09]

My old Z [07-08]

My old teg [03 -07]

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 07-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you get bored with your cars and your mods too quickly :P. when will it end?!

if you can afford it, and want to do it, do it! your evo is nice though and by no means is this a practical swap. you will throw more money into the nismo even if you try to tell yourself it's already set up the way you want it.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a GTR.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you really want to think about the future, i.e. buy a house down the road, I think the best option would be to keep the Evo, and just keep saving up your money down the road.

I was also considering an Evo IX before I got my Z.

Personally, being in school as well, I know a 4 door is much more practical for me, even though I do have a Z, I sometimes wish i had opted for the Evo...

If the "attention" is too much for you in the Evo, I can't really believe that a Nismo Z would really change that dramatically, and if that's really a big issue, i'd just tone down the Evo a bit to make it a little less "stand-out-ish" i.e. wingless??

Anyways, it's your decision, and your in the best possible position to make the decision for yourself. Good Luck! Let us know what you decide!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had a really sick z, and YOUR Evo was the first one I've seen that I thought looked sexy. The Nismo is nice stock, but you have a good eye for aesthetics. This, and the fact that you love to mod (I remember what a wheel ***** you are) leads me to believe you'd be better off getting another regular z and tricking it out again... It might be cheaper than the Nismo, would be more unique, and would satisfy your mod bug.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
J's 350z!

Your evo is so nice. I have driven both and before the z I almost bought an evo 9 as well. I loved the whole turbo and awd pick up it had that the z lacks unless its F.I. But I loved the look of the z and I don't regret buying mine but at times I do wish I had that evo because of the more room. Your evo is one of the sickest ive seen very nice!

Last edited by J's 350z!; 07-13-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, you've obviously done your homework and the financials look good enough to swing.

How much of a loss are you taking on the Evo? If its not too great compared to the relative savings between what the NISMO is new I would do it.

My current Z is my second Z that I've owned so I know how it feels to want to get back into a Z
Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Thanks guys, I know I get bored of my cars easily but the Z says a lot since I have such a desire to go back to one. One of my biggest draw towards it is the Z heritage and the Nismo racing heritage. I am very brand loyal and tends to support that through my purchases. I feel that the fact that there is a Nismo version of a car available means that I need to own one in my life time.

I think with everything said, I can see myself driving a Nismo Z for the next 5 years - the Nismo Z does not give off that racer-boy image and that will help because I would be 28 by then. Whereas, the Evo - though a VERY competitive and beautiful car- will not fit my image when I turn 28 (strictly personal opinion though)

I will be taking a 4-5k loss on the Evo, however it's not much considering the economic downturn and I have put 24k miles on it in a year (commuting miles). I will try to get a beater car as to not drive the Z so much (maybe 6-8k a year tops on the new car).

I also LOVE the Z/G community. It's not that the Evo community isn't great, but the Z community has a more brotherly feel in the NW section that I miss. I still go work out with my Z friends and talk to many of them til this day. That's something money can't buy.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM
amorin4122

i can only imagine what your nismo will look like. good luck and i hope your happy with your decision.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Thanks guys, I know I get bored of my cars easily but the Z says a lot since I have such a desire to go back to one. One of my biggest draw towards it is the Z heritage and the Nismo racing heritage. I am very brand loyal and tends to support that through my purchases. I feel that the fact that there is a Nismo version of a car available means that I need to own one in my life time.

I think with everything said, I can see myself driving a Nismo Z for the next 5 years - the Nismo Z does not give off that racer-boy image and that will help because I would be 28 by then. Whereas, the Evo - though a VERY competitive and beautiful car- will not fit my image when I turn 28 (strictly personal opinion though)

I will be taking a 4-5k loss on the Evo, however it's not much considering the economic downturn and I have put 24k miles on it in a year (commuting miles). I will try to get a beater car as to not drive the Z so much (maybe 6-8k a year tops on the new car).

I also LOVE the Z/G community. It's not that the Evo community isn't great, but the Z community has a more brotherly feel in the NW section that I miss. I still go work out with my Z friends and talk to many of them til this day. That's something money can't buy.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
It doesn't...when I had my Z last year all modded out, I had compliments from Ferrari owners and though *some* kids tried to race, it was NO WHERE NEAR what I've been dealing with with the Evo.

Just last Friday some idiotic kids in a convertable mustang yelled out "fuuuuuck evos" and all of them flicked me off then pealed out. Normally I wouldn't care but when my gf is in the car that REALLY ticked me off. I didn't do anything about it because I don't want to stoop to their level. I just don't want to deal with that bs and it's not the first time. The evo screams race me whereas the nismo z screams this is a badass car that is expensive.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 AM
duro78

i agree unless your dumping $ into your car constantly changing it you get bored and when its finally done you really get tired of it. You had a z already how bout something different. Why go further into debt-1. trading in a car that you havent had long enough to avoid being so upside down in. 2.Especially for something you already had already. Since nissan flooded the market with z's our cars have depreciated drastically ( in 2004 the 350z was projected to be in the top 5 in resale value ehh lol). With what you owe compared to what its worth you say theres a 5k difference not sure if you checked galves but thats already $120 your adding to your new payment right off the bat plus at a higher rate of interest. I was in the car biz for 5 years imho thats the worst financial decision you can make right now. I wouldnt even think of getting out of that evo for another few years. Thumbs up on your modding eye very tasteful
Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 AM
rotchcrocket04

I'd keep the Evo. It's a beautiful car - hell I'd take an Evo over a Nismo Z... just my personal opinion, I don't like the look of the Nismos.

Now if you were debating between an 08 Z or the Evo that would make it more difficult to decide, but I would probably still advise to keep the Evo.

Financially, keeping the Evo is a wise decision. It's a great car, potential if you want to go further with it, and **** the ricer drama. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just remember, you're the better/more mature one. I'm known to make poor financial decisions of my own... lol... so if you truly want the Z, get it bro. Do what makes you happy.

-Edit for a big for your choice in modding. Very clean and good looking cars!

Last edited by rotchcrocket04; 07-14-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Without a doubt keep the Evo! That thing is sick!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 AM
JZurita

Every car will be owned by race-boy's eventually.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Hard decision man. I know you like to mod and I would almost tell you not to get a NISMO 350Z and just a HR 350Z because of that. But if you really do plan to not do a ton to the car, then get the NISMO.

The HR has the compatibility to make over 310+ rwhp with just a few bolt ons and tune. The TQ won't be as high as the EVO though but the HP will be. There are also NISMOs used going for around 22-24k now.

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 07-14-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
GalvatronType_R

Trade in the Evo and buy a Camry Solara convertible or a Sebring convertible.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
rotchcrocket04

Another addition:

I know you said you don't want to mod as much, that's why you're looking to get the Nismo. However, that's what I said about the Z. After coming from a pretty heavily modded car before the Z, I just wanted to "take it easy" and drive the Z for what it was.

After a few months I wanted an intake.... then exhaust... then plenum spacer. Then I wanted different wheels because the stockers are hideous. Then I wanted spacers so it would be more flush. Then I wanted better handling done right with coilovers/camber kits. Now my Seibon CF lip is on the way. Here it goes again. but I love every minute and mod of it.

Make sure you'll stick to that theory of not modding too much. If you don't, the extra money for a Nismo will be a waste.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Hsummer

I would have to say stick with the Evo, that thing looks sexy man, plus it has a lot more potential than a nismo.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 AM
lgear080

House! Wait 2-3 years and you'll pay easily 20% higher prices
on most real property. Go to foreclosure auctions and pickup
an asset that won't depreciate.

Quick Reply: Torn...keep my Evo 9 MR or switch to a Nismo 350z